Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Att. English Teachers-How Many Miles to Babylon on dvd?

• 03-10-2011 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi all,

I'm covering this as part of the comparative study. I've shown my sixth years the clip from the Daniel Day-Lewis 1982 version when Alicia tells Alec that Frederick is not his father. They are quite a weak class and they enjoyed seeing the film in conjunction with reading the text. I'd love to get my hands on a copy of the whole film. Google has failed me.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Incognito35

Thanks for your reply RH149. I'll keep searching.

It's not a necessity, but it would be handy, especially for a bit of revision after the mocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 nicmc

I managed to get a copy on VHS on amazon over a year ago and to be fair the quality is rather poor. It would be great to get my hands on a better copy so I'll keep you posted if I come across anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Showed the exact same clip in class today! I think theres a trailer to the movie floating around as well. Have given up hope getting any kind of a decent version though..why a DVD hasn't been produced I don't know considering the amount of teachers that would buy it! A shame because I think the acting in the clip is pretty impressive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

Benicetomonty, I also liked the acting. My class got very animated about whether she was telling Alec the truth or not!

nicmc, thanks for that. I'll do the same.

Postgrad10, off to have a look at that site now. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Macushlablue

I also managed to get a VHS copy of it many years ago...I found it very helpful in class because it's more or less an exact rendering of the book. Also, because the book contains so much dialogue, it almost functions as a screenplay! My class loved discussing their perceptions of the characters from the book and from the film.

A poster very kindly sent me a copy of the dvd. My class really enjoyed it too. Thanks for all replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jackieden

A poster very kindly sent me a copy of the dvd. My class really enjoyed it too. Thanks for all replies.

Hi I am now looking for a copy of "how many miles to babylon" and came across your query. Wonder if you can help me, as its for my daughter doing her final exams in school this summer.:)

Advertisement