Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the correct grammar?

Options
  • 03-10-2011 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

I'm sorry guys, but it's something that I'm not sure about and there is no one around that I can ask...

I'm doing a draft for an advert.
    (There is a picture of Tony and some text beside it.)

Tony, here, is a member of the community board.
    or
    Tony here is a member of the community board.

I'm just not sure (if either) is correct and I'd like some feedback if ye can.
    Please and thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

I'd say the first, but I've no reason to back it up beyond instinct. Even better, "Tony, pictured here, is a member of the community board."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

I'd revise Rosewater's suggestion slighty: "Tony, pictured, is a member of the community board." So long as there are no pictures of anyone else, that should be enough.

Just don't go with "Tony, here is a member of the community board." :P

Edit: Actually, on second thoughts, since this is an ad, maybe you want the text to sound informal? If that's your intention, then you should use the original phrase with no commas, as that reflects the way in which the phrase would be spoken - without pause.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 spanx

How about just "Tony is a member of the community board".
    If Tony is the only one pictured, people will probably guess that it's him.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

On the grammar point, the second one is correct, although it would be easier to simply say "Tony, left/right, is...."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Bearhunter wrote: »
    On the grammar point, the second one is correct, although it would be easier to simply say "Tony, left/right, is...."

The OP may intend it to sound conversational. "Tony, left,..." and "Tony, pictured..." read like journalistic copy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 EnglishLit

Go with the sentence without commas or changes if you want it to be conversational, fun or informal...like the way the Emobile ads are for example.

If you want to be formal and serious, put in the "Tony, pictured left, ...'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭JaneHudson

I'd go with the second one because you get to keep the conversational style and nobody would think that Tony was being introduced to a member of the community board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

I'd take out the 'here" and just have it read:

Tony is a member of the community board

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Tony (above) is a member of the community board.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭ThePinkCage

Going with how it sounds in your head is often a good guide. Think I'd drop the here, or choose the sentence with no commas.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

With commas is the correct grammar.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Tony here, is a member...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

AdSpeak doesn't require the use of perfect grammar. Punctuation is often dropped. The simple "Tony is a member of the community board" is the best copy.

Advertisement