Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Battle of Aughrim on the original 12 July 1691

Options
  • 03-10-2011 10:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭

I read somewhere that this was the largest battle to be fought on Irish Soil and was the decisive battle between the Williamites and the Jacobites.

That said I know little about it other than it was won by the Williamites and became obscured historically by the much less important Battle of the Boyne.

How it got obscured was when the gregorian callender was adopted in Britain in 1752 the lore that was built up around the "Glorious Twelfth" got swapped over to the "skirmish" in Co Meath.

The anniversary of the decisive battle now fell on the 22nd July.

I know knothing about the battle and would love to know more.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭HellsAngel

CDfm wrote: »
    I read somewhere that this was the largest battle to be fought on Irish Soil and was the decisive battle between the Williamites and the Jacobites.

That said I know little about it other than it was won by the Williamites and became obscured historically by the much less important Battle of the Boyne.

How it got obscured was when the gregorian callender was adopted in Britain in 1752 the lore that was built up around the "Glorious Twelfth" got swapped over to the "skirmish" in Co Meath.

Well these are two wiki's but anyway, according to them : The Battle of the Boyne ( BoB ) had 25,000 on James side with 1,500 causalties. 36,000 on Williams with 750 causalities. Aughrim 18,000 on James side with 4,000 killed. 20,000 with William and 3,000 killed. So therefore Aughrim was a much more pivotal battle in the campaign. The "Glorious Twelfth" is probably the biggest myth in Irish history i.e.

* " king Billy 'bait' the Pope at the Boyne " when in fact William was supported by the Pope.

* the campaign brought in " Civil and religious liberty " when in fact it did the exact opposite as the Penal Laws etc were to follow

* the " Glorious revoulotion was bloodless " - need I say any more :rolleyes: :D

* William was little more than a Dutch mercenary who defeated an English king and was also gay, something our unionist friends like to leave out of course ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Aughrim
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Boyne

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I think it might be a mistake to judge one battle more important than the other. And I think the casualty count does not tell us much about the significance of a battle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

I think it might be a mistake to judge one battle more important than the other. And I think the casualty count does not tell us much about the significance of a battle.

Just 90 years after the Flight of the Earls,the Williamite Wars were the pivotal moment when the Anglo Protestant Ascendency took over. The Catholics and Presbyterians got a hard time for the next 100 years.

After Aughrim the Catholic Ascendency was gone, Galway United didn't even show up for their match at home.

Is that the way it was ?

Who were the players on each side and why Aughrim ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

HellsAngel wrote: »
    Well these are two wiki's but anyway, according to them : The Battle of the Boyne ( BoB ) had 25,000 on James side with 1,500 causalties. 36,000 on Williams with 750 causalities. Aughrim 18,000 on James side with 4,000 killed. 20,000 with William and 3,000 killed. So therefore Aughrim was a much more pivotal battle in the campaign. The "Glorious Twelfth" is probably the biggest myth in Irish history i.e.

* " king Billy 'bait' the Pope at the Boyne " when in fact William was supported by the Pope.

* the campaign brought in " Civil and religious liberty " when in fact it did the exact opposite as the Penal Laws etc were to follow

* the " Glorious revoulotion was bloodless " - need I say any more :rolleyes: :D

* William was little more than a Dutch mercenary who defeated an English king and was also gay, something our unionist friends like to leave out of course ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Aughrim
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Boyne

Compared to France and Spain, it was rampant liberalism. France had just declared Protestantism illegal and Spain was still having its inquisition. I'm not sure being gay was a crime then though, is it isn't today so I fail to see the relevance of that.

After Aughrim the Catholic Ascendency was gone, Galway United didn't even show up for their match at home.

Sport is a different thread!!

• Advertisement

Compared to France and Spain, it was rampant liberalism. France had just declared Protestantism illegal and Spain was still having its inquisition. I'm not sure being gay was a crime then though, is it isn't today so I fail to see the relevance of that.

But Ireland wasn't France or Spain, a bit more like Poland to be honest.

A Dutch Prince bankrolled by an Italian Pope has a war with an English King.

I'm sure to Catholics and Dissenter's it was rampant liberalism alright :rolleyes:, not to mention slaves etc on Britsh ships on their way to the Caribbean.

