Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Megadeth - Th1rt3en

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Kess73 wrote: »
    Any thoughts from folks who have listened to it in full?

I ordered it online so will not have it until next week, so just curious as to what kind of feedback it is getting from fellow Boardsies?
    Its a poppy thrash album if that makes sense, but its good. Nothing outstanding, but solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Think i'll pick this up this weekend. Early reviews seem pretty positive.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭MaidenSlayer

Just finished listening to it there. Think it's pretty good, wish there was a higher tempo in a few songs but we seem to forget they're getting old lol. A few catchy songs and love the "new" Millennium and New World Order. I reckon a few more listens and I reckon it will be up there with the best since the Golden Era.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭BadCompany

Just listened through for the first time, very impressed. While I thought the guitar work on Endgame was excellent (intro to Headcrusher nearly made my head explode!), I thought the vocal melodies on lots of songs seemed like an after-thought, with Mustaine just "singing" along in monotone (anyone else think this??). Thankfully this is not the case on Th1rt3en, much better constructed SONGS in my opinion. Very happy, will be taking a second listen first thing in the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Sounds good to me, but not blinding. There are some great tracks on it though, Black Swan, Sudden Death, 13. It's still early days though, as I only got to give it about two spins so far, so it may grow on me yet. I wasn't pushed on the last record straight away either, but over time I wound up really digging it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Was happy to see that Black swan was making an appearance, as it was one of the few songs from the albums since the system has failed that i've really liked... don't like the slight changes to it though (the soloing over it is awful as usual)

I really think Chris Broderick ruins the band.. it's just him and dave going meedly meedly meedly on the solos over and over. There's no contrast at all between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Bit of a mixed bag this album. Half the songs are great, the other half are a bit meh. Still an enjoyable album overall though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

...I really think Chris Broderick ruins the band.. it's just him and dave going meedly meedly meedly on the solos over and over. There's no contrast at all between the two.

I don't think any line up has topped, the line up with Friedman. He brought melody and tone to the music.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

BostonB wrote: »
    I don't think any line up has topped, the line up with Friedman. He brought melody and tone to the music.

Yup totally. I guess part of why the last album by Megadeth that I really like is the system has failed because that has Chris Poland doing lead on it, and his stuff is always really interesting to hear also. Pity Dave couldn't recruit him again for long term :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15 metalover

Well, It's not the best but it sure beat Metallica's new album "Lulu"
    It kinda sounds like Dave wasn't really intrested recording the album, sounds like he was bored or something. I'm more of a fan of their albums like Peace Sells. To be honest Endgame was better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭MaidenSlayer

Just read on Blabbermouth there that Dave and the lads only had 2 months to write 11 of the 13 songs (Sudden Death and Never Dead were already done). Wonder if they had longer would the album be stronger and heavier... In saying that for the amount of time they had it's a beast of an album!

metalover wrote: »
    It kinda sounds like Dave wasn't really intrested recording the album, sounds like he was bored or something.

I wouldnt say that. It definitely sounds like he's trying but the problem here is that he's getting old and some of the creative spark that made their back catalogue so phenemonal appears to be gone. After being in the game so long it can get difficult to push out consistently top notch metal. It's a solid album but obviously it's not a patch on the classics.

Public Enemy No.1 live on Jimmy Kimmel.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Testament1 wrote: »
    Public Enemy No.1 live on Jimmy Kimmel

Great stuff,great to see them enter into the spirit of Halloween. Also great to see Mustaine back in action after surgery.:)

lord lucan wrote: »
    Great stuff,great to see them enter into the spirit of Halloween. Also great to see Mustaine back in action after surgery.:)

I'll admit that I wasnt a fan of that song when I first heard it but its really grown on me. Great live performance of it there, hopefully they can keep the live shows at that level. The costumes were pretty cool aswell I thought, especially since they didnt dress up for "Night of the Living Megadeth" back in 94.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

Testament1 wrote: »
    I wouldnt say that. It definitely sounds like he's trying but the problem here is that he's getting old and some of the creative spark that made their back catalogue so phenemonal appears to be gone. After being in the game so long it can get difficult to push out consistently top notch metal. It's a solid album but obviously it's not a patch on the classics.

It's an okay album. There are some really good standout songs on it, but Megadeth will never release anything as outstainding as 'Countdown to Extinction' or Youthanasia again.

Advertisement