Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halo for a bunny after neutering

• 03-10-2011 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Got two new boys last week, 8 months old each, and had them neutered today. Got them back and they both had halos on. Now one of them managed to get his off in seconds while the other is still wearing his. Is this common practice? Or can I take it off him? We have a girl, Rafa, who got neutered a while back and didn't get a halo. In the same vet surgery!

I know there's a worry they might chew the stitches out but is keeping an eye on them enough?

So to summarise - do they generally get halos after neutering, and are they necessary?
    Thanks y'all

Kenny

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 moses13

I have had many many rabbits male and female neutered over the years and have never had a halo on any of them:confused: I can honestly say that I never had a problem with them chewing stitches out either. I would suggest taking it off and keeping a close watch on them for a short time and if they are not messing with the wound then they should be ok.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Mine got one last week nhad no external sitches. They were glued together

• Registered Users Posts: 21 moses13

godtabh wrote: »
    Mine got one last week nhad no external sitches. They were glued together
    Yep that seems to be the way to go now. I had a couple done that way too. Also with the males they sometimes make a small opening and don't stitch or glue they leave it open to heal itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

It depends on the rabbit, I always have a cone put on rabbits some might not pick but left off a cone once and within a half hour the bun had opened up her stitches, luckily not all the way but she had to under go another anesthetic to close her up. So if the bun gets regular stitches it's not worth the risk of having them have to go under yet another anesthetic so soon imo. They get used to the cone after a couple of days.

If you don't want to put the cone back on then you'll need to keep a very close eye.

Advertisement