( HA pulls up a seat and opens the pop corn waiting for MarchDub to devour the benign, benevolent British empire theory of Fred's once again !!!! )

( HA pulls up a seat and opens the pop corn waiting for MarchDub to devour the benign, benevolent British empire theory of Fred's once again !!!! )

Do you think Fred will comment on Bishop Berkeley

http://books.google.ie/books?id=if0aAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA237&lpg=PA237&dq=bishop+berkeley+queries+catholicism&source=bl&ots=Kiffz12I5v&sig=r9-QKC3bTtc2YKo6sSnuG9NZX4Y&hl=en&ei=kDiLTqiWMcas8gOU7tzCBA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CCMQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

I'm sure to Catholics and Dissenter's it was rampant liberalism alright :rolleyes:, not to mention slaves etc on Britsh ships on their way to the Caribbean.

I wouldn't expect a bigoted homophobic twat like you to understand liberalism, but in reality, the Battle of the Boyne and the Battle at Aughrim were a mere sideshow in the european wide battle between various religious groups.

If Britain had taken the same approach that France and Spain took, there would be no need for the penal laws as catholics would have been either driven from the country, or slaughtered.

but of course, no one in the world has ever suffered as much as the Irish have......:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Hayes-McCoy is the man for Irish battles - won't be near my copy until the weekend tho'.
    P.

• Advertisement

Thanks Pedro, I would love to know more about the Battle itself.

but of course, no one in the world has ever suffered as much as the Irish have......:rolleyes:

Ireland is not special.

I always like to do a bit of a comparison with other European Countries and the Polish experience is similar to Ireland.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica] [SIZE=+2]1573[/SIZE]
    The Sejm guarantees religious equality. Roman Catholics, Jews, Protestants, Orthodox Christians, and Muslims all live together in Poland in peace.
    [SIZE=+2]1596-1609[/SIZE]
    Poland's capital city is moved from Krakow to Warsaw.
    [SIZE=+2]1655-60 [/SIZE]
    Known as the Deluge, Sweden invades Poland with the help of the Tartars and Cossacks from the East. Poland is virtually destoyed as cities are burned and plundered. A population of 10 million is reduced to 6 million due to the wars, famine, and the bubonic plauge.
    [SIZE=+2]1674-96[/SIZE]
    This period is the reign of Jan III Sobieski, an excellent military commander. Sobieski's forces have many victories over the Turks.
    [SIZE=+2]1700s [/SIZE]
    Poland's three powerful neighbors, Russia, Prussia and Austria, each want to own Poland. This was all but impossible without risking war with each other. They finally settled their dispute by dividing Poland among themselves in a series of agreements called the Three Partitions of Poland.
    [SIZE=+2]1791[/SIZE]
    After the First Partition leads to some reforms, a constitution is passed, called the Constitution of the Third of May. It is the second written document that outlines the responsibilities of the Government (the U.S. Constitution is the first). Catherine the Great of Russia invades Poland to break up the newfound democracy.
    [SIZE=+2]1793[/SIZE]
    During the Second Partition, Russia and Prussia take over half of what was left of Poland.
    [SIZE=+2]1794[/SIZE]
    Tadeusz Kosciuszko, the famous general who helped win the American Revolution, starts a rebellion for Polish independence, but it is not strong enough to defeat the Russians.
    [SIZE=+2]1795[/SIZE]
    The Third Partition divides the rest of Poland. Poland is "officially" non-existent for the next 123 years.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~polwgw/history.html

[/FONT]

OK size wise its different, but its what happens when you are beside powerful neighbours.

Pre and post battle, why Aughrim ?

Who were the personel and what were to local issues and landownership issues that followed on from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

I have a copy of Hayes-McCoy's Irish Battles that Pedro mentioned - and have typed out the following from it it regarding the Battle of Aughrim and the leadership personalities involved:
    Although the distinction between Old Irish and Anglo-Irish had become less noticeable, there were still, following the century’s vast changes in the ownership of Irish land, great prospective differences in the upper stratum of those who supported King James. Although on the material plane, all were insecure, some felt themselves more likely to benefit by negotiation than others. If William should win, all, or almost all, would share the disadvantage of being Catholics. Their only safely in this regard lay in their numbers but uniformity of religion did not mean unity. The English writer Cox …thought that the number of Irish Catholics who were fit for war was not less than 120,000 and that 100,000 of these, who held property worth no more than £5 each and had in effect nothing to lose would ‘endeavour to prolong to war’.

