Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to ban cigarettes?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭0066ad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcCBcKCWn-A long time lurker first time posting, i picture izzy like this, smoke through his door lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Without fags the country would be more fcuked up financially. Less tax, more medical bills as guess what folks, smokers die younger which means less pensions, less medical costs. Its the people that dont smoke that is costing more than smokers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

I doubt that the 1.5 bn euros smoking generates would make a difference either way. We're on the edge of a cliff here.

Watching Michael Sommers on RTE. This place is fvcked up. Hospital rooms are full of patients with smoking related illnesses. No money to staff the hospitals as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭CoolHat

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    And you seriously believe that every smoker in the state buys all their smokes within the state from legitimate taxpaying sources ???

Ok Mike,
    Good point. Obviously some of that revenue is lost to illegal tax free smokes. How much you wanna say? few hundred million?

Sounds like you wanna make a dent in just how much smoking makes in tax revenue. You yet another anti smoker with a passion? why not come out with something mental like "900 million goes on illegal smokes! smoking is bad! please wont someone think of the children?"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

CoolHat wrote: »
    Ok Mike,
    Good point. Obviously some of that revenue is lost to illegal tax free smokes. How much you wanna say? few hundred million?

Sounds like you wanna make a dent in just how much smoking makes in tax revenue. You yet another anti smoker with a passion? why not come out with something mental like "900 million goes on illegal smokes! smoking is bad! please wont someone think of the children?"
    Exactly, whos going to buy these children smokes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

The smokers in this thread come across happier than the non-smokers.

Just sayin'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭PennyLane88

Nah, im doing my bit for the country by smoking, where would you be without me paying tax on my smokes eh?? :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭CoolHat

And personally, I really don't care what you or other people do as long as it doesn't directly affect me. When I'm being forced to suffer (I have sinus issues and asthma) because of other people's tobacco addiction when I'm trying to enjoy the park or an outside table at a restaurant or walk down a crowded street or even sit in my own apartment (smoke often comes in under the door), then yeah, it's my business. I think it's selfish and I think my right to breathe clean air overrides your right to feed your habit. If your smoke isn't near me, making me feel ill, I don't care if you do it or not. I just find it crazy that so many people are so glib and in denial. If you accept all the risks and admit it's likely to endanger your life at some stage, fair play to you.

1, How can smoke bother you in a park? its open space. Someone would need to be within a few feet of you, puffing away, in order to "bother" you. Smoke isnt some airborne contaminant that travels great distances. Its not like I can be 30 foot away from you and smoking and it "effects" you.
    2, you cant walk down a crowded street without smelling smoke? so every smoker you passes by blows it in your face or you get a whiff as you quickly pass by for all of 1 second :confused:
    3, so ... smoke ... travels into your apartment? :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

God help you on halloween night :pac:
    No wait, you dont have an issue with halloween night, right? :) why? because its all lies you are saying :) I was thinking you were perhaps a hypochondriac. But I dont think so. I think you are a person who has such anti smoking hatred that they will say mass to try and justify their views.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

The smokers in this thread come across happier than the non-smokers.

Just sayin'.

For about 5 minutes until they get their next hit of nicotine, leave them ten minutes without a cigarette and they will go mental.
    TheZohan wrote: »
    I smoke. If you're ever at an AH beers come say that to me.

You sound like quite a charming individual, coming across all threatening towards me because I hold a dim opinion of smokers; as a self admitted smoker yourself you have just conformed to my own stereotype of smokers... well done you.

PS. Your tax spend on cigarettes is lightening my tax bill so the jokes on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭The Internet Explorer

I propose we ban cunts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

I've been smoking since my early teens, i'm knocking on 40's door now and for years I told myself and anyone who gave me grief (about smoking) "sure I'll stop tomorrow if I want to" .... gobsh1te that I am.

I've tried,Patches,Gum and inhalers to try kick the habit but simple fact is the real will power isn't there, because I actually enjoy a smoke.

I hate the way we smokers are been fleeced by the government, I can deal with the saintly non smokers & their blah blah blah but I cant deal with the blatant rip off prices we pay here,recently switched to hand rolled ciggies, I smoke Cutters Choice ( a nice mild tobacco),it costs €4.38 for 12.5gms which is reasonable considering what a pack of 20 costs.

Anyway my parents were away last month and bought me some tobacco, get this, 500gms (10x50gm pouches) of Cutters Choice for €37 , the equivelant here would have set me back €175.20 (thats 4.38 x 4 x 10 )

....back on topic ....NO, it shouldn't be banned!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

stephen_k wrote: »
    Hang on.... *takes out smoke, lights, inhales, long slow exhale AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH* Now..... Where was I..... oh yeah.... F*ck Off!!!

If there was a post of the year competition, that has got to be a contender. Priceless :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Stinicker wrote: »
    ... because I hold a dim opinion...

At least you can admit it. Well done!
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I propose we ban cunts.

Yeah.. fcuk them

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Why are smokers such prime targets on this forum? Every month multiple threads and such an easy target.

If a smoker blows smoke in your face, lights up in your house / car, dumps his butts and fag boxes everywhere then it's clear that they themselves, not smokers in general, are just plain dickheads with no awareness to those around them.

Smoking is a choice, not exactly the wisest one would make, but still is a choice.

You're not other people's mammy, stop parading about like you know what's better for others.

