Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any ideas for walking with pram?

• 03-10-2011 4:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi Folks

Just wondering if anyone has any handy tips for walking with dog and pram. Had a baby 10 weeks ago up until recently have managed to get walking in the evenings once hubby is home but with the dark evenings and tempermental weather I'v had to go walking with the babs in pram. Now her big bro is strong and excitable which I don't mind but finding it akeward pushing pram and holding lead at same time.

So does anyone have any gadgets or tips for maybe attaching lead to pram while walking? He can veer from the right to the left in nano seconds too which is prob causing the akewardness!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

I really would not attach dog to buggy at all, accident waiting to happen.
    When I take my lab out walking with the buggy he's wearing a dogmatic head collar, he's much easier to control that way and walk's lovely alongside the buggy now.

The dogmatic is a head collar your dog wears around his face it helps to control them better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

You could try a belt that attaches round your waist, you would definitely want to do some lead training with the dog before you try taking him out with a pram though and no way attach the dog to the pram, it would only take a split second of lack of concentration on your part for him to tip it over :eek:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I agree with Adrenalinjunkie, lead attatched to you, both hands free for pram.

You can get a bungee cord type lead so you don't get jerked off your feet, and I would try the head collar, it does help with strong pullers.

Many years ago my mum used to walk us to school with the dog, 7, 4, 2 year old and a baby in pram. She used to tie the dog to her belt, but her was very good and walked beside pram.
    Our dog grew up that way but most will pick it up pretty quick, try keeping treats in your pocket to keep attention and reward for staying just at heal, don't let him get in front as when pram turns he'll get toes run over (although they catch onto that quick).
    Have you a garden you could try it in, or up and down the street to start.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

This is what you are looking for:)
    http://www.kisi.co.uk/walkingbelts.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

It's amazing what's out there on the market these days!

Also, can I just say congrats on the new arrival, OP! And kudos to you for looking for a way to make sure all the members of your family are able to go out together. Best of luck with the new routine!

• Advertisement
Advertisement