Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

H-i Mag scopes

Options
  • 03-10-2011 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

I was wondering is there anyone out there who can give me some advice on what make of high magnification Varmint scope they would recommend for my .223 centrefire.. At present I am using a S & B 8x50, but due to failing eyesight lately I am missing too many red fellows, so HELP??:(

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Have you a budget in mind?

Was looking at the Zeiss Duralyt 3-12x50 for €795. My mate actually bought one 3 weeks ago and they are excellent. He got the illuminated model. Perhaps you are looking for more than 12 power.

Any idea how much mag you would be happy with?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭wingtip

the way I am putting them out at the moment, maybe 20x lol,thanks for the guidance:)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭De_Tomaso

For .223 Varmint rifle I would be choosing the following scopes:

500 -750€:

Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP
    Nikon Monarch III 4-16x50
    Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16x50
    Minox ZA5 3-15x50 SF

750 -1000€

Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x50
    Nikon Monarch X 4-16x50
    IOR 4-14x56

1000 - 1500€

IOR 3-18x42
    Kahles K418
    S&B Klassik 4-16x50 /P
    Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44

1500 - 2000€

Premier Heritage 3-15x50 Hunter
    Schmidt&Bender PM II/P 4-16x50
    Swarovski Z6 3-18x50
    Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50

Above 2000€:

Zeiss Victory FL
    Swarovski Z6i
    Schmidt&Bender PM II
    Premier Heritage Light Tactical
    March

Magnification is not everything, quality matters more.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Excellent list of choices.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

nail hit squarely on the head

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

My choice would be a zeiss conquest 6.5-20x50

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Comeraghshooter

zeissman wrote: »

+1

Zeiss Conquest is not sold in EU, so if anything goes wrong there is a lot of problems with warranty. Also with 6.5x magnification on the lower side can cause a lot of problems if you have to shoot at anything closer than 50 yard/40 meters. And this can often be a case with fox hunting, so you have to be prepared for anything between 50 and up to 300 meters.

De_Tomaso wrote: »
    Zeiss Conquest is not sold in EU, so if anything goes wrong there is a lot of problems with warranty. Also with 6.5x magnification on the lower side can cause a lot of problems if you have to shoot at anything closer than 50 yard/40 meters. And this can often be a case with fox hunting, so you have to be prepared for anything between 50 and up to 300 meters.

Warranty is not valid outside US but I buy mine from www.theopticzone.com so if anything goes wrong I can send it back to them and they will get it sorted.
    I think 6.5 to 20 mag is ideal. I have owned 3 to 12 mag scopes before but never used them below 6 power.

There is no Customs between Ireland and US? In the rest of EU shipping the used scope back and forth across EU zone border is not such a nice experience. It sure goes but why bother.

About magnification I have different experience, I need 3x or 4x a lot when hunting foxes. Specially when I am calling they can come real close and I need lower magnification. I also almost never need more than 20x when hunting, even if I lie down before making a shoot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭wingtip

Fellas, thanks a million for all your help, looks like I sparked some debate, lol, again lads, cheers:D

wingtip wrote: »
    Fellas, thanks a million for all your help, looks like I sparked some debate, lol, again lads, cheers:D

You will have to decide what will suit you best.
    I know a guy who shoots foxes and rabbits at over 300 yards with a 6x42 scope with a heavy plex reticle and another guy who keeps his scope set at 25 power all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭Constab2

Had both of the Elite's(4200 on the HMR & 6500 223) & changed them both for Zeiss Conquest's no experience with anything else bar the S&B Klassic have that on my 308 Remmie.I would not change them for anything excellent optics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

wingtip wrote: »
    I was wondering is there anyone out there who can give me some advice on what make of high magnification Varmint scope they would recommend for my .223 centrefire.. At present I am using a S & B 8x50, but due to failing eyesight lately I am missing too many red fellows, so HELP??:(

Wingtip,
    At what distances are you taking Mr. Fox?

An 8x magnification is fine for deer but a bit skimpy for smaller targets at distance.

I would go with a 6.5-20x magnification for lamping. Also, get a big bell, like a 50mm - gather as much light as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

Pity the conquest isn't really available here, the 6.5-20x50 is hard to beat.
    I know of no other scope that could match the performance at the same or less weight. I have two rifles set up with the conquest.
    For lamping alone a 12 mag would normally be good enough.
    edi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

5.5-22x56NXS N-PR2 Nightforce or Zeiss 6-24x56 30mm Tube Illum**

Myself and Paul compared scopes recenty in very low light and impossible to say which gathered more light.

Both bought second hand around the same money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

ejg wrote: »
    Pity the conquest isn't really available here, the 6.5-20x50 is hard to beat.
    I know of no other scope that could match the performance at the same or less weight. I have two rifles set up with the conquest.
    For lamping alone a 12 mag would normally be good enough.
    edi

We can get them cheap enough States side. Ironical, huh?

