Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibre Broadband

• 03-10-2011 7:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, what are everyones thoughts on the potential rollout to every home of fibre broadband ? I would imagine it would cost crazy money to get it installed or could the cable tv network be used?

Would you switch to fibre powered broadband? 21 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No to expensive
    100% 21 votes

Comments

But I have 50Mb. I dont need anymore than that, so I voted for no.

And yes it would be way too expensive to get FTTH to every house. The country simple could afford it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

But I have 50Mb. I dont need anymore than that, so I voted for no.

And yes it would be way too expensive to get FTTH to every house. The country simple could afford it.

Only 2.5 Billion, how much are those banks costing again? The Esb already deliver to every house in the country, it's not a big deal

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Only 2.5 Billion, how much are those banks costing again? The Esb already deliver to every house in the country, it's not a big deal
    Really?

Thought it would have cost a lot more than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Have 50mb here with UPC,they only upgraded our estate about a year ago,don't really need any faster cos it's grand for streaming,downloading and gaming on the Xbox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if it was gigabit then yes, but i have 100mbps now with UPC, so it would want to be faster and cheaper than that (with no cap) for it to be worth switching.

• Advertisement

Have 50mb here with UPC,they only upgraded our estate about a year ago,don't really need any faster cos it's grand for streaming,downloading and gaming on the Xbox.

We need net neutral fiber, owned by the people, that any provider can deliver on.

Not like UPC, who don't share their network with anyone else and don't bother peering in this country with Google and many of the Irish Isp's. Upc have no interest in providing in rural areas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

anyone else got any thoughts on this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭funnyname

I'd get the shovel out if I could

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭PhiliousPhogg

New Zealand is in the early stages of rolling out an Ultra Fast Broadband (FTTH) network to cover 75% of the population over 6 years. The service will be 100Mbps download & 50Mbps upload speed. There is a sideline Rural Broadband Initiative project to roll out 5Mbps services to 97% of the remainder.

New Zealand's population is around the same as Ireland's however it has a higher portion of it's population in urban areas (72% vs 61% from wikipedia) making rollout an easier task. (Whatever about wikipedia, you don't get housing all over the place here like you do in Ireland)

The funding is through public-private partnerships and the government expects to invest NZ $1.35bn (€0.75m) and partners to invest the same if not more.

None of the participating companies in the rollout can provide end user services, they must sell use of the network to service providers. As a result the main partner, Telecom New Zealand is demergering its network arm from its retail & wholesale business into separate companies.

However the government investment will gradually be repaid after the network is built as buildings are connected. The building will be done through joint venture companies and the government holdings in those companies will be bought out by the private companies as connections are made. Those companies will then be able to sell network use onto service providers. I'm not sure of the specifics of it but the idea is that when end users begin to use it the money will begin to flow back into goverment pockets.

Effectively it's a loan to private companies to build the network. There are various debates on the value of the business model to the end user and the taxpayer but mostly its about whether it's worth the investment. Like some people mentioned above the existing copper is almost as fast as the fibre however the fibre is more reliable and will last much much longer.

Rural is not a problem, the ESB already deliver to every house in the country. We just need a proper Government Minister with foresight beyond the 4 years they're in power. A 6-10 year plan would be perfect. Not this band aid mobile and satellite effort.

• Advertisement

Maybe Europe can donate towards our cause
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15320628

I bet our Minister will be spouting lies to Europe telling them we've been very successful in our last broadband schemes, we don't need any funds, the job is done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I bet our Minister will be spouting lies to Europe telling them we've been very successful in our last broadband schemes, we don't need any funds, the job is done.

That's exactly what he said on the news yesterday...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

bealtine wrote: »
    That's exactly what he said on the news yesterday...

Because that is what his civil servants told him to say!

Advertisement