Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Secret Millionaire, 3rd October

Options
  • 03-10-2011 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,274 ✭✭✭✭

Did anyone watch tonights one? Really enjoyed it cos it was in Cork City - my home town :-P the guy he gave the 30k to lives really near me :-) thought he was really deserving of it and the young people were lovely too.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭V480

Didn't see it but heard alot of people giving out about it. Apparently Cork didn't come out of it looking too well. Seems there is more to Cork than the English Market and the Tyndall!

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

Did he give any money to The Penny Dinners people ? I think he didnt. Why put them on the show and them deem them not worthy? Huge respect to them and The Rebel Wheelers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

It's a shame that the serious is over.Your man from Galway was my favourite of out of the three millionaires and i also really enjoyed the Dundalk epsiode.That young fella really changed my view's about the travelling community he seemed like a decent lad and i hope that he can stay on the right path.The fella last night though was my least favourite and to be honest i thought RTE tried there best to find fault's with Cork.Apparently Shandon Street is a deprived area.It ll be the only 'deprived' area on that show with a cathedral, an award winning tourist attraction in the bells, a museum, a theatre and a 'live in' artist residency.Typical RTE trying to find something wrong with Cork and failing.Apparently the rich lord was scared because of the tension on the street's.How would he have managed in Knocka during the middle of the Bonna night celebrations or on Sherrif Street?

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

V480 wrote: »
    Didn't see it but heard alot of people giving out about it. Apparently Cork didn't come out of it looking too well. Seems there is more to Cork than the English Market and the Tyndall!

Every city has it's bad area's.You're man would have ****ted himself big time if he was in Sherrif Street or Dolphins Barn.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 14,274 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

V480 wrote: »

Had to laugh at that - Shandon Street is hardly Compton although having said that don't think I'd feel too comfortable venturing up there on my own at night....:p

I actually thought Cork came off a lot better than the other places that were on the series - West Dublin looked a hell of a lot more dangerous than Cork to be honest.

In answer to the other poster re giving money to Penny Dinners - no he didn't give any to them but like they've been around for 150 years and still going strong - I reckon they have pretty good support.

Was really delighted for Bob Seaward - great man.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Last night was the only episode I watched. I thought the millionaire came across pretty well & seemed like a nice person.

I don't think it's possible that the whole of Cork could come out of it looking bad, if that is what people were complaining about. It was only a small area that was shown & I think most people would know that doesn't represent every part of Cork.

Also, I don't think RTE tried to make it look worse than it is at all. Did they hire actors to act drunk and shout & scream in the middle of the street? Doubt it. Did they dump rubbish in Knocknaheeny & board up a load of houses to make the place look run down? Doubt it. They just filmed what they saw. If anything, by showing good sides of the area that many people wouldn't know about, they may have made the area look better than some people might have thought.
    Apparently the rich lord was scared because of the tension on the street's.How would he have managed in Knocka during the middle of the Bonna night celebrations or on Sherrif Street?

I think it's the people acting like scumbags that should be condemned rather than someone feeling a bit uncomfortable around that behaviour. He wouldn't be used to that kind of situation so it was understandable imo.

By Bonna night celebrations do you mean people kicking the s*** of out each other?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 StJohns

Cork looked great to me with all the hills and the shots of the rooftops. I watched it again today for a bit at work on the RTEplayer and the music was great too. what I ddint get was why the woman from the diners didn't make a bigger deal of the place. surely they have loads of ordinary guys jsut out on thier luck? the Bobby Sands t-shirt caught my eye. I thought the guy himself came over as honest and decent. He was straight with everyone and didnt seem to looking to make a lot of himself in the show. it was more like he was having a fight with his consciience or something. As I see it if you put yourself out of your comfort for a week or whatver it is and you pound the streets looking for good things to do AND give away your money then fair play we sholdnt be sticking holes in you. I liked the man and we cold do with more people around that give a damn like he did. Great seris but will they ever get away with trying to make more of them? we'll all be too cute for them and thier cameras!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,060 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

One of the secret millionaire's plans must have gone pear-shaped.:(

After a €9 million transformation, a Mayo island, which belonged to businessman Nadim Sadek, is being sold by the receivers
    WITH THE chill winds of recession sweeping across the land, who wouldn’t like an island of their own as a safe haven from the woes of the world? Well one of the myriad islands in Clew Bay, Co Mayo, is up for sale. It’s called Inish Turk Beg (to distinguish it from the bigger Inish Turk further out in the Atlantic) and the asking price is €2.85 million.
    The sale of the island is being conducted jointly by Knight Frank and Sherry FitzGerald in association with Christie’s International Real Estate.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/property/2012/0726/1224320817003.html?via=mr

Advertisement