Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ending a 12 month Contract?

Options
  • 03-10-2011 5:41pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 492 ✭✭

Hi,

Basically I'm sorting out a house myself in the next week. I'm working in Dublin for 3 months at least & with a view to getting a permanant contract after Christmas.

Anyways, most places I see are 12 months. I was wondering if I took a room with a 12 month contract & had to move out after 3 months, am I entitled to get my deposit back?

I should be able to give 30 days notice.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

It would depend on your lease and whether or not a break-lease clause was included. If there wasn't it could get quite messy and the landlord would be entitled to keep your deposit and pursue you for the remainder of the rent owed (i.e. 9 months) if you didn't find somebody to replace you.

Given the high number of empty houses and apartments at the moment, a landlord may be willing to take a tenant for 3 months with a view to staying longer if you were made permanent. It costs nothing to ask, and the worst they can say is no.

As an alternative, you might be able to make a deal with a local hotel or B&B if you told them you might stay for that length of time.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 492 ✭✭thebison

Any landlord I've asked, just seems uninterested & it seems to knock me down the pecking order when there's a few people looking for the one apartment!

I read before that as long as I give 30 days notice, I should get the deposit back! Also I'm confident I wouldn't have any problem finding someone to take the remaining 9 months if I had to.

http://www.threshold.ie/page.asp?menu=70&page=240

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

no you cant just give 30 days notice.

Seriously if your not staying a year dont be stupid enough to sign a 12 month lease.

That's the problem, I won't know for the another 2/3 months if I can take the 12 months. It's extremely difficult to get a place on a 3 month lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

thebison wrote: »
    That's the problem, I won't know for the another 2/3 months if I can take the 12 months. It's extremely difficult to get a place on a 3 month lease.

why ge somewhere without a lease at all. there are plenty of places willing to work on month to month contracts or as part 4 tennancys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Simples don't sign a 12 mo lease unless you can include a break clause (which of course makes it a month to month contract).

The trade off is that owners of some nice places won't be interested in you, but that's just how it goes.

Will do...thanks for the replies :)

Advertisement