Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I ask for reimbursement of travel and accommodation expenses?

Options
  • 03-10-2011 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I received a PFO email today for a job I interviewed for last week.

The interview was a weird one in that I strongly felt right from the off that I had no chance of getting it. I had been collected in the lobby by one of interviewers because the building could only be entered by swipe access. When she arrived she gave me the crappiest handshake ever, didn't make eye contact and barely spoke to me in the lift on the way up to the interview. This put me on edge and the interview was a disaster.

This would be fine if I had only travelled a short distance but I had to make a very convoluted train journey across the country which cost me 78 Euro as well as having to pay for accommodation down there as the interview was in the morning so I had to stay the night before, plus all the little expenses that add up. So I went to considerable cost to go to this interview and feel somewhat annoyed that I forked out so much when they probably knew they were never going to hire me. And they would have known how far I would have travelled from my address.

Would it be incredibly cheeky of me to inquire about some sort of reimbursement of my travel and accommodation costs? They mentioned the whole keeping my CV on file spiel in the email but I really don't know if it's worth staying in their good books as they didn't seem hugely impressed with me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

First off, sorry to hear that you weren't successful.

but having said that, yes I do think it would be very cheeky to look for reimbursement and not only cheeky, but a complete waste of time.

You were offered an interview - you knew where it was and at what time of day. You chose to attend anyway. If you got the job would you be looking for your expenses back? You chose to attend, you knew the costs, so I honestly don't see what case you have for expenses. They are under no obligation to give you the job, you are under no obligation to attend the interview. It was your choice at the end of the day - end of story as far as I can see.

The fact you did or did not get the job is besides the point. Perhaps they took one look at you and said no, perhaps they interviewed someone 10mins before and they impressed so much that they had made their mind up before they even met you - you have no way of knowing for sure. This could have been the case whether you travelled 5 mins down the road or 5 hours.

What might be of more use is to ask for feedback and see if there is something specific you can improve on for next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

In my defense, I've been offered reimbursement at a number of interviews I've been to and thought this might be the case here. With other interviews, the option was there to conduct the interview via Skype. It's not out the ordinary for costs to be refunded, at least partly.

I also think that even if they had decided on someone else, I deserved a somewhat civil welcome after travelling so far and I didn't get that.

I don't know what industry you are in and as a result don't know if interview expenses are the norm. If they are the norm, and you knew you would be travelling so far at such expense, then I would think it was your own responsibility to ask this before deciding to attend or not. They may well have said, no you can't claim expenses and you could have decided to go anyway, but the fact is you didn't ask, and in reality are only looking for money back now because you didn't get the job and feel that they did not give you due attention after all your effort.

For what its worth, I totally understand how frustrated and annoyed you feel - I would be the same, worse probably!:p The interviewer sounds like a right rude cow, but that's life. There is no guarantee that she would have treated you any worse or better had you only travelled 1 mile to the interview. She might just be crap. The hard part of an interview is winning someone over, especially when they make it difficult to do so, but lets be honest, the onus to impress is on you, not the interviewer, not in this job market anyway. They get to pick and choose, you don't, and some employers know it and don't even make an effort. It sucks, but that's life in a recession unfortunately.

I did actually wonder before the interview whether I'd be reimbursed but was reluctant to ask because I thought that might single me out as awkward or something.

• Advertisement

Lesson learned then - ask first. If you are worried on how to ask these types of questions, perhaps go online, or post here on boards as to what people think is a good way to broach these types of questions.
    Personally I think you can get away with asking these questions without jeopardising your chances provided you have the right approach, and the approach depends on the nature of the work.

If it were me, in my line of work, I would just ask the person setting the interview would they mind if I asked a few questions prior to the interview. Then I would have a few questions that are the sorts of questions which are insightful and show interest in the role, and in the middle slip in the question of expenses! but that might not be the right approach for your industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭James.

Job Reject wrote: »
    I've been offered reimbursement at a number of interviews I've been to ... It's not out the ordinary for costs to be refunded, at least partly.

sounds out of the ordinary to me.
    certainly not ordinary for most normal jobs.
    what kind of job was it or what industry is it ?

James. wrote: »
    sounds out of the ordinary to me.
    certainly not ordinary for most normal jobs.
    what kind of job was it or what industry is it ?

Science. It's happened to me a lot. Dunno what else to tell ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

No harm in asking, even if just to annoy the bastards who interviewed you.

Regarding staying overnight.. why didn't you ask them to reschedule the interview in the afternoon?

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    Regarding staying overnight.. why didn't you ask them to reschedule the interview in the afternoon?

Could have done, I suppose. But I was so excited when I got the phone call about the interview (as it was a job I really wanted) that I just didn't question it! :):o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You should have agreed expenses before attending the interview - when they might have wanted you.

Not a hope of getting them now, I'd guess.

OK, thanks for the responses, all. I didn't do it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Magnos

I have an assessment centre in the UK next week, i have traveled a few time to UK and the company pays the expense. But this company will not, but im on jobseekers allowance so is there anyway in which the social welfare could pay some of the expense? as it is of quite a cost for travelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

No they wont pay for it, you could chance your arm and go to your local cwo and talk to them and see if they could help you financially, buts its not a given

edellc wrote: »
    No they wont pay for it, you could chance your arm and go to your local cwo and talk to them and see if they could help you financially, buts its not a given

Should i bother going to the local welfare office?, as my cwo's office is closed for this week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

have you anything better to be doing? if you dont ask you wont get and the worst you can be told is no, i would go but only if its not a million miles trek to get there

edellc wrote: »
    have you anything better to be doing? if you dont ask you wont get and the worst you can be told is no, i would go but only if its not a million miles trek to get there

Ya your right. Im only asking them because its the 3rd time I have been in UK in 6 weeks for an interview! quite annoying! as i said most places pay you, but my money is tied up waiting to get it back!

Advertisement