Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor 3G

Options
  • 03-10-2011 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭

hey all, I have an iphone with meteor (payg)

When I first started using it about a week ago it seemed like I could check my emails and facebook on 3G for free. Now I seem to be getting charged for it ??

Can anyone confirm if 3G is free or if you have to pay. I thought the whole point of 3g over wifi was that it was free and available almost everywhere???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

3g and wifi are completely different things. You cannot use both at same time. It's either one or the other.

Wifi = Shortrange wireless connected to your home broadband probably (or someone elses) = free.
    3g = What you use when you aren't on wifi. Meteor give you a data allowance (depends on contract). If you go over this you get charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,224 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You have an allowance of 3G data, wifi data is completely separate and nothing to do with your phone bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

You have an allowance of 3G data, wifi data is completely separate and nothing to do with your phone bill.

Is that allowance for free though? I cant log into meteor to find charges the site is down. I did a google search but cant find a definitive answer

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Irishchick wrote: »
    hey all, I have an iphone with meteor (payg)

When I first started using it about a week ago it seemed like I could check my emails and facebook on 3G for free. Now I seem to be getting charged for it ??

Were you using wifi and didnt know it?

Can anyone confirm if 3G is free or if you have to pay. I thought the whole point of 3g over wifi was that it was free and available almost everywhere???

3G has nothing to do with wifi / wlan. 3G is a type of data connection to your mobile network. Wifi or wlan is connecting to a router (hotspot) and this is free. Well someone is paying for it, but it doesn't go through your meteor sim so you aren't charged in your bill.

Is that allowance for free though? I cant log into meteor to find charges the site is down. I did a google search but cant find a definitive answer

What package did you get off meteor when you got an iphone?

• Advertisement

What package did you get off meteor when you got an iphone?

My BF got it on billpay and gave me the phone, i put my payg sim in it. I only have the free meteor txts plan. (top up by 5 euro a month)

was using it in the car and stuff so deffo wasnt on wifi. ( the symbols are different)

You don't get any data with a €5 top up, it'll cost you €30pm if you want the internet, have a look at 3's €20 top up deal you'll get a lot more for your money.

http://www.meteor.ie/pay-as-you-go/

You don't get any data with a €5 top up, it'll cost you €30pm if you want the internet, have a look at 3's €20 top up deal you'll get a lot more for your money.

http://www.meteor.ie/pay-as-you-go/
    Does that also apply when using facebook through an app I wonder?

I can't figure out if there charging per day up to a certain amount or charging for every kb

There charging you 69cent a day for up to 50mb of internet. So 1kb is 69cent.

There charging you 69cent a day for up to 50mb of internet. So 1kb is 69cent.
    Thanks,

Feel free to lock/delete this thread.

• Advertisement
Advertisement