His calculations may have been correct but then as always, it was the big men, and not the little men, who counted. The crowning misfortune of the Jacobites was that they were the victims of a clash of personalities. Tyrconnell, who was James’s viceroy, and who had done so much to build up resistance to William disliked Sarsfield – and Sarsfield disliked Tyrconnell. It was an unpromising situation for the commencement of a campaign.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I'm just wondering why you say that? My understanding of it was that Aughrim was far less important because by the time it happened both James and William had left the country and the focus had moved back to the continent. I thought that the Irish campaign was a sideshow organised by Louis to distract William (leader of the anti French Grand Alliance, which was far from religious) from the fighting on the northern French borders.

Aughrim was a bigger battle alright and much more interesting but I think politically it was more of a mopping up operation from an Alliance viewpoint, there was an army in the west that had to be defeated but didnt pose much of a political threat anymore, on the other side the Irish gentry simply had to keep fighting because William had refused to treat with them.

The Battle:
    Jacobite: Marquis de Ruth. 14,000 foot,2500 horse and 3500 dragoons
    Williamite: Baron de Ginke 1700 horse and foot.

It's a pretty awkward battle to describe due to all the terrain involved, but essentially the Irish deployed in 2 lines with infantry in the centre on a hill defending a ridge and with cavalry along the flanks, defending a bog on the left side and a ford on the right. The Williamites deployed in the same formation, also with a hill in their centre. The Irish strengthened their positions with a lot of defensive works, ditches are what they are referred to.

The Williamite's started by attacking across the ford on their left at 2pm and had some success before moving into stout resistance. This seems to have been a diversionary attack to draw off troops from the centre, at 6pm then the infantry in the Williamite centre advanced across a river between the two hills and attacked the advance Irish foot and pushed them back to their main line, where the Irish repelled the attack and drove the Williamites back across the river, some Irish troops followed the retreating infantry back across the river, apparently prompting St. Ruth to believe the battle was won.
    At this point the Williamite left flank attacked across the bog, which was supposedly secure, and managed to force their way into a dangerous position on the Jacobite left. The Jacobite cavalry on the left refused to act against the Williamites causing St. Ruth to move toward them to lead the cavalry himself, whereupon he was hit by a cannonball and killed instantly. The Jacobite cavalry proceeded to quit the battle (the book I got this account from says the cavalry commader Luttrell, got a pension from William after the war, 'a rare justification for the usual allegations of treachery') allowing the Williamite cavalry to roll up the Irish infantry in the centre, the Williamite infantry counterattacked and theJacobite infantry were pushed back to the top of the hill they had deployed on, here they were more vulnerable to attack and they began to flee and were pursued. 500 officers and 700 infantry were killed along with 450 captured and 9 guns. Williamite casualties were 673 killed and 1071 wounded.

source: Cassell's Battlefields of Britain and Ireland

I'm not sure being gay was a crime then though, is it isn't today so I fail to see the relevance of that.

FYI – it was against the law in England to be homosexual at the time of William’s reign. A law against homosexual acts [or sodomy as it was called] was passed during the reign of Henry VIII. It was called The Buggery Act, 1533. It was punishable by death and confiscation of all property by the Crown. Walter Hungerford was the first to be executed in 1540 under this law for the crime of buggery - although he really was just another victim of Henry’s murderous reign because Hungerford had apparently sided with the Pilgrimage of Grace, the English Catholic armed rebellion against Henry’s religious ‘reforms’.

The death penalty part of the law was lifted only in 1861 when prison terms were introduced. But this was followed by The Criminal Law Amendment Act in 1885 a stricter law that actually criminalized private homosexual acts referred to as 'gross indecency'. This was the law that sent Oscar Wilde to gaol for two years hard labour, solitary confinement.

MarchDub wrote: »
    FYI – it was against the law in England to be homosexual at the time of William’s reign. A law against homosexual acts [or sodomy as it was called] was passed during the reign of Henry VIII. It was called The Buggery Act, 1533. It was punishable by death and confiscation of all property by the Crown. Walter Hungerford was the first to be executed in 1540 under this law for the crime of buggery - although he really was just another victim of Henry’s murderous reign because Hungerford had apparently sided with the Pilgrimage of Grace, the English Catholic armed rebellion against Henry’s religious ‘reforms’.

The death penalty part of the law was lifted only in 1861 when prison terms were introduced. But this was followed by The Criminal Law Amendment Act in 1885 a stricter law that actually criminalized private homosexual acts referred to as 'gross indecency'. This was the law that sent Oscar Wilde to gaol for two years hard labour, solitary confinement.

I suspected it was, bit I'm not sure what relevance it has, it does though show that as the 12th is the loyalist/Orange carnival day, Irish republicans will resort to anything to discredit it.

