Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water cooling system

Options
  • 03-10-2011 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54,371 ✭✭✭✭

Fed up of my loud gaming rig so im looking into going down the water cooling avenue

intel Core i5-2500K
    MSI P67A-GD53 (B3), Intel P67, ATX, DDR3
    2x Palit Geforce GTX 570, 1280MB, PCI-Express
    4GB-KIT Mushkin Silverline Stiletto PC3-10667U CL9-9-9-24
    Samsung SH-223C bare schwarz SATA
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 1000GB, SATA II (HD103SJ)
    Corsair CMPSU-750HX Professional Series 750W Power Supply Corsair CMPSU-750HX Professional Series 750W Power Supply
    Corsair A70
    fractal define r3

I think ill go for cooling of CPU and graphic cards

Any idea of what I should buy and price tag ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

For that, you'd probably want is to hang a 360 rad off the back. There isn't really anything you could do internally with rads with the Define R3.

For your CPU block, I'd have a look at the XSPC Rasa, or Raystorm.

For your GPUs, probably XSPC again is your best bet. I would normally recommend EK, but they've been having problems with their electroplating process recently. You could look at Koolance's one as well, but they're expensive.

Specialtech.co.uk is a great place for WC stuff, as well as watercoolinguk.co.uk, though they have a slightly different selection, they can be a tad more expensive.

If you can hang on a few days, I actually have an RX360 rad that I'm going to be wanting to get rid of (Adverts), as well as SLI links.

I won't lie to you; to cool two GPUs and a CPU, you're probably looking in-and-around the €400 mark to get everything to your door. It's not cheap, but by-god will it be powerful!

• Registered Users Posts: 54,371 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Serephucus wrote: »
    For that, you'd probably want is to hang a 360 rad off the back. There isn't really anything you could do internally with rads with the Define R3.

For your CPU block, I'd have a look at the XSPC Rasa, or Raystorm.

For your GPUs, probably XSPC again is your best bet. I would normally recommend EK, but they've been having problems with their electroplating process recently. You could look at Koolance's one as well, but they're expensive.

Specialtech.co.uk is a great place for WC stuff, as well as watercoolinguk.co.uk, though they have a slightly different selection, they can be a tad more expensive.

If you can hang on a few days, I actually have an RX360 rad that I'm going to be wanting to get rid of (Adverts), as well as SLI links.

I won't lie to you; to cool two GPUs and a CPU, you're probably looking in-and-around the €400 mark to get everything to your door. It's not cheap, but by-god will it be powerful!

Thanks so much for the helpful post Serephucus. Ya about that RX360 you hope to sell, im not sure on stuff like WC but it looks pretty good, I call dibs on it :)

so am i right in thinking is that all I need is the CPU block, radiator and Full Cover Waterblock. Do any them come with piping and anything else I need ?

Headshot wrote: »
    Thanks so much for the helpful post Serephucus. Ya about that RX360 you hope to sell, im not sure on stuff like WC but it looks pretty good, I call dibs on it :)

so am i right in thinking is that all I need is the CPU block, radiator and Full Cover Waterblock. Do any them come with piping and anything else I need ?

Nope! You'll need a Pump, CPU block, GPU blocks, radiator, tubing, fittings, and some sort of reservoir/T-line.

Pump: this is what pushes water around your loop, and a good pump is important. Some are noisy and can vibrate, others aren't very powerful, etc. For your loop, I'd recommend the MCP355. Specialtech have a bunch of different versions of it. Some come with different tops, that will improve performance, others come with build in reservoirs, etc.

CPU block: I assume you can figure this one out.

GPU block: same thing.

Radiator: as discussed (yes, you can have dibs. :P)

Tubing: This one doesn't really matter in terms of brand, but you have to make sure you have the sizes right (I'll mention this later).

