Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to ban cigarettes?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Seems to me there's less kids hanging around the school gates with a fag in hand.

Do you spend much time at school gates watching kids? Because that's a bit creepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The Agogo wrote: »
    Since when is Stella Artois a scummy drink?

Its known as wife beater in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Stinicker wrote: »
    Nah, let them smoke away; the world will be better off without the sort of moronic scum that smokes anyway.

I smoke. If you're ever at an AH beers come say that to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

TheZohan wrote: »
    I smoke. If you're ever at an AH beers come say that to me.

FIGHTFIGHTFIGHT

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

OP here. Contravertial opinion I know. But why not? Realistically the black market is doing great trade anyway in everything. I don't see it as a reason to continue selling fajkis legally.

There's benefits to it. Health benefits, financial benefits. We could get great publicity from an international perspective.

What about all the tourists who would decide to stay away because of the ban. A significant percentage of the world's population smoke, particularly Europeans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Nation 98

Sure why not ban everything and live in a full on totalitarian world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I think we should ban everything!

Smokes
    Alcohol
    Food that arent vegetables and rice cakes
    Coffee and teas (too much caffine)
    Cars
    Blue paint

Everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Nah, let them smoke away; the world will be better off without the sort of moronic scum that smokes anyway. If anything we should be increasing the amount of carcinogens in Cigarette and throw in more arsenic so that smokers would die off sooner. The dole queue would automatically almost halve.

Hyperbole is fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Snakeblood wrote: »
    FIGHTFIGHTFIGHT

Ah no, there'd be no fight. Ya see people post silly things on t'internet that they'd never say to people in real life, at least I hope they wouldn't.

Stupid people that say inappropriate things to the wrong people cost the state more than smokers ever would. Our A&E departments aren't crowded with smokers, they're crowded with people that have done themselves a mischief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

..Brian.. wrote: »
    And send all that tax off into the hands of black market dealers? I think not!

They're happy enough to do it with Cannabis. Probably a billion Euro industry in this country not paying a cent in tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

There's benefits to it. Health benefits, financial benefits. We could get great publicity from an international perspective.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here but i reckon the tax generated by sales far outstrips the cost with regard to medical care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

No i don't think they should be banned. Couldn't care less if they raise the tax on them though.

I feel the smoking ban was one of the best decisions of a government in this country though.

I do also think, that failure to comply with the ban should come with a higher punishment and i also think that people who dispose of cigarette butts on the ground should be specifically target under litter laws and have higher penalties for breach of this too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

Oranage2 wrote: »

Smokes
    Alcohol
    Cars
    Blue paint

Everything!

NOT THE BLUE PAINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I'm going to die early and save the state paying out a pension. I'm also voluntarily paying extra tax every single day to fund the country. I'm a Patriot tbh. Name a train station or bridge after me when I'm gone.

/lights up ciggy and thinks of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

. The dole queue would automatically almost halve.

intereresting only the unemployed smoke? well looks like i have to quit my job so cant be seen smoking if i work. thanks stiniker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Oranage2 wrote: »

Smokes
    Alcohol
    Cars
    Blue paint

Everything!

The packaging for the rice cakes cant be the best either :)

In fairness if you ban smoking because of potential health risks then you have to ban alcohol and mc donalds for the same reason.

I dont smoke myself but I am very much against any laws that 'protect us from ourselves'.
    There is a lot of information on the negative effects smoking has on health, if someone wants to smoke anyway then they should be free to do so.

I'd be a lot more reluctant to pay for golden handshake pensions than healthcare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

Something like €6.35 of the €8.65 cost of a pack goes straight into Government coffers... They are woeful yokes altogether but financial considerations definitely wouldn't come into the equation if banning them was being considered...They're a decent revenue source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Yeah because prohibition really works.

Thank you.

Prohibition works with absolutely nothing. Does a junkie have a hard time finding heroin ? Anyone every have a hard time finding some hash on the weekends? Anyone live out on the country and know anyone who makes their own poitin ? Anyone smokers ever get their hands on some tax free smokes ?

If you ban it, there will be thousands of people ready to supply you with it.

Thank you.

Prohibition works with absolutely nothing. Does a junkie have a hard time finding heroin ? Anyone every have a hard time finding some hash on the weekends? Anyone live out on the country and know anyone who makes their own poitin ? Anyone smokers ever get their hands on some tax free smokes ?

