Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chimney damper/closure

• 03-10-2011 3:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

We've started to use our open fire after many years but only plan to use it occasionally. As a result, I have removed what we had permanently stuffed up the fireplace to stop drafts.

On the occasions that we wont be using the fire, which is more often than when we will be using it, I'd like a solution to block off the chimney to stop drafts.

I've seen 2 devices on the market

Chimney Damper by Eco Efficiency

Chimney Closure

The chimney damper by eco efficiency is €275 supplied & fitted and the chimney closure is €375 supplied & fitted

We have a crow guard already installed, but doesnt seem to stop smaller birds coming in and I've seen crows squeezing thro them aswell

Does anybody have either of the above products and if so, share your experience of them?

Is the product from eco efficiency just a flap that closes the opening when the chain is pulled? Is there a chance over the years that the seal on this could be compromised with soot build up?

Just wondering what the pros & cons of both products are...

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Judging by the forecasts for the winter comming,you will be using he fireplace more than you think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

paddy147 wrote: »
    Judging by the forecasts for the winter comming,you will be using he fireplace more than you think.

I have oil c/h so only plan to use the fire place on weekends

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    I have oil c/h so only plan to use the fire place on weekends

make sure you give that a good service too,as with the icecold snowy weather comming,you dont want that packing up on you.when you need it most.

regards.:)

paddy147 wrote: »
    make sure you give that a good service too,as with the icecold snowy weather comming,you dont want that packing up on you.when you need it most.

regards.:)

done this morning

Theres also the chimney baloon aswell.

You put it inside the fireplace and inflate it to create a seal,which prevents down draughts.

When you want to use the fire again,you deflate it and take it out.

Simples.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

We got one of the chimney closers fitted to one of our unused chimneys earlier this year. The spring is quite strong and needs a lot of strength to pull closed. It cost €250 fitted by a guy in Cork. Will need the winter to tell if it works.

Wyldwood wrote: »
    We got one of the chimney closers fitted to one of our unused chimneys earlier this year. The spring is quite strong and needs a lot of strength to pull closed. It cost €250 fitted by a guy in Cork. Will need the winter to tell if it works.

thats much more competitive compared to the price I've been given...can you PM me his details?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

You had more luck getting a response on this topic than I did on the BER forum: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056405967

Anyway, beware that while companies who fit chimney dampers like the one you mentioned claim the product is exclusive to them, this appears not to be the case as I came across the exact same product being offered by several other companies.

As for what you term the chimney closure yoke, this in my opinion is seriously overpriced for what it is. Incidentally it's 150 quid in a builder providers if you want to fit it yourself. But it's just a few bits of steel and chains. Issue is that the chains can apparently go brittle and break over time with the heat in the chimney and also the main spring can seize up over time. There's apparently a second chain required as a backup should the main one fail (which I was told can be every year if the fire is used regularly!). At least the other device is easily accessible from the fireplace and also operates on a much simpler principal.

MrThrifty wrote: »
    You had more luck getting a response on this topic than I did on the BER forum: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056405967

Anyway, beware that while companies who fit chimney dampers like the one you mentioned claim the product is exclusive to them, this appears not to be the case as I came across the exact same product being offered by several other companies.

As for what you term the chimney closure yoke, this in my opinion is seriously overpriced for what it is. Incidentally it's 150 quid in a builder providers if you want to fit it yourself. But it's just a few bits of steel and chains. Issue is that the chains can apparently go brittle and break over time with the heat in the chimney and also the main spring can seize up over time. There's apparently a second chain required as a backup should the main one fail (which I was told can be every year if the fire is used regularly!). At least the other device is easily accessible from the fireplace and also operates on a much simpler principal.

ya I'm skeptical about the chain and its longevity and getting brittle...

I think 375 for this is a ridiculous price...problem is I'm not a big fan of heights so would need it fitted but dont like the idea of having to play someone then to come out if the thing broke..

at least like you say the one just inside the chimney is easily accessible

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭igorbiscan

Recently put in a chimney balloon €30 in woodies.Cheap,simple to install and so far seems effective enough to me,had some howling wind last week n had no draught:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Rocky2525

Put a Chimney Closure in about 4 years ago as we only light the open fire about 3 or 4 times a year. The only problem I find, is a strong smell of sooth for days after fire is lit. I am now leaving it open for a couple of weeks after each fire to try and avoid this problem. I agree with Mr Trifty about the price.... I fitted it my self. Might try the baloon thing, sounds more suitable for my situtation.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jc bamford

If thinking of spending over €300 on a Chimney Closure why nor go a couple of hundred euro more and get one of the cheaper 'easy fit' insert stoves. It would do the same job and a lot more besides (if your fireplace is suitable)

Advertisement