As ably demonstrated by our Angelic friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Infraction for breaching peace. I interpret this comment as taunting Fred in the hope that he will respond.
    I wouldn't expect a bigoted homophobic twat like you to understand liberalism, but in reality, the Battle of the Boyne and the Battle at Aughrim were a mere sideshow in the european wide battle between various religious groups.
    Infraction for breaching peace. You cannot respond like this and expect to stay on forum.

Both users have been previously contacted about the nature of posts and should understand what is allowed and not allowed. As warnings have not worked I may try short bans next time in the hope that they will be more effective. You both make worthwhile contributions on the forum IMO so stick to doing this in future.

Moderator.

I suspected it was, bit I'm not sure what relevance it has, it does though show that as the 12th is the loyalist/Orange carnival day, Irish republicans will resort to anything to discredit it.

The history of the 12th July in NI - and prior to it being NI - clearly reveals that it has at times been considerably more malicious than a benign 'carnival day'.

*Reaches for anglo-irish agreement*
    The history of the 12th July in NI - and prior to it being NI - clearly reveals that it has at times been considerably more malicious than a benign 'carnival day'.

Ah yes, the Glorious 22nd :pac:

I know, but let's not go there.

I know, but let's not go there.

Eer :confused: - Fred, I think you were doing the driving when we went down that road.

But brakes on now.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

The significance of the battle of Aughrim was that it smashed the Jacobites West of the Shannon and gave control of the west of Ireland to the Williamites.
    They battle of Aughrim was the immediate sequel to the Siege of Athlone.
    In 1691 Athlone was the most important strategic point in the two islands. No King of Britain could rest easy with hostile forces West of the Shannon. There were very few locations at which the Shannon could be crossed. These were relatively easily defended since they consisted of bridges.
    A hostile force in the West could break out and cause trouble at any time thus tying up large numbers of troops to secure the East of the country.
    The Siege of Athlone lasted almost two weeks. It was the largest cannon barrage in history up to that time. When the Williamites succeeded in getting across, massive celebrations ensued. They now controlled the bridge of Athlone and had a supply line back to Dublin. Cannon were fired in Holland in celebration. General Ginkell, the Dutch commander, was created Earl of Athlone. The Jacobites retreated to Aughrim and were followed by the Williamites. More troops actually engaged in this battle than any of the other battles of this war. There were massive numbers killed. After the follow up battle in Limerick, the Jacobites had ceased to be a force of any consequence West of the Shannon.
    Permanent military installations were constructed West of the Shannon in Athlone in the years after the siege. These remained militarily significant up to the First World War.

If Britain had taken the same approach that France and Spain took, there would be no need for the penal laws as catholics would have been either driven from the country, or slaughtered.

No one in the world has ever tried to hype themselves up with the conceited lies that they alone defeated Germany in WW2 than the Brits :D !!!! And don't forget how they alone also defeated the Japanese !!!!

One of the things about the Brits is that they like to mouth off that no army has invaded Britain since the Normans in 1066 ( but they like to pride themselves on invading everyone else country :D But that's the Brits for you, they just LOVE themselves :rolleyes:). When in fact the Dutch gay mercenary William of Orange invaded Britain in 1688.

But that's the Brits for you, they just LOVE themselves :rolleyes:). When in fact the Dutch gay mercenary William of Orange invaded Britain in 1688.

Ban for ignoring warning. Come back in a few days.
    Any response to your post by other users will also risk ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Irrelevances aside this thread is great guys. Fair play to yiz!

I think that to say Ireland had the Spanish or French variety of Catholicism at that time , as Fred hs implied, is not sustainable.

In England you had a Civil war but Ireland's situation was not clear cut.

William was considered a modern liberal prince in Europe but that may not have translated to his treatment of the Irish Catholics in Ireland or the Ulster Presbyterians either. Thats why the composition of the Armies is important to me as to who acquired land post Aughrim and why.

As to Williams sexual orientation. It is not of any consequence though he made one of his alledged lovers Earl of Athlone and had to reverse a land grant.

Rumours were rife in the UK.