If you ban it, there will be thousands of people ready to supply you with it.

Who smokes 'hash' these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

OP, your idea is retarded. People smoking is a nett gain to the economy and now that the country is in the shiiter, we need to have everyone smoking.

Have you ever seen "Smokers die younger" on a box of cigarettes? This means that smokers are alive for less time than non-smokers. While smokers die of cancer before they're eligible for the state pension, non-smokers keep on costing the state billions in pensions and alzheimers/dementia/osteoporosis treatment.

Then there's the tax contribution made by patriotic, selfless smokers while non-smokers spend that money on themselves. One smoker, over the course of a year, can fund a college place for a student, 100 books for a library or 10 O Neills footballs for a 6 GAA clubs. Non-smokers are willing to go to college, use libraries and join GAA clubs but never do they thank the generous smokers who help provide these services at great risk to their own health.

OP, your attitude is terrible. I think you want the country to go broke and get taken over by the IMF or China. Do you also want to see babies starve because the tax donations by smokers will have dried up? Do you want puppies and kittens to be put down because the government can no longer afford grants for shelters?

I think that anyone who wants to see babies and puppies die is a terrible person. I don't know that you are like this, OP, but I've never heard you deny it so I'm not sure where you stand on baby-killing. I hope that you think it's wrong but your post implies otherwise.

Personally, I think that babies, puppies and kittens are a good thing so I'll continue to do my patriotic duty and smoke so that more can be saved. I'll contribute more to the economy and I'll take less from it by dieing early. And when you're 90 in nappies and can't tell your relatives apart, I hope you'll remember all those selfless smokers who put themselves on the line so that you could spend 10 years in a nursing-home having nurses throw out your poop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

OP, your idea is retarded. People smoking is a nett gain to the economy and now that the country is in the shiiter, we need to have everyone smoking.

Have you ever seen "Smokers die younger" on a box of cigarettes? This means that smokers are alive for less time than non-smokers. While smokers die of cancer before they're eligible for the state pension, non-smokers keep on costing the state billions in pensions and alzheimers/dementia/osteoporosis treatment.

Then there's the tax contribution made by patriotic, selfless smokers while non-smokers spend that money on themselves. One smoker, over the course of a year, can fund a college place for a student, 100 books for a library or 10 O Neills footballs for a 6 GAA clubs. Non-smokers are willing to go to college, use libraries and join GAA clubs but never do they thank the generous smokers who help provide these services at great risk to their own health.

OP, your attitude is terrible. I think you want the country to go broke and get taken over by the IMF or China. Do you also want to see babies starve because the tax donations by smokers will have dried up? Do you want puppies and kittens to be put down because the government can no longer afford grants for shelters?

I think that anyone who wants to see babies and puppies die is a terrible person. I don't know that you are like this, OP, but I've never heard you deny it so I'm not sure where you stand on baby-killing. I hope that you think it's wrong but your post implies otherwise.

Personally, I think that babies, puppies and kittens are a good thing so I'll continue to do my patriotic duty and smoke so that more can be saved. I'll contribute more to the economy and I'll take less from it by dieing early. And when you're 90 in nappies and can't tell your relatives apart, I hope you'll remember all those selfless smokers who put themselves on the line so that you could spend 10 years in a nursing-home having nurses throw out your poop.
    Post of the century :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

seen an interesting advert on the television lately, apparently one in every two SMOKERS, dies of a SMOKING RELATED ILLNESS, sooo...

that still leaves 50% of smokers who do NOT die of a smoking related illness. then there are those who do not smoke at all who die of illnesses completely unrelated to smoking.

the advert really only serves to point out the sheer studidity of it's intended message in my opinion!

stick that in your pipe and smoke it! :p

im an adult who chooses to smoke, i understand the health RISKS, just as i understand the RISK that when i am walking home from the pub tonight, there's every chance i could get hit by someone speeding in their car, or a drunk driver. does it mean i think all cars should be banned from the roads because of the high incidents of road injuries and fatalities?

of course not! just the same as i think I am responsible for my own actions, and i choose to smoke, in the knowledge that yes, i am damaging my health and putting myself at higher risk of dying from a smoking related illness.

im not a big drinker or gambler, etc, there are a hell of a lot worse things i could be doing, least of which is taking three spoons of sugar in one of my many cups of coffee a day, which is also increasing my risk of diabetes.

and lets not even START on the range of stuff other than cigarettes that increase my risk of getting cancer! sunlight? ffs! :rolleyes:

point being OP, you only get one life, might as well enjoy it and take the health warning scaremongering with a pinch of low sodium salt, (or not, since you might increase your risk of high blood pressure!)...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Post of the century :cool:

Pfft. I've had better.