I get from this forum that militant non-smokers give others a bad name as opposed to smokers. Such vile, high horse attitudes

I think we should just kill all smokers (well, those of us who don't kill ourselves). Maybe even set up concentration camps.

*....Logs off, grabs box of smokes, goes out in the night for another bout of 'blowing smoke beneath doors'*

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Alan 1990

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    4Sheets wrote: »
    LMFAO..If you ask ME the world would be much better off without the kind of dry-****s that dont smoke!

Ok I'm not sure which one of you two is worse now...

I really couldnt agree more!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I'd definitely be in favour of the government looking into the possibility of introducing legislation to limit the amount of nicotine per cigarette and other substances that make cigarettes so addictive.

The Insider is a very good film by Michael Mann about Jeffrey Wigand who was a scientist who was threatened by the tobacco company he worked for (Brown and Williamson Tobacco) so that he would not release information about how he was made to work on making their cigarettes more addictive.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 swabby

Nah how about we hold onto our freedom, make it all legal and get rid of goverment healthcare!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

swabby wrote: »
    Nah how about we hold onto our freedom, make it all legal and get rid of goverment healthcare!
    if they get rid of government healthcare then they may lower the tax rate i think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

Banning cigarettes would be a stupid thing to do.

The crims already make a fortune on smuggling them in, could you imagine the money they would make if they were banned.

What I really can't understand. When I took up smoking you were free to smoke anywhere now it is truly an ostracising addiction and definitely more a pain then a pleasure so why are young people still taking up the insidious things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

What I find interesting about these smoking/non-smoking threads is that it doesn't seem to be the actual smoke that annoys people as much as the fact that people smoke.

I can just see one of these rabid anti-smoking folks spending a day walking around a town, passing someone and getting the slightest whiff of tobacco smoke for no more than a second or two, then fuming for the rest of the day about inconsiderate smokers and thinking they will die of cancer or blame their asthma attack on it.
    Meanwhile ignoring the carbon monoxide, nitrogen dioxide and sulphur dioxide (not to mention the smell) from the traffic jam next to them or the myriad of other pollutants, dust and dirt hanging in the air, or the fact that every time they walk through a crowded shop they are breathing in the numerous dead skin cells of the surrounding hoards.
    Irrational people are irrational (and funny).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,440 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

If anything drink should be banned before smoking...smokers don't get sozzled on 20 cigs and go out and kick 7 shades of shít out of some random passerby/ or get into their car while drunk and kill someone going home...
    but nope..the do-gooders will preach about the dangers of smoking while knocking back pints of guinness etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

PS. Your tax spend on cigarettes is lightening my tax bill so the jokes on you.

Unless you live in Portugal my tax spend on cigarettes will have little to no effect on you, that's where I buy all my cigarettes. But thank you for funding my health care, it's nice to know that there are kind people like you willing to give up so much eack week/month to pay for my hospital bills should I get ill from smoking. Smoking is a luxury that I enjoy, when you're broke at the end of the month the fact that I can smoke because of good guys like you should fill you with joy.

God bless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭Mazeire

I hate when non smokers whine "why don'tr smokers just give up?" If only it were that simple. I've tried several times using different methods, patches inhalers cold turkey etc etc. Each time it's been a nightmare. My moods have been all over the place or I've put on weight. To be honest no one I know has ever quit successfully. They have managed to cut down dramatically but quit? Nope.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1497

1 year off the fags now, still getting my lovely lovely nicotine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭Mazeire

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1497

1 year off the fags now, still getting my lovely lovely nicotine

Well done that's great! How do you think you would feel if, hypothetically speaking, that it was proved conclusively that these things have a direct link to oral cancer and they were removed from the market tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,440 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Mazeire wrote: »
    I hate when non smokers whine "why don'tr smokers just give up?" If only it were that simple. I've tried several times using different methods, patches inhalers cold turkey etc etc. Each time it's been a nightmare. My moods have been all over the place or I've put on weight. To be honest no one I know has ever quit successfully. They have managed to cut down dramatically but quit? Nope.

hypnosis my good man....it's just so easy to go off them.
    Did 4 years the first time and now last around a year each time.
    I go back on them for a week or two every year and then just trot back to my hypnotist to get me back off them :D
    Off them now 9 months again and considering that I'm taking all of xmas off this year I'm thinking of smoking my brains out for the 2-3 weeks...the €100 he charges me is well worth it imo ...smoking 20 a day it's paid back within 10 days :D

Beside me is a chap who went back on them after 5 years and can't quit..he's too mean to pay for the hypnotist but not for cigs :confused:
    And it's gas watching him every Monday morning declaring he's off them and 20 mins later going out for a smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

Nah, let them smoke away; the world will be better off without the sort of moronic scum that smokes anyway. If anything we should be increasing the amount of carcinogens in Cigarette and throw in more arsenic so that smokers would die off sooner. The dole queue would automatically almost halve.

Thanks whore fail.

If people want smoke let them, Iv'e never met one person in my life who was pure enough to cast the first stone.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Mazeire wrote: »
    Well done that's great! How do you think you would feel if, hypothetically speaking, that it was proved conclusively that these things have a direct link to oral cancer and they were removed from the market tomorrow?

i dunno, probably about the same as I'd feel if it was proved conclusively that these things had a direct link to the 9/11 attacks.

Advertisement