Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Confusion!

Options
  • 03-10-2011 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey, I'm looking for a bit of unbiased advice about college!
    Well, I always wanted to study English at Trinity and was lucky enough to get the points for it this year. The problem is that I really don't like Dublin at all! My accommodation is horrible and find all the travelling to be a pain. I have to go home every weekend which is a condition with my 'digs' and it takes three hours, plus I have to do all this bussing around and stuff. I'm thinking about dropping out soon and maybe doing a fas course or something this year and then going to Galway next year to do arts with creative writing. Overall I think I'd really prefer Galway and to be honest the course isn't really all that it was made out to be in Trinity. I find Dublin to be extremely uninspiring and my main goal in life is to be a writer. I haven't written at all since I came here! I'm also worried that I won't like Galway next year after putting my parents through all this hassle! It's been very expensive for them so far and they were so proud of me getting a place. They're pretty annoyed about me feeling this way. Dublin is just so big an unfriendly-I feel like it's sucking the life out of me. I'm exhausted all the time and dread coming back on a Sunday. I don't want to regret abandoning the course when I'm not certain about liking the one in Galway. Also it would mean having to start all over again and hang around home for 10 months. I don't know what to do at all but have to decide by the end of the week-my rent's up!:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭kob29

Tricky situation to be in and if it's any consolation you're not alone in not liking uni and Dublin. Our further ed college has had people arrive last week after dropping out of UCD already. If you decide to leave make sure you go through the official withdrawal procedure to avoid fees next year and you should immediately see if there's a deadline on this, it's probably close to now.
    You could always ring admissions in galway now and see if there have been any dropouts...long long long long shot.

If you're dropping out now then I'd definitely line up some nightcourses that will benefit you. FAS courses at the mo are a lot hit and miss with their fetac accreditation cancelled/under review.

Look life is too short to be miserable but get a solid plan of action in order before you waste anymore money. Maybe pick up a useful qualification in the year that you can have a chance to work with next year to help finance college, like lifeguarding?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 clodagh_b

I'm in a very similar situation. i'm currently in maynooth doing arts, and i absolutely hate it. the course is grand but i dont like the campus at all and im finding it really hard to get used to it. i want to go do arts in galway next year, i think it'l be much easier to settle into.. I know i can de-register before oct 31st and stil be registered for fees, but ive paid campus accom until christmas and im worried they wont refund.. its really stressful and its just such a burden to bear..

anyways, rant over! just letting you know, you're not alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Yeah Buddy

Really you're as well to just stick out the year. What's the point in sitting at home twiddling your thumbs? You would be bored out of your mind - at least in college you have things to do, places to go etc

Worst comes to worst, there's always Coppers...

Advertisement