*puffs pipe while staring out in the distance*

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Skullsri

Hit the nail on the head with that post couldnt have put it beter myself..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

bluewolf wrote: »
    A great bunch of lads :pac:

• xsiborg wrote: »
    seen an interesting advert on the television lately, apparently one in every two SMOKERS, dies of a SMOKING RELATED ILLNESS, sooo...

that still leaves 50% of smokers who do NOT die of a smoking related illness. then there are those who do not smoke at all who die of illnesses completely unrelated to smoking.

Wow. Only half of smokers die of a smoking related illness. Yeah, great odds. :rolleyes: Sure, non-smokers die of other illnesses but so do smokers. And smoking makes you much more likely to develop many cancers and just generally more susceptible to getting sick because of the effect on your immune system. You really think that one in two smokers dying of a smoking related illness is something to scoff at?
    im an adult who chooses to smoke, i understand the health RISKS, just as i understand the RISK that when i am walking home from the pub tonight, there's every chance i could get hit by someone speeding in their car, or a drunk driver. does it mean i think all cars should be banned from the roads because of the high incidents of road injuries and fatalities?

I think you'll find that there isn't a 50% chance of you dying in a road traffic accident in your lifetime. Of course there are risks in everyday life, but we need to take certain risks to live our lives. If we didn't drive/use the roads, it'd be very hard to get anywhere. How is smoking necessary, exactly? How does it improve your life?
    of course not! just the same as i think I am responsible for my own actions, and i choose to smoke, in the knowledge that yes, i am damaging my health and putting myself at higher risk of dying from a smoking related illness.

So presumably you never smoke in the vicinity of other people in doorways or on the street, who could have allergies/asthma and be bothered by your cloud of toxic smoke.
    im not a big drinker or gambler, etc, there are a hell of a lot worse things i could be doing, least of which is taking three spoons of sugar in one of my many cups of coffee a day, which is also increasing my risk of diabetes.

So what? Plenty of people manage to survive a day without excessive boozing, cigarettes, gambling or massive amounts of coffee and sugar. Even enjoy themselves. Shock horror!
    and lets not even START on the range of stuff other than cigarettes that increase my risk of getting cancer! sunlight? ffs! :rolleyes:

point being OP, you only get one life, might as well enjoy it and take the health warning scaremongering with a pinch of low sodium salt, (or not, since you might increase your risk of high blood pressure!)...

You're in serious denial, like many smokers. Look, smoke all you want, It's your money and your life, but having the attitude you do (ah sure everything could kill you) is deluded. You're at the same risk of illness (more, even) than the general population and then there's a 50% chance of dying of a smoking-related illness and you're being glib about it? Whatever helps, I suppose. I know several people who basically suffocated to death because of smoking and they all bitterly regretted ever starting. We're all at risk of all kinds of cancers nowadays, why make it even easier?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭CoolHat

What can be said that hasnt already been said :)
    Smoking = more tax for the government. Its that simple.

But it seems only in recent times with recession have people "eased up" on the average smoker. Usually it was "fecking smokers! we should ban it! :rolleyes:" - rather than simply letting people do what they want. But now that we (yes i smoke) have a purpose in this recession its "hey, smoking is fine" :rolleyes:

Same people would want more smokers to double in average intake to pay for tax

CoolHat wrote: »
    What can be said that hasnt already been said :)
    Smoking = more tax for the government. Its that simple.

But it seems only in recent times with recession have people "eased up" on the average smoker. Usually it was "fecking smokers! we should ban it! :rolleyes:" - rather than simply letting people do what they want. But now that we (yes i smoke) have a purpose in this recession its "hey, smoking is fine" :rolleyes:

Same people would want more smokers to double in average intake to pay for tax

- Some good points but smoking causes heart disease and cancer

- a quick google search says It costs the State €1 billion per year to provide health services for smokers (Department of Health and Children).

Do you think we make a billion off ciggette tax to pay for this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭BlackBlade

they will ban everything else first they make way too much money out of keeping us all sick addicts!
    they wont let you drive a motorbike without a big yellow jacket but they will sell you poison and tax it!

Advertisement