Fittings: There are two different types of fittings; barbs and clamps, and compression. Barbs/clamps, work on the same principal to the nozzle of a hose. Bit of metal with ridges on it that hold on to the inside of a tube, and the whole thing is strapped tightly together with a clamp. (Google images will be helpful here).
    Compressions are more expensive, and arguably more secure, though whether you actually need that security is questionable. Most people just get them for looks. They work sort of like barb/clamp fittings, but there's a metal screw that you tighten over the outside of the fitting in place of the clamp.

Sizes: If you have a look on Specialtech, you'll see that the tubing is listed with ID / OD numbers. This is Inner Diameter / Outer Diameter. Basically, the ID must correspond to your barbs (or the ID of your compressions, depending), and the OD must corrospond to your clamps, (or again, your compressions). So if you wanted 3/8-5/8 tubing, you'd need 3/8 barbs, and 5/8 clamps, OR 3/8-5/8 compression fittings. The other size you'll hear is G1/4. This is the thread size for your fittings and blocks. 95% of blocks will use G1/4 thread.

So, your average fitting, say a 1/2-3/4 compression, will, on one end, have a G1/4 thread - this gets screwed into your CPU/GPU block - and on the other, a 1/2 barb, over which you'll put your 1/2-3/4 tubing, and screw the 3/4 metal screw clamp.

Reservoir/T-line: You'll need one of these. A T-line is what I usually prefer though. You simple by a 3-way T fitting, and place it in your loop (usually right before your pump), and use it to fill and drain your system. The reason you need one though, is to let air bubbles out. As you can imagine, when you're first filling your system, there are nooks and crannies and such where air can get stuck. When you have your pump on, these will dislodge, and (hopefully) get pulled into your T-line where they'll just sit as air (you'll see the water level drop), and you can then fill the loop with a bit more water.

There's a lot too all this initially, and I hope I haven't scared you away. I'm always happy to answer questions about this, and equally as happy to give you a hand putting the whole thing together when your stuff arrives.

You weren't kidding about alot :pac:

Serephucus I couldnt ask ya to give me a link of stuff you would buy using Specialtech.co.uk if you were in my shoes (budget 450)

If your to busy dont worry about it :)

Pump
    http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/Laing-DDC-1T-Pro-Pump-440-Lhr-with-XSPC-V3-Acetal-Top-Bundle-Deal-pid-11170.html

CPU block
    http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/XSPC-Rasa-CPU-Waterblock-Intel-1366-1156-1155-775--RASA-Chrome-pid-11537.html

GPU block (x2)
    http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/EK-Full-Cover-Waterblock-for-NVIDIA-570-GTX-SE-P1263-Graphics-Card--EN-Nickel-Acetal-pid-14572.html

Barbs (x12)
    http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/14-Thread-High-Flow-Barb-Fitting-for-12-ID-Tubing--Silver-pid-7437.html

Clamps (x12)
    http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/Steel-Spring-Hose-Clamps-for-34-19mm-Outer-Diameter-Tubing--Black-pid-11438.html

T-line fitting
    http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/14-Inner-Thread-T-Fitting-pid-11351.html

Tubing (x3m)
    http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/Thermochill-12-ID---34-OD-13-19mm-Flex-Tubing--Clear-pid-11538.html

Total: £297 + delivery = ~€370.

Add in my rad for ~€80, and you've got the lot for €450.

You'll want to check that the number of fittings is right. If you get the SLI links from me you won't need fittings between the cards, though you will need an extra two for the start and end. Two for pump, two for rad, two for CPU block, and three for T-fitting, and two for GPUs = 11+1 spare.

Hope that helps...

Oh, as for fluid: DO NOT buy pre-mixed crap. Go into a chemist, and ask for distilled water. You should be able to pick up a big bottle for a couple of Euro. My system uses about a litre, for reference.