So a bit about King William ;

[SIZE=+1][/SIZE]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=+1]William III, Prince of Orange, King of England (1650-1702) [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT] [FONT=Trebuchet MS,Trebuchet,Times,Times New Roman,serif] [/FONT]
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS,Trebuchet,Times,Times New Roman,serif]Speculations about William III's sexuality have been countered by his English and American biographers, who have been unwilling to entertain the idea that a man of his nobility of character and special historical significance could have loved other men. Dutch writers on the other hand have been much more willing to accept the evidence that William was, indeed, bisexual. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS,Trebuchet,Times,Times New Roman,serif] William was born at the Hague in 1650, the posthumous son of William II, who died a few days before he was born, and Mary Stuart, daughter of the late King Charles I of England, who had been deposed by English Parliamentarians. William was thus an important figure in European politics from the day of his birth, since he not only inherited his Dutch titles, but was fourth in line to inherit the British throne should it be restored.
    Sponsor Message.
    adlog.php?bannerid=238&clientid=272&zoneid=26&source=&block=0&capping=0&cb=05d25e712c7dde229320afc6cdde9572
    His claim to the British throne was reinforced in 1677, when he married the daughter of James, Duke of York, who was to succeed to the British monarchy in 1685.
    William III acceded to the British throne when the English ousted James II in the "Glorious Revolution" of 1688. He and his wife, Mary II, ruled together until her death in 1694. After her death, he ruled alone until he died in 1702. The couple was childless, so he was succeeded by Mary's sister Anne.
    As "stadholder" (military commander) of the Dutch Republic, William had opposed the aggressions of Louis XIV that threatened the Netherlands and neighboring states. For this he was hailed by the Dutch as the "Redeemer of the Fatherland."
    When he brought England into the coalition against France he became the acknowledged champion of Protestant Europe. It is this preeminence as an international hero that has made it hard for Anglophone admirers to candidly assess William's sexual orientation.
    William had close and affectionate relations with two notable favorites, William Bentinck, whom he brought to England and made Earl of Portland, and a handsome younger Dutchman, Arnold van Keppel, whom he created Earl of Albemarle.
    A spate of political satires accusing William of intimate relations with both men circulated during his reign. These scurrilous poems are quite explicit in their allegations, and are obviously the work of Tory partisans who favored James. For this reason they have been discounted by William's defenders.
    One satire begins: "For the case, Sir, is such, / That the people think much, / That your love is Italian, your government Dutch. / Ah! Who would have thought that a Low-Country Stallion, / and a Protestant Prince should prove an Italian?" (Italy was the country most notably associated with sodomy in the seventeenth century.) Jonathan Swift also referred to William's "infamous pleasures" with Keppel in a manuscript note. All this has, however, been dismissed as the malicious gossip of Tory enemies.
    Nevertheless, rumors were also rife among those favorable to the king. These include the redoubtable "Madame," Duchess of Orléans, who was married to France's most flamboyantly conspicuous homosexual, "Monsieur," and whose correspondence makes up a veritable encyclopedia of homosexuality in that country and England. Her letters are admiring of the king but speak repeatedly of "men who share King William's inclinations."
    Rumors also circulated in the Dutch army, which was fanatically loyal to the house of Orange.
    Most telling, however, are the remarks of Bishop Gilbert Burnet, who praised William unstintingly as "a person raised up by God to resist the power of France and the progress of tyranny and persecution." Yet in considering matters that might make it difficult for William to assume the English throne, Burnet refers to one "particular . . . too tender to be put in writing," which under the circumstances can only be interpreted as a reference to William's sexual nature.
    To nineteenth-century liberal historians such as Thomas Macaulay, William III ranked as one of England's greatest kings for his fostering of religious and political liberty and for his leadership of the European nations who fought Louis XIV.

http://www.glbtq.com/social-sciences/william_III.html

[/FONT]

The Keppels are still around and one Duchess of Cornwall is descended from a Keppel who was a royal mistress.

I think that to say Ireland had the Spanish or French variety of Catholicism at that time , as Fred hs implied, is not sustainable.

In England you had a Civil war but Ireland's situation was not clear cut.

That wasn't what I meant to imply.

In several european countries, Calvanists, Lutherans and Hugenots were fleeing from their homes. Most, if not all were heading to Holland or England and this must have influenced politics in those countries.

HA claimed that the 12th didn't lead to religious freedom as it was proclaimed (which it didn't), but compared to what was going on in Spain and France at the time it was relatively liberal.

In several european countries, Calvanists, Lutherans and Hugenots were fleeing from their homes. Most, if not all were heading to Holland or England and this must have influenced politics in those countries.

HA claimed that the 12th didn't lead to religious freedom as it was proclaimed (which it didn't), but compared to what was going on in Spain and France at the time it was relatively liberal.

That is purely your opinion and you have not supplied any source material to support it.

