Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio Station in Waterford

• 03-10-2011 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

Does anyone remember the name of a Radio Station in Waterford in the early 80's it was there sometime between 81 and 83 anyway. It was located on a street that ran paralell to the quay and was about half way up the street. As you approached the quay you turned right before you got down and it was on the left hand side of the road. It had a small studio, you went through a small waiting room before getting into the actual studio and it had a big window to the left of the DJ looking out to the waiting room. As well as the name of the station, does anyone remember what street it was on and what is there now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭jmcc

Suirside Radio?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_pirate_radio
    http://dxarchive.com/ireland_a_to_z_irish_pirates_suirside_radio.html

It was on the Mall but it moved to O'Connell Street or Thomas Street,I think.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭shanemul

http://www.cowesradio.co.uk/ABC/where.htm has a good bit of Info on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

ABC was in Tramore, then "Awundle" Square and finally above Egans on the Barronstand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭jmcc

Yep but neither Barronstrand Street or the place where ABC was in Arundle square are parallel to the Quay (perhaps they are more perpendicular) whereas O'Connell Street is. I think that a few of the ABC guys are on the forum and might be able to clarify. Was it at the Reginald's Tower end of the Quay or the Bridge end?

Regards...jmcc

Suirside was just off Ballybricken at one point and no 7 the Mall another as you say. I'm not aware of it being on O'Connell Street and apart from those "big 3" the only other pirate activity bar the odd "weekender" was ABC 104 (in the 90s).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Guramoogah

Didn't WLR have a studio in George's Street in the early 1980s? I remember having a few beers with some workmates in T&H Doolins and they had the radio on in the bar. One of the lads popped out and got a request played for us. Perhaps I'm mistaken but I think it was WLR and the studio was up a stairs somewhere near George's Court.

It was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Guramoogah wrote: »
    Didn't WLR have a studio in George's Street in the early 1980s? I remember having a few beers with some workmates in T&H Doolins and they had the radio on in the bar. One of the lads popped out and got a request played for us. Perhaps I'm mistaken but I think it was WLR and the studio was up a stairs somewhere near George's Court.

They were there much more recent than that until they moved out to Ardkeen. The door was right at the entrance to Georges court.

I'd say there was consternation when it was announced they were moving out to the ORR.

Radio station + pub is a natural fit ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

It was Sureside radio on Thomas St. It was upstairs at the back of where Frank English Ltd is today.

• Advertisement
Advertisement