• Advertisement

Pump
    http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/Laing-DDC-1T-Pro-Pump-440-Lhr-with-XSPC-V3-Acetal-Top-Bundle-Deal-pid-11170.html

CPU block
    http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/XSPC-Rasa-CPU-Waterblock-Intel-1366-1156-1155-775--RASA-Chrome-pid-11537.html

GPU block (x2)
    http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/EK-Full-Cover-Waterblock-for-NVIDIA-570-GTX-SE-P1263-Graphics-Card--EN-Nickel-Acetal-pid-14572.html

Barbs (x12)
    http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/14-Thread-High-Flow-Barb-Fitting-for-12-ID-Tubing--Silver-pid-7437.html

Clamps (x12)
    http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/Steel-Spring-Hose-Clamps-for-34-19mm-Outer-Diameter-Tubing--Black-pid-11438.html

T-line fitting
    http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/14-Inner-Thread-T-Fitting-pid-11351.html

Tubing (x3m)
    http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/Thermochill-12-ID---34-OD-13-19mm-Flex-Tubing--Clear-pid-11538.html

Total: £297 + delivery = ~€370.

Add in my rad for ~€80, and you've got the lot for €450.

You'll want to check that the number of fittings is right. If you get the SLI links from me you won't need fittings between the cards, though you will need an extra two for the start and end. Two for pump, two for rad, two for CPU block, and three for T-fitting, and two for GPUs = 11+1 spare.

Hope that helps...

Oh, as for fluid: DO NOT buy pre-mixed crap. Go into a chemist, and ask for distilled water. You should be able to pick up a big bottle for a couple of Euro. My system uses about a litre, for reference.

wow thanks Serephucus

regarding "You'll want to check that the number of fittings is right. If you get the SLI links from me you won't need fittings between the cards, though you will need an extra two for the start and end. Two for pump, two for rad, two for CPU block, and three for T-fitting, and two for GPUs = 11+1 spare."

How will I know iv bought the right number of fittings or am i better off buying sli links off you but am i paying more then ?

What method is less trouble too?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q3MVjoXmv4

This is an install vid for the thing I have. It's just a different way of connecting cards. Work out roughly the same as fittings, really, so it's up to you. I found the fittings a bit annoying because it involved cutting exactly the right length of tubing, and this method is more secure, but again, it's not a huge difference. I'd probably sell them to you cheap, if only to be rid of them, to be honest.

I'm 99% sure the number of fittings is right. If you go with 1/2-3/4 stuff (which I what I selected) I have a few spare I can give you if worse comes to worst.

If you're getting the SLI links from me then it's 12 barbs and clamps. If not, then it's 14.

http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/Sealing-Plug--Fill-Port-for-12-ID-Tubing--Silver-pid-9862.html

You'll also need that yoke. Forgot about it. It's just a barb with a screw cap on the end. It's for the end of the T-line so you can close it off.

Everything else looks good.

Edit: I'm in Maynooth if that helps you at all.

Double edit: You'll need to let me know when you're ordering stuff / planning to install though; I'm using the RX at the moment, so I'll need enough time for my other rad to get here, and to install it, etc.

If you're getting the SLI links from me then it's 12 barbs and clamps. If not, then it's 14.

http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/Sealing-Plug--Fill-Port-for-12-ID-Tubing--Silver-pid-9862.html

You'll also need that yoke. Forgot about it. It's just a barb with a screw cap on the end. It's for the end of the T-line so you can close it off.

Everything else looks good.

Edit: I'm in Maynooth if that helps you at all.

Double edit: You'll need to let me know when you're ordering stuff / planning to install though; I'm using the RX at the moment, so I'll need enough time for my other rad to get here, and to install it, etc.

Ill be ordering it near the end of the month if that's okay

• Advertisement

Yup, that'll be grand. Let me know when you're ordering, and I should have my rad ready to send to you by the following weekend.

iv been thinking is the fractal define r3 good enough for water cooling?

Im fed up of consistently improving the computer. I want this next upgrade to be the very last for some time to come

Headshot wrote: »
    iv been thinking is the fractal define r3 good enough for water cooling?

