Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please help Tekkie challenged with Kindle

• 03-10-2011 7:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

hi there

Can anyone tell me in the most basic language (suitable for a 4 year old is fine - wont be offended):

1. how and where do I buy a kindle,
    2. which one should I choose,
    3. what other features do they have apart from being able to read books, 4. why can I not buy books from amazon.uk (gotta get from
    amazon.com??)
    5. are there other websites that sell the books - are some websites
    cheaper than others?
    6. Is there an opposition product as good or better than kindle
    7. If I buy a UK kindle is it compatible with books from other countries -
    USA and South Africa are main concerns.

I apologise if I offend anyone with my severe dumbness re all things electronic. Makes for a lonely world when I can barely get the microwave to co-operate.:mad: Dare I say my next question relates to MP3 and Ipad thingamebobs but one "idiot's guide to technology" at a time?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

1. how and where do I buy a kindle, Amazon;)

2. which one should I choose, As I travel globally for work the 3G Keyboard is ideal as I can get online for free but your circumstances may be different. Do you want to surf with it? If not then touch maybe better for you

3. what other features do they have apart from being able to read books, They can do basic surfing, with the 3G I can check and respond to email when I travel wherever there is 3G for free. I also have a iphone and android with the Kindle app so my books are even on my phone

4. why can I not buy books from amazon.uk (gotta get from amazon.com??) You can buy books from any Amazon site, I often check .com, .co.uk etc for the best price.

cheaper than others? Never tried
    6. Is there an opposition product as good or better than kindle Dont know
    USA and South Africa are main concerns. Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

catzwizkas wrote: »
    hi there

Can anyone tell me in the most basic language (suitable for a 4 year old is fine - wont be offended):

1. how and where do I buy a kindle,

www.amazon.com (not co.uk, wont ship to Ireland). Heard a rumour that they sold them in Currys, could try ringing them.
    2. which one should I choose,

3G means you can download a book while out and about, since I have never had to do that, I stick to the wifi, so I can download books while at home and bring them out should the need arise. As of now, there are a couple of different model kindles. The new kindle has no keyboard on the bottom, less battery life and no 3g. But it's cheaper and lighter. The old kindle 3 is the one with the keyboard on the bottom (wifi or 3g). I have this one and I love it. edit: It's called Kindle Keyboard now.
    3. what other features do they have apart from being able to read books, 4. why can I not buy books from amazon.uk (gotta get from
    amazon.com??)

You can get books only from amazon.com unless you have a UK credit card address. You can also convert books using software called 'Calibre' and transfer books you have downloaded onto your kindle using the USB cable. It's fairly easy to do. other than that kindle has built in dictionary (useful), web browser and mp3 player, although the browser and mp3 are very very very basic....
    cheaper than others?

As far as I know, to direct download to kindle, only use amazon. If you use that Calibre software, you can download books from anywhere and put them on your kindle via usb cable.

I don't think so. Nook or Sony maybe, but I'm a kindle fan.
    USA and South Africa are main concerns.

Any book, using Calibre to put it on will be no problem. Although PDF files are not great after conversion.

I apologise if I offend anyone with my severe dumbness re all things electronic. Makes for a lonely world when I can barely get the microwave to co-operate.:mad: Dare I say my next question relates to MP3 and Ipad thingamebobs but one "idiot's guide to technology" at a time?

heheh, any other questions post them up. Not everyone is a nerd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Agree with all above, OH got one last year, 3g never used, I bought one on Amazon.com last wed evening, delivered to my door friday lunchtime from states:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Kernel wrote: »
    You can also convert books using software called 'Calibre' and transfer books you have downloaded onto your kindle using the USB cable. It's fairly easy to do.
    Don't get me wrong, Calibre is a great bit of software and I'd be lost without it, but I wouldn't describe it as easy. Certainly not for anyone who describes themselves as 'tech-challenged'.

But OP don't let that scare you off, everything gets easier after that. Keep firing those questions this way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Agree broadly with other posters, except
    You can get books only from amazon.com unless you have a UK credit card address.

