Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with VoIP calls on my Phone Bill

• 03-10-2011 5:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I would like some help understanding why I have 2 x calls to VoIP on my Eircom Bill?
    I have never had such a use for a Voice over internet and have never used such a facility and yet I have been charged. I called eircom and they tell me that 2 calls were made from the internet to a 0766244444 number and can not explain how this is so. Apparently you need a physical phone to plug into the modem which I dont have, if anyone can shed some light on this issue or even give me some Ideas how these calls were made I would greatly appreciated it.
    Confused
    Tracey

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

076 numbers are numbers assigned to VOIP accounts and can be called from any land line or mobile.

Are you sure they are not numbers you have called from your land line.

I use VOIP exclusively and while I ported my old Eircom number to my VOIP provider I also have a 076 number which would ring the same phone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 191 ✭✭malachy47

Agreed with FSL, you phoned an 076 number twice. Eircom charge these as a national call, despite the fact that 076 was supposed to be a free call as it travelled via the internet and not taking up CPS switching.

But Eircom, being Eircom, got fleeced not only from management(s) downwards but also from employees upwards. Sure you had to pay! I can't wait to see them go belly-up so we can reclaim the last mile for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

..... unless someone was attempting to ring Iasi, Romania and forgot the pre-fix for the number .....

http://www.bizoo.ro/firma/pinkagency
    Contact
    Company Name :About Studio One Group Ltd.
    Contact person :Ciprian Costin
    Address :Hebrew cemetery alley No. 2
    County :Iasi
    Phone :0766244444

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Tgal

thanks guys for your feedback but I most certainly do not use my computer for making calls and I have no need to make calls to Romania or Iasi so still clueless.
    No one in my household use the internet other than for browsing youtube, facebook, donedeal etc. We are not very technical savy so would not even know how to make a phone call using the internet and the bill has listed VoIP. So worried its a scam of some sort or virus on my computer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

As has been said already you don't need a computer to make a call to a VOIP number e.g. a number starting 076. You can make them from any landline or mobile phone.

You don't even need to have access to the internet.

If the number is on your telephone bill then it has been dialled on your landline even it has just been dialled in error e.g. someone dialled 076...... instead of 026... or 046......

or how about 086 624 4444 know anybody with that mobile number?

• Advertisement

Tgal wrote: »
    I would like some help understanding why I have 2 x calls to VoIP on my Eircom Bill?

Simply because someone dialled those numbers on your phone ..... whether in error or deliberately .... the number was dialled on the phone and not from the computer or anywhere else.

Your Eircom bill shows only calls that were dialled & connected from your phone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Tgal You should check other people in the house if they ever call that number from the house phone or call the number to see who answers.

I think you should remove the number from the post as that's someone's number or get a mod to remove the number.

Are the calls long or only couple of seconds? reason I'm asking is if you have a caller display on your phone you might have seen missed calls from that number and called to check who they are.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

nava wrote: »
    Tgal You should check other people in the house if they ever call that number from the house phone or call the number to see who answers.

I think you should remove the number from the post as that's someone's number or get a mod to remove the number.

Are the calls long or only couple of seconds? reason I'm asking is if you have a caller display on your phone you might have seen missed calls from that number and called to check who they are.

I doubt that the phone would call it back to check the caller ID. That phone number is a mortgage helpline and I suggest you ask members of the household if it was dialled by accident or whatever.

076 numbers are nothing to be worried about; they are charged at local rate (I think) and are used by many companies throughout ireland (Broadband in particular). There is nothing to be concerned about unless there are more calls to 076 numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 zfinch

You might want to check and make sure no one is hacking into your phone line or accounts to use it for their Business Long Distance calls. I've heard that IP PBX is a more secure source for using Voip as well.. might want to look into it.

zfinch wrote: »
    You might want to check and make sure no one is hacking into your phone line or accounts to use it for their Business Long Distance calls. I've heard that IP PBX is a more secure source for using Voip as well.. might want to look into it.

This does not make any sense to me :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ChyrillStucker

You should ask your VoIP provider the reason why they have charged you for the calls you have never made. In VoIP services it is not necessary to have a physical phone and plug it into the modem. You can have a softphone which you can install on your PC or laptop to use VoIP services. If you feel your provider is cheating on you them your look for another provider.

This is really strange for me as I have never faced any such issue. I am using VoIP issues from The Real PBX. You may check with them.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I don't know if this is relevant.

pm op with possible link

You should ask your VoIP provider the reason why they have charged you for the calls you have never made. In VoIP services it is not necessary to have a physical phone and plug it into the modem. You can have a softphone which you can install on your PC or laptop to use VoIP services. If you feel your provider is cheating on you them your look for another provider.

This is really strange for me as I have never faced any such issue. I am using VoIP issues from The Real PBX. You may check with them.

I think you should read the OP again!

It was NOT a VOIP provider who chanrged for the calls!

Advertisement