Im fed up of consistently improving the computer. I want this next upgrade to be the very last for some time to come

Honestly? My last three upgrades have been for the same reason. :P

There are a bunch of cases that offer watercooling support, but honestly, there's no one case that's fantastic for it. A lot of people run external radiators (I will be once I sell off my current one), and once you do that, the case really doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭trev179

have been looking into WC aswell and the corsair obsidian 800d seems to be a favorite would external rads (fans) not make it much louder?

No, not really. Most case fans are blocked only by a thin layer of mesh; having them on the outside doesn't make a whole lot of difference. Also, with watercooling, most of the time you can get away with slower fans compared to air.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

No, not really. Most case fans are blocked only by a thin layer of mesh; having them on the outside doesn't make a whole lot of difference. Also, with watercooling, most of the time you can get away with slower fans compared to air.

Mate have been following this thread aswell...Am interested in going to water...

When you say you can get away with the slower fans are you talking around 900-1100 rpm max

Sorry I dont mean to hijack the OP`s post,Just a quick question:)

Well in Headshot's case, because he's got two GPUs and a CPU to cool, all with a 360 rad, he's probably looking at 3x1300RMP fans, or there-abouts. If you were just running a CPU on a 240 rad, you could get away with 600RPM fans, most-likely.

Well in Headshot's case, because he's got two GPUs and a CPU to cool, all with a 360 rad, he's probably looking at 3x1300RMP fans, or there-abouts. If you were just running a CPU on a 240 rad, you could get away with 600RPM fans, most-likely.

Right im with ya now....
    What I was thinking(and please correct me if im wrong ) I will be getting another 6970 and going xfire but currently have a sythe cooler on my current 6970 and it works a treat but did raise my temps a small bit on my I5 760..So Im guessing that when I install another card and same cooler the temp will raise ever more and mess with my cpu overclock and the only way to overcome the raise in cpu temp would either be to put faster/noisier fans in the case or to go water on the cpu....

I dont like noise as the rig is in the sitting room and "she who must be obeyed Likes the quiet:mad:"

So option "B" the watercooled cpu sounds like a nice solution...

What you think?

You could look at a Corsair H100, or a Rasa RS240 kit from Specialtech, if you want more cooling.

You could look at a Corsair H100, or a Rasa RS240 kit from Specialtech, if you want more cooling.

Thanks man...I like the rs 360......Just gotta figure a way to mount it externally to my fractal r3...The 360 may be a bit of overkill but would keep the cpu temp right down...

• Advertisement

With an RS360, you'd be lucky to hit much more than 50 under load when overclocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

Just on the fan noise issue, a simple and handy tip I picked when putting my water cooled setup together a few years ago was two use two fans in push pull configuration on an external rad, wired in series so they run at half speed and only take up a single one molex connector between them.

Other options would be to use a fan controller or connect the fan to the motherboard so that it could be controlled automatically depending on temp but this was a straightforward wire and forget method that I found very useful and the result is an almost inaudible fan whisper.

With an RS360, you'd be lucky to hit much more than 50 under load when overclocked.

Sounds good to me....
    I like my little I5 760...Have it @ 4.2 ghz and its gettn to 72c under prime with the 6970 at full load (furmark). both running at the same time...
    But like I mentioned before once I throw another 6970 in the case things are going to start heating up in there....

Honestly, you'd be fine with an RS240 with just the CPU. Unless you want to run it passively or something.

Depends how much money you have to spare, but you could always do what I'm doing:

Get a 9x120 rad, stick it on your case door, and cool everything. :P

@cdb, yes, and good advice, though it can work out more expensive if you're looking at high-quality fans.

Honestly, you'd be fine with an RS240 with just the CPU. Unless you want to run it passively or something.

Depends how much money you have to spare, but you could always do what I'm doing:

Get a 9x120 rad, stick it on your case door, and cool everything. :P

@cdb, yes, and good advice, though it can work out more expensive if you're looking at high-quality fans.

Yeah your right...the 240 should do the job...Was just getting a bit excited...
    Hopefully it will fit inside the case...Will take some measurements tomorrow..

cheers again..

Advertisement