However, I still have not gotten one, I just do not like the reticle on the cheaper ones. The rapid z's are nice, but you pay a price.

I think they are still selling the 3-9x40mm Conquest for $400. One of the better values out there.
    5.5-22x56NXS N-PR2 Nightforce or Zeiss 6-24x56 30mm Tube Illum**

Myself and Paul compared scopes recenty in very low light and impossible to say which gathered more light.

Both bought second hand around the same money

I'll have to see these NightForces to determine if the dosh is worth dropping, given my particular needs.

I did see a Sightron the other day, nice piece of glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

Hi WingTip,

I think it was me who originally advised you to buy the 8x56. I still think it is the perfect lamping scope due to the clarity and the lack of fiddling around in the dark...

I got rid of my S&B 6x42 lately and moved to a Conquest 6.5-20x50 I think it's a great job. Certainly better than my Leupold 6.5-20x40.

I tend to come back to about 8x to find the fox and double check backstop; then crank right up to 20 to take the shot, even if only around 100 yards I will still go most of the way to 20x.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭shaft666

Swarovski PVI-2 Illuminated Dot 6-24x50. I keep mine on max power all the time, no problem picking up a fox and shot plenty at over 300 yards (measured)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

FISMA wrote: »

I did see a Sightron the other day, nice piece of glass.

+1

Have a sightron would recommend them to everyone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Norwayviking

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    +1

Have a sightron would recommend them to everyone

Agree on that one +1

I have have a sightron 6-24x50,great glass,and a 8-32x56 coming from the states shortly.
    Hard to beat,both in quality and price:D

Glensman wrote: »
    Hi WingTip,

I think it was me who originally advised you to buy the 8x56. I still think it is the perfect lamping scope due to the clarity and the lack of fiddling around in the dark...

I got rid of my S&B 6x42 lately and moved to a Conquest 6.5-20x50 I think it's a great job. Certainly better than my Leupold 6.5-20x40.

I tend to come back to about 8x to find the fox and double check backstop; then crank right up to 20 to take the shot, even if only around 100 yards I will still go most of the way to 20x.

Hope its working out great for you Glens.:D
    I just got my SII sightron 6-24x50,and reason is because its a mil\mil scope,i prefer that with the mildot,and more magnification for long range,and its a 30mm tube.:)

Hope its working out great for you Glens.:D
    I just got my SII sightron 6-24x50,and reason is because its a mil\mil scope,i prefer that with the mildot,and more magnification for long range,and its a 30mm tube.:)

I would prefer a 30mm tube myself.
    But there's no doubt the Zeiss is quality beats my leupold hands down.

There was a delay in getting my licence through, so all I've done with it is zero and then shoot 2 foxes. I might try it on a few long range crows over the weekend. No doubt she who must be obeyed's brother will be looking for a few shots with it!

Glensman wrote: »
    I would prefer a 30mm tube myself.
    But there's no doubt the Zeiss is quality beats my leupold hands down.

There was a delay in getting my licence through, so all I've done with it is zero and then shoot 2 foxes. I might try it on a few long range crows over the weekend. No doubt she who must be obeyed's brother will be looking for a few shots with it!

she who must be obeyed's

Ha ha know that one to well myself:D
    Anyway managed to get a new tikka t3 anyway for my birthday from she who must be obeyed.
    So applying when i get home in the weekend.
    Will be at the range in the weekend if you are around that part of the island,and we could shoot a few rounds there if you like.
    Need to chrony a few rounds.;)
    And with a new sightron SII 6-24x50 that needs zeroing.:D

she who must be obeyed's

Ha ha know that one to well myself:D
    Anyway managed to get a new tikka t3 anyway for my birthday from she who must be obeyed.
    So applying when i get home in the weekend.
    Will be at the range in the weekend if you are around that part of the island,and we could shoot a few rounds there if you like.
    Need to chrony a few rounds.;)
    And with a new sightron SII 6-24x50 that needs zeroing.:D

I actually might be about alright. Would love to see the range. I'll PM you to avoid thread spoiling...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

zeissman wrote: »

+1 have one on my .243 and its top class

Seems to be a good few zeiss conquests around.
    If your conquest has target turrets you can get a custom turret made from
    www.kentonindustries.com
    I have one and it works well.
    They make them for other popular scopes as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

If you don't have a VAST amount of money to spend, and some don't, you might have a look at MTC scopes. They are gaining in popularity over here, and the few I've seen in the club have been uniformly bright and can 'box' with great repeatability.

They have a number of models in your area of interest, too.

tac

Advertisement