Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to ban cigarettes?

Options
  • 03-10-2011 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

I suppose the country is fooked. I don't imagine anyone wants to pay for more patients to sit around in hospital corridors.

Seems to me there's less kids hanging around the school gates with a fag in hand. Is it tipping point do you think? Would there be bigger numbers supporting a ban on sale of cigettes than against?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

the government make a lot of money from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

And send all that tax off into the hands of black market dealers? I think not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Having people die off early by the end of their working life and not pay their pensions may save money if you want to be cold about it

Woud be an interesting project for a student I reckon
    Yeah, it does seem realy cold to type this but the OP asked about the cost

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭stephen_k

Hang on.... *takes out smoke, lights, inhales, long slow exhale AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH* Now..... Where was I..... oh yeah.... F*ck Off!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

robbie_998 wrote: »
    the government make a lot of money from it.

Nah, let them smoke away; the world will be better off without the sort of moronic scum that smokes anyway. If anything we should be increasing the amount of carcinogens in Cigarette and throw in more arsenic so that smokers would die off sooner. The dole queue would automatically almost halve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

Wouldnt make a difference, theres enough people selling knock off cigerettes on the black market!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

It'll never happen. Too many people rely on smoking sections to pull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Why cigarettes?

Why not alcohol?

People are always trying to tell others what to do....sad really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

mikemac wrote: »
    Having people die off early by the end of their working life and not pay their pensions may save money if you want to be cold about it

Woud be an interesting project for a student I reckon
    Yeah, it does seem realy cold to type this but the OP asked about the cost

Yeah, always wondered that. Does it make money or lose money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I suppose the country is fooked. I don't imagine anyone wants to pay for more patients to sit around in hospital corridors.

Seems to me there's less kids hanging around the school gates with a fag in hand. Is it tipping point do you think? Would there be bigger numbers supporting a ban on sale of cigettes than against?

Are you feeling OK ?
    Do you want us to seek urgent medical attention for yourself from the men in the grey coats ?

Banning cigarettes !! Why don't ye just ban everything or better yet just blow the whole planet up so nobody can do anything anymore !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Yeah because prohibition really works.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Stinicker wrote: »
    Nah, let them smoke away; the world will be better off without the sort of moronic scum that smokes anyway. If anything we should be increasing the amount of carcinogens in Cigarette and throw in more arsenic so that smokers would die off sooner. The dole queue would automatically almost halve.

Moronic scum? Are you actually for real? Bet you wouldn't hook up with a lingerie model if she liked a few Marlboro Gold's with her fizzy wine at the weekends would you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

Nah, let them smoke away; the world will be better off without the sort of moronic scum that smokes anyway.

LMFAO..If you ask ME the world would be much better off without the kind of dry-****s that dont smoke!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

4Sheets wrote: »
    LMFAO..If you ask ME the world would be much better off without the kind of dry-****s that dont smoke!

Ok I'm not sure which one of you two is worse now...

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

With the money the goverment would lose from the duty paid on fags theyed have to re-coup it elsewhere.

Bad idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Only moronic scum on the dole smoke.you trying to get us to give them up?

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

Ill bet any money your parents or grandparents smoked at some stage. Are they moronic scum?

You sound like a miserable friendless chap.

No. I don't like it and I can't imagine why people do it to themselves, but they should be allowed to if they want. Just don't puff your smoke into my face and it's all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Skullsri

Stinicker just another keyboard warrior with no proper input into what is a stupid thread anyway if people want to smoke let them if they want to drink let them its everyones personal choice at the end of the day..simples..

• Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Ban them? Not a chance, just keep raising the tax take on them and clamp down even more on tobacco smuggling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

You're cute.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Ban them? Not a chance, just keep raising the tax take on them and clamp down even more on tobacco smuggling.

If they keep raising the tax on them that will only lead to an increase in smuggling and black market trade. They're already close to 9 euro a pack with taxes included.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

hondasam wrote: »
    Only moronic scum on the dole smoke.you trying to get us to give them up?

Hey now, I may be moronic and on the dole. I am not scum!

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

Funny I would have agreed with the OP when I was smoking, as that may have forced me to quit.

But realistically I would have got them on the black market and be forced to deal with criminals, something I wouldn't relish.

But now as a confirmed X smoker, I would rather the government getting the duty then the criminals getting the raw profits. I know illegal drugs are different animal, but again I would rather the public purse and legitimate businesses who would create legal jobs, then again, the money going to crims.

4leto wrote: »
    Funny I would have agreed with the OP when I was smoking, as that may have forced me to quit.

But realistically I would have got them on the black market and be forced to deal with criminals, something I wouldn't relish.

But now as a confirmed X smoker, I would rather the government getting the duty then the criminals getting the raw profits. I know illegal drugs are different animal, but again I would rather the public purse and legitimate businesses who would create legal jobs, then the money going to crims.

What's an X and how do you smoke it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Moronic scum? Are you actually for real? Bet you wouldn't hook up with a lingerie model if she liked a few Marlboro Gold's with her fizzy wine at the weekends would you?

Nah, I'll let them for you and get a classy woman who has a real scent besides stale cigarettes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Hey now, I may be moronic and on the dole. I am not scum!

:pac:

I'm not moronic, scum or on the dole but I do smoke and I hate the fact I smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

Nah, I'll let them for you and get a classy woman who has a real scent besides stale cigarettes.

Since when is Stella Artois a scummy drink?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

Blah blah blah Smokers are jokers blah blah blah.... How many times has this topic been done?? Everyone knows it will never be banned, about 60% (prob even more at this stage) of the cost of a pack of smokes is government tax.... why would the government ban people giving them that kind of money.........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

OP here. Contravertial opinion I know. But why not? Realistically the black market is doing great trade anyway in everything. I don't see it as a reason to continue selling fajkis legally.

There's benefits to it. Health benefits, financial benefits. We could get great publicity from an international perspective.

Advertisement