Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

multi stop flight to NZ

Options
  • 03-10-2011 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭

hi there

im hoping to make a three week trip to NZ in the coming months but im not sure im up to the epic flight , i think id like to stop for a day or so in either asia or california to break up the journey , can anyone tell me whether this is a very expensive option or is it merley a case of adding up the cost of a hotel for one or two nights in los angeles or singapore - malaysia etc , would also appreciate a link to an online site which provides multi stop options

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I landed in Auckland yesterday! I flew with Cathay Pacific. I had a stopover in Hong Kong and had the option to stay for a few days but decided to plough on through and get here. The return flight was €1650 return and I only booked it six weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭jamiecoins

how ya

exactly wat im doing just do a google search for cheap nz flights
    im currently looking at the stp over for 14 hours in lax
    but more options hong kong etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

cantdecide wrote: »
    I landed in Auckland yesterday! I flew with Cathay Pacific. I had a stopover in Hong Kong and had the option to stay for a few days but decided to plough on through and get here. The return flight was €1650 return and I only booked it six weeks ago.

that seems extremly expensive , i can get a flight with eithad for around 1150 and a flight with singapore for around 1220 and thats for november flight , november is generally a little more expensive than october

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I was told I did quite well. It's also the middle of the rugby world cup.

cantdecide wrote: »
    I was told I did quite well. It's also the middle of the rugby world cup.

ah well perhaps the rugby world cup effected the price , cathay pacific are one of the luxury carriers , probabley reflected in price

did you find the journey exhausting , havent been over in over 12 years myself and dread the idea

• Advertisement

this thread should be labeled stop over rather than multi city

was wondering if anyone has flown with korean air to new zealand or australia , im planning a short trip to nz in the coming months but dont think i could stand the direct flight , singapore seems very expensive for a stop over and malaysian airlines are an expensive airline despite the fact that kuala lumpur itself is cheap , another option is seoul for a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

Every time i've been home i've stopped in either Bangkok or Hong Kong (Flying Thai or Qantas/BA) or when going the other way San Francisco (Flying Air NZ/Swiss). Cathay Pacific also offer good deals aroudn this time of year stopping through Hong Kong.

Korean are supposed to be one of the cheapest and Soel is well worth a visit.

Personally i don't mind paying a bit more as i'm really tall and have gone mad when i did the route direct without break. But if you're after cheap I hear Korean are generally the cheapest.

I know people assume websites such as ebookers are the cheapest but your travel agent will have access to the best deals as well and can take advantage of the alliances between airlines to get you the route you want and maybe a round the world ticket.

Last Xmas I did Wellington-Auckland-Bangkok (10 day stop)-Frankfurt-Dublin (20 day stop)-Zurich-San Francisco (10 days)-Auckland-Wellington for approx 1300 euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

If you can take a stopover I recommend it. I did it in April in KL on a flight from Melbourne to Dublin and enjoyed my day and a half there..
    I'm in Auckland at the moment and the flight to NZ is pretty savage in 1 go. I have to do the flight back to Dublin next week and I'm not looking forward to it. I'd stop off for a day or so in HK if I could but I'm working so...
    Got a bonus yesterday though by being on the plane with the Irish team yesterday on an internal flight between Wellington & Auckland :p

pclancy wrote: »
    Every time i've been home i've stopped in either Bangkok or Hong Kong (Flying Thai or Qantas/BA) or when going the other way San Francisco (Flying Air NZ/Swiss). Cathay Pacific also offer good deals aroudn this time of year stopping through Hong Kong.

Korean are supposed to be one of the cheapest and Soel is well worth a visit.

Personally i don't mind paying a bit more as i'm really tall and have gone mad when i did the route direct without break. But if you're after cheap I hear Korean are generally the cheapest.

I know people assume websites such as ebookers are the cheapest but your travel agent will have access to the best deals as well and can take advantage of the alliances between airlines to get you the route you want and maybe a round the world ticket.

Last Xmas I did Wellington-Auckland-Bangkok (10 day stop)-Frankfurt-Dublin (20 day stop)-Zurich-San Francisco (10 days)-Auckland-Wellington for approx 1300 euros.

eithad are by far the cheapest airline to australia - new zealand but i see stopping in abu dhabi as a waste of time as its only a third of the way there plus ive no interest in the place , legroom is an issue for me aswell , malyasian and thai are the best for seat pitch according to skytrax , ive heard nothing but bad about qantas and british airways and as for air new zealand , they only fly via los angeles and are expensive , i think i might actually go with malaysian , while thier more expensive than korean , kuala lumpur is much cheaper than seoul and seems like an interesting place for three or four days

murrayp4 wrote: »
    If you can take a stopover I recommend it. I did it in April in KL on a flight from Melbourne to Dublin and enjoyed my day and a half there..
    I'm in Auckland at the moment and the flight to NZ is pretty savage in 1 go. I have to do the flight back to Dublin next week and I'm not looking forward to it. I'd stop off for a day or so in HK if I could but I'm working so...
    Got a bonus yesterday though by being on the plane with the Irish team yesterday on an internal flight between Wellington & Auckland :p

i wonder will the goys :D get to fly home in 1st class , they sure as hell deserve it , imagine the likes of poc and doc at over 6 ft 6 having to cram into a 32 inch seat pitch

• Advertisement

If you aren't looking for exceptional comfort, I can recommend Air Asia.
    I did a flight from Christchurch (new route) to KL and KL to London for less than €600. The Auckland to Christchurch and London to Dublin were the easier bits.
    Did it over 3 days and was buggered for a week. Hard going.
    KL is a great transit hub though. Can fly anywhere in Asia from there, check out airasia again.

Yep Air Asia have very cheap deals but expect Ryanair style service with no included food or entertainment. Another good thing about Cathay Pacific was the fact their seats dont recline which means you don't get the fecker in front reclinging into your face. It was on the A340 I was on, might not apply to all of their aircraft so maybe check Seatguru.

God I hate long distance flying, considering how much you pay for the experience the space you get is tiny and cramped with no real comfort for the 12 hours you must endure. The prices they charge for premium economy or exit seats are insane, never mind business class that is totally out of reach of most peoples pockets.

I love living in New Zealand but the trips home are something I dread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

I've only ever flown with malaysian airlines but I had a great time - stopped for a week in malaysia and went to langkawi. Great little beach-town/island. Good for lazy days getting over jetlag.

One of the airlines were doing dirt cheap flights from there to christchurch too - like 50 euro's or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭LuckyCharms

Came over with Cathay the day before the RWC started for 1050 return which i really happy with considering i booked it the week before. The flight itself was grand, no complaints really, no screaming babies or the like!

The biggest gripe i had was having to fork over something like 70/80 quid for the extra legroom seat for each leg which i was a bit disgusted by.

Other than that, Air Hostesses were hot, the tv movies were decent enough, and i was very happy with the price. Stopovers were generally 3-5 hours which was enough time to prepare yourself for the next leg. Think it was 9 hrs london to hong kong then 11 or 12 to auckland

If you've got time, having a shower at Hong Kong or Singapore during your stopover is an amazingly good way to refresh and hop into a change of clothes.

Advertisement