I use my Irish credit card & a UK delivery address to buy from the .co.uk site, without problem.

Also, there are other sites, eg http://www.smashwords.com/, that sell books in mobi format suitable for kindle, - so no need to convert, you just transfer them using the usb.

I also have the 3G - very useful.

• Advertisement

juke wrote: »
    I use my Irish credit card & a UK delivery address to buy from the .co.uk site, without problem.

That's handy, didn't know you could do that. I prefer the co.uk book selection to be honest.

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, Calibre is a great bit of software and I'd be lost without it, but I wouldn't describe it as easy. Certainly not for anyone who describes themselves as 'tech-challenged'.

But OP don't let that scare you off, everything gets easier after that. Keep firing those questions this way.

Maybe, depending on how tech challenged I suppose. I love that you can just drag books to calibre, then plug your kindle in, right click on book, send to my device and bobs your uncle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I've a Sony PRS-505 which I really like (very portable), but if it broke, I'd probably get a Kindle as a replacement. I never use a keyboard though, so that would put me off a little.
    cheaper than others?

If Calibre works as well with the Kindle as it does with other devices and can convert ePub files etc, then that really gives you a lot more options. I use booksonboard.com quite a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Eoin wrote: »
    I've a Sony PRS-505 which I really like (very portable), but if it broke, I'd probably get a Kindle as a replacement. I never use a keyboard though, so that would put me off a little.

There's a non-keyboard version available now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

cheers - definitely a contender then for my next ereader

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 catzwizkas

To all of you thanks so much for your help. I've been a bit tied up at work this week but will revisit this on the weekend. Maybe I'll be a kindle owner by next week:p

Have a great weekend everyone

Once you've bought your book can you share it with others? I was surprised at the price of books - more than I thought. I'd feel better if I could pass the books around. thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,747 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That's handy, didn't know you could do that. I prefer the co.uk book selection to be honest.

Amazon have both my Irish address and a UK address and ask me which one I want to use. Since they deliver free to the UK the postage doesn't work out any more expensive. All you need is someone willing to redirect it from the UK.

Once you've bought your book can you share it with others? I was surprised at the price of books - more than I thought. I'd feel better if I could pass the books around. thanks

Yes you can "lend" some kindle books with other kindle users. The loan period is 14 days. But be warned, like a real book, you won't be able to read it while its on loan.

Still a little confused. If I make a copy of a book onto a USB stick and then go to someone else's Kindle and upload it so they can read it, how/who/what is keeping track of the 14 days? Or is not like copying a file on a computer? Do these books come with a self destruct timer program?

No its not done via USB; its done wirelessly through the 'Manage My Kindle' section of your Amazon account. More info here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200549320

Of course, if you have kindle compatible books on your computer, not bought on Amazon, you can "lend" them with an USB transfer.

Thanks. I'm getting there. I live in an area in Ireland with extremely bad reception for wi-fi. Can you plug in a dongle to have access to internet. i have an o2 dongle i use on my laptop? Told you the questions are going to be embarrasingly basic?

Thanks again

You could always buy the books on your laptop and transfer to the kindle with an USB. You won't get a connection by plugging in your o2 dongle into your Kindle.

However, if you really need to buy and install books on the go on the device itself; maybe you should check out the 3G version. The 3G is free and it should work where you live if you can get a 3G with your dongle.

But maybe someone more knowledgeable can confirm the above???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

Thanks. I'm getting there. I live in an area in Ireland with extremely bad reception for wi-fi. Can you plug in a dongle to have access to internet. i have an o2 dongle i use on my laptop? Told you the questions are going to be embarrasingly basic?

Thanks again
    Download kindle for the pc onto your laptop first of all (it's free)
    I presume you mean dsl broadband - when you say wifi ?
    Anyway if a dongle is the only way of getting broadband where you are you can look at getting a little box that shares the 02 3G - and gives you a wifi network

Advertisement