Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 amp lighting problem

Options
  • 03-10-2011 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

I have three 5 amp sockets in my sitting room, two of which have lamps plugged into them. Yesterday the lights wouldn't turn on. I checked the bulbs and the fuse box and no circuit breaker has tripped. Can circuit breakers burn out without tripping or am I missing something else?
    Very grateful for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Circuit breakers can go faulty, and not be tripped yes but may not be the problem. Could be a loose connection at a few places, or are they controlled my a switch? So unless you have a multimeter and a knowledge I think you'll have to get someone who does.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Davy wrote: »
    Circuit breakers can go faulty, and not be tripped yes but may not be the problem. Could be a loose connection at a few places, or are they controlled my a switch? So unless you have a multimeter and a knowledge I think you'll have to get someone who does.
    Make sure circuit breaker is not half tripped
    Pull circuit breakers down fully and push firmly up again
    The light switch may be another reason

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭rmnrgn

Thanks for the help lads. Just to let you know that the problem is sorted and was related to the actual switch on the wall. Its a double dimmer variety and it so happened that while the transformer for the ceiling light worked the one for the 5 amp system didn't.
    Thanks again

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Just remember not to put CFL's into the table lamps if they're on a dimmer!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Red Alert wrote: »
    Just remember not to put CFL's into the table lamps if they're on a dimmer!

Eh,theres now dimmable 11 and 15 watt CFL bulbs on the market.

I have them in my floor lamps,and they work an absolute treat too.:)

Pic of floor lamps with dimmable CFL bulbs installed.

The left is on full whack,right is dimmed down by around 50%

• Advertisement
Advertisement