Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arts degree - Law degree

Options
  • 03-10-2011 8:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hello, in my final year of arts and facing the daunting fact that im fairly snookered in terms of career choices. Looking into doing another degree once completing arts. I wont be a mature student seeing as I will be 22 next september.
    Does anyone know what the process is for doing another degree? Do I have to go through the cao points system or can I even dream big and try get into law? which I would not have the points for? Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

You can study for the exams for Blackhall place (Solicitor) without a law degree or you can do a 2 year post-grad diploma in Law at the Kings Inn (Barrister) depending on what route in law you want to take.

That said, the law world right now is also extremely hard to get started in and unless you have a lot of contacts, you're going to find it very very tough. A masters in some form of Business related degree might be more useful if you're accepted into such program.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Arts degree = Law degree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

xlami90 wrote: »
    Hello, in my final year of arts and facing the daunting fact that im fairly snookered in terms of career choices. Looking into doing another degree once completing arts. I wont be a mature student seeing as I will be 22 next september.

Pretty sure you've to be 23 on Jan 1st of the year you're applying to as well as having been out of education for a couple of years.

In other words

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=irish+mature+student+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

jimi_t2 wrote: »
    Pretty sure you've to be 23 on Jan 1st of the year you're applying to as well as having been out of education for a couple of years.

In other words

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=irish+mature+student+
    You don't have to have been out of education for a few years. Once you are 23 on January 1st of the year you apply, you are a mature student.

When you were Googling that for the poster, you could have actually read it :pac:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/grants_and_funds_available_for_mature_students.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

xlami90 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the process is for doing another degree? Do I have to go through the cao points system or can I even dream big and try get into law? which I would not have the points for? Any feedback would be much appreciated.

You'll have to pay for it so it will be around €20,000.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Looks like you're in the same boat as me. Graduated with a BA, realised the only job I'm qualified for (archaeology) doesn't exist in this country anymore.

You can apply for college through the CAO in February, but you'll have to pay upwards of 5,000 a year for Law for a university higher degree. No more free fees or govt. assistance :(

Look at other options, outside Ireland, internships, government programmes (BTEA, Springboard) loans or working for a few years to get the money.

It sounds like a lot of money, but spread over 4 years it's actually doable if you REALLY want it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Quite a few Barristers and solicitors do not have a law degree. My advice if you want to do law decide on which side of the profession, and just go for it. But be advised, long haul, will cost you a lot, and you may earn very little for a long time. To give you idea.

Year 1 and 2 part time in kings inns to get diploma, advantage can work full time as course is in the evening.
    Then either 1 year full time or 2 years part time, advantage of part time can work as well. So now qualified as barrister in same time as to do a 3 or 4 year law degree.

But then 1 year deviling no pay and little or no income, years 2 to five you will be lucky to make enough to cover outgoings for business. Years 6 to 10 if you have got this far you are more than likely making a good living.

For solicitor do FE1 exams usually takes a year or 2 to get them. Then arrange apprenticeship if you get one, then wait for PPC1 to start 6 months in Dublin, then back to office for a year I think then PP2 3 months followed by remainder of time in office all going well pos 3 to 4 years then try get job, starting solicitors who can get job I believe starting on 30k a year I know good solicitors 5 years PQE on 50k. Also know a few on the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

UCD now does a masters in common law, which is a full-time version of the King's Inns postgrad dip. The King's Inns course, although it says it's part-time... It's not, not by a long chalk. It's pretty hard going and they're pretty old school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

El Siglo wrote: »
    UCD now does a masters in common law, which is a full-time version of the King's Inns postgrad dip. The King's Inns course, although it says it's part-time... It's not, not by a long chalk. It's pretty hard going and they're pretty old school.

It may have got harder, I did not do the dip, but I did the BL part time as did many of my friends and held down full time jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

It may have got harder, I did not do the dip, but I did the BL part time as did many of my friends and held down full time jobs.

The BL isn't too bad, they just load a pile of exams on you at the end, my sister had to do 14 or something like that and she was working as well. The Postgrad Dip however was pretty difficult though, worse than the BL and even though they say part-time it's far from that with the amount of work you have to do. Either way, there's no easy route to becoming a barrister.

• Advertisement
Advertisement