Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bipolar support question

Options
  • 03-10-2011 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭

Hi there, I appreciate that there is a significant ongoing bipolar thread so hope it's ok to start another, would love to hear from those that have this illness and so can advise.

I have a family member with bipolar, has been on depression meds for probably ten years + but only been treated for bipolar for last couple of years. While it is posssible to get info, just wondering what those who have this illness see as the best practical supports from family / friends especially during manic phases

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Don't have the illness (recently rediagnosed) but some ideas for you:

1) Don't be afraid to hospitalise someone who is out of control. Sometimes a person needs to be in a safe environment where they can't cause themselves harm (physical, financial, social or whatever).

2) Have a plan worked out with the person when they're in a good patch about what to do when they're high (or low) and stick to it when they're in a mood swing. Know ahead of time at what point to call their psychiatrist and so on.

3) Talk to their psychiatrist about this to find out specific supports related to the specific case that might be relevant here.

I hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

nesf wrote: »
    Don't have the illness (recently rediagnosed) but some ideas for you:

1) Don't be afraid to hospitalise someone who is out of control. Sometimes a person needs to be in a safe environment where they can't cause themselves harm (physical, financial, social or whatever).

2) Have a plan worked out with the person when they're in a good patch about what to do when they're high (or low) and stick to it when they're in a mood swing. Know ahead of time at what point to call their psychiatrist and so on.

3) Talk to their psychiatrist about this to find out specific supports related to the specific case that might be relevant here.

I hope this helps.

Thank you,

Your second point is very good, wouldn't have thought of that, family member is currently in a safe environment so no problem there.

Biggest problem is unhelpful family (due to ignorance of illness) which I'm working on, trying to educate them.

Advertisement