Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

4 ft half stake for electric wire

• 03-10-2011 7:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

is my local connaught gold the only place who doesnt do them anymore?

I ask for 4ft, she said, no only 5, i said 5 ft half, she said, no, 5 ft round, 3inch round. .

1. A half Stake is so so so much easier to get in to the gravel/limestone land that im fencing with. it just cuts its way down much easier, 3 inch round is a curse, u need the bar etc. .
    2. A 4 ft stake is much much easier to hammer in with the 14pd lump hammer than a 5 ft, u need to stand on a box depending on the footage around the area ur fencing in.

its only holding light electric wire 4 ft off the ground, i have a few 5fts in use, and they look silly, a ft of timber or so sticking out above the fence. . .

then she said . . .€2 a stake, for the 5ft 3inch round, i said good luck to ya lass. . .

opinions people. ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

I paid 2.20 today for 5ft 3" round ones i thought it wasnt too bad . They didnt have the half round ones there either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭charityboy

is my local connaught gold the only place who doesnt do them anymore?

I ask for 4ft, she said, no only 5, i said 5 ft half, she said, no, 5 ft round, 3inch round. .

1. A half Stake is so so so much easier to get in to the gravel/limestone land that im fencing with. it just cuts its way down much easier, 3 inch round is a curse, u need the bar etc. .
    2. A 4 ft stake is much much easier to hammer in with the 14pd lump hammer than a 5 ft, u need to stand on a box depending on the footage around the area ur fencing in.

its only holding light electric wire 4 ft off the ground, i have a few 5fts in use, and they look silly, a ft of timber or so sticking out above the fence. . .

then she said . . .€2 a stake, for the 5ft 3inch round, i said good luck to ya lass. . .

opinions people. ?
    price a contractor ,you will get a receipt ,a job that will last for years and not many of them use the ****e stakes you are looking for ,not many places do split stakes any more because very few people would use them anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

A lot of those types of posts the OP is posting about are rubbish. Would the steel one's used for temp electric fencing get you going?

4' wire height seems high to my mind too. I usually put one strand of plain wire up 3' or a little more!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭allenview

5ft 5/7'' straining post, 5ft 4/5'' inter medium posts, high tinsel 2.5 plain wire, postdriver, life time job, you will have to do it once only.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭allenview

2 strand electric fence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056306913

See post no6 and onwards. I've started using these between strainers and they're working a treat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭charityboy

allenview wrote: »
    2 strand electric fence
    top quality job allenview job for life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I've never seen or heard of 4 foot stakes.
    You say you're attaching the wire at 4 foot, so unless you're balancing these 4 foot stakes on their tips, I suspect you're looking for 5 foot stakes.

To the best of my knowledge and experience, a stake is measured on its total length, including the point, not on how much of it might be sticking out of the ground.

Haven't seen half-round stakes on sale for years, sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭NewBeefFarmer

Krikey, a lot of con fusion.

I see we all have a different height for the wire, ill measure and take photos. But i like mine to be the height of the pigtale temporary metal post.

We must either have our wires crossed or its because we have wire at diff heights.

these posts only hold up wire not stop running animals.

I do like the re-bar idea. . . . Hmmm.

Let me check this out, job for life sounds good.

Might not be great on hills and curved boundrys

nbf

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

allenview wrote: »
    2 strand electric fence

that's top quality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Oak 'split' stakes were supposed to be a great job if you didn't care about the look of them. Seen a neighbour use them to put a row or two of barbed wire along by a stone wall. Now there's a stake that would last a lifetime! Just try driving a staple into them! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

I see we all have a different height for the wire, ill measure and take photos. But i like mine to be the height of the pigtale temporary metal post.

We must either have our wires crossed or its because we have wire at diff heights.

Yeah I've been thinking about the height of the wire and I don't think any of mine is more than 3ft, with the my prefered height being around 2ft 6in. This I can hop over without getting the jewels fried;). In some spots it's hanging as low as 1ft, but this is usually along a drain where they're not going to hop it. (It's one of those long finger jobs that one of these days I'll get to re-hang and strain, but it's been that way for a few years and no cattle have passed through it).

I suppose it depends on it's location. Just to divide fields one strand at 2ft to 2ft6in will suffice. If its a roadway you'll need more strands, particularly for calves. At pressure points where calves could break some sheep wire is good too.

I agree the professional job is best, but when cash is tight it mightn't be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭FREDNISMO

my local co-op always has split stakes but they dont have any stakes less than 5 1/2 foot, I think you will struggle to get a 4 foot stake any where

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭NewBeefFarmer

FREDNISMO wrote: »
    my local co-op always has split stakes but they dont have any stakes less than 5 1/2 foot, I think you will struggle to get a 4 foot stake any where
    Geees ill have to soak what i have in burnt oil. . . .

By the way, it trully works to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Muckit wrote: »
    Oak 'split' stakes were supposed to be a great job if you didn't care about the look of them. Seen a neighbour use them to put a row or two of barbed wire along by a stone wall. Now there's a stake that would last a lifetime! Just try driving a staple into them! :o
    Spit on the end of the staple and it will go into anything. I still have a few oak stakes the grandfather put in over 50 years ago and still holding up (even though the bottom rotted, were ok to drive again)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I think it was the fact that they split (with an axe or a wedge) with the grain and weren't cut with a saw that made them so weather resistant. They surface went like glass, water just ran off them.

The magic of a spit eh? :D Great to check for a leaking valve too..... oh and when we were kids, Mam with a tissue to clean our messy faces before heading in the church door.... ehhhhhhahhh! :D

Advertisement