As CDfm has pointed out the situation in Ireland was different from France and Spain in that in Ireland the vast majority of citizens were targeted - not a smaller manageable group who would be likely to flee. The English authorities were therefore left with the problem of a majority population that they wanted to exclude from economic and political life. Hence the Penal Laws.

Let me give you some Irish sources however, - An Act to Prevent the Further Growth of Popery of 1703 was anything but a 'liberal' document. It not only was directed at Catholicism as a religion but also at the economic standing of Catholics in society and their participation in politics. Catholics essentially ceased to exist as citizens. The various Oaths - Abjuration, Against Transubstantiation etc. - that were introduced to prevent Catholic participation in political life were not 'liberal' thinking.

Just one clip regarding the prevention of Catholics participating in the law profession:
    No attorney, six-clerk, solicitor, or officer shall take any papist or reputed papist to be his apprentice or clerk, or knowingly permit any popish solicitor, agent, or manager to search records, pleadings, etc. or otherwise practise as such, upon pain of 50 pounds for each such offence,
    And that preventing Catholics from getting an education, even going abroad for same:
    Sec. 2. Where any judge or two justices of the peace shall have reasonable cause to suspect that any child has been sent abroad, they shall convene the father, mother, or guardian, and shall require them to produce the child within two months. If such persons shall not produce the child without good reasons, or prove that the child resides elsewhere in her Majesty's dominions, such child shall be deemed educated in foreign parts and shall incur all the penalties established for the same.
    The more egregious laws prevented Catholics from owing land, sitting in Parliament - even eventually in 1728, from voting.

English history was greatly influenced by the Whig version of events and they put forward the erroneous notion that the events of 1688 led to an enlightened society 'destined' to be world leaders [destiny was a big word for them] - therefore the acquisition of Empire was justified under this false theory. As HellsAngel pointed out even the idea of a 'bloodless' coup is patent nonsense given the Irish battles, and so are many of the other claims of introducing 'liberal' policies.

It is off topic

And, of course, it remains to be seen if Ireland had been a religiously tolerant society. So should not be compared to Europe but to what went before.

I have often wondered if the Irish religion issue is best described as a "socio-political construct".Cmon Nietzsche ,ya boyo.

Presbyterians were also treated differently and Aughrim is very much a west of the Shannon/Connaught affair.

The Scotch Irish/Presbyterians did not really arrive on their holidays and decide they wanted to stay, you had a little matter of Highland clearences too.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~pictou/clearncs.htm

I think we should keep Aughrim local to Connaught unless we can place Scotch Irish in the locale.

Like even the Knights of Glin converted around this time.

So why not look at pre and post Aughrim landownership and occupation.

Bannasidhe, where are you when we need you.

That is purely your opinion and you have not supplied any source material to support it.

As CDfm has pointed out the situation in Ireland was different from France and Spain in that in Ireland the vast majority of citizens were targeted - not a smaller manageable group who would be likely to flee. The English authorities were therefore left with the problem of a majority population that they wanted to exclude from economic and political life. Hence the Penal Laws.

Let me give you some Irish sources however, - An Act to Prevent the Further Growth of Popery of 1703 was anything but a 'liberal' document. It not only was directed at Catholicism as a religion but also at the economic standing of Catholics in society and their participation in politics.
    English history was greatly influenced by the Whig version of events and they put forward the erroneous notion that the events of 1688 led to an enlightened society 'destined' to be world leaders [destiny was a big word for them] - therefore the acquisition of Empire was justified under this false theory. As HellsAngel pointed out even the idea of a 'bloodless' coup is patent nonsense given the Irish battles, and so are many of the other claims of introducing 'liberal' policies.

Yes, I think all that is pretty well general knowledge. For sources, I was thinking of the Edict of Fontainebleau, which revoked the Edict of Nantes and made protestantism illegal in France, this was accompanied by the King's instruction to destroy Huegunot churches.

For Spain, I was thinking of the Inquisition, which probably needs no explanation.

I believe there were several Huguenot regiments at Aughrim and the Boyne, for these guys they were fighting for religious tolerance as victory would allow them to practice their particular flavour of religion.

Tolerance and liberty are of course relevant only to those spouting the words. I'm pretty sure George Washington's slaves were somewhat bemused by declarations of freedom post 1783...

• Advertisement

As a slight tangent there was a piece on the news at one today. The owner of an original copy of a newspaper from 1691 containing a report on the battle of Aughrim was interviewed. He is donating the original copy to UCG. It was a London paper and he said the account was relatively accurate, i.e. unbiased rather than a crown report.

Advertisement