Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment- The Waiting to Apply Room

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

WilcoOut wrote: »

in my opinion, a much cheaper option available to the dept of justice is to promote reserve gardai and put em through the college
    they would have to go through same training in place, so it makes no difference if ur a reserve or not, unless u change the training which is not worth doing for 500 or so reserves.!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭C-J

Well said kopend, they'd have to go through the same training, not 'okay lads sure we'll skip a couple of chapters to save time and money'. To think otherwise is ridiculous!! The costs of training would be the same whether youre a rocket scientist or have scraped your leaving cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hill St Blue

C-J wrote: »
    Well said kopend, they'd have to go through the same training, not 'okay lads sure we'll skip a couple of chapters to save time and money'. To think otherwise is ridiculous!! The costs of training would be the same whether youre a rocket scientist or have scraped your leaving cert.

Yeah, you're right CJ, the training would cost the same regardless, but by recruiting internally, they would save a lot of money on staging a public recruitment campaign that would attract tens of thousands of applicants (obviously there would have to be the same aptitude test for GR's who would be eligible to apply for the full time, but the number of applicants would be far smaller and full background checks, medicals and interviews have already been done for anyone who is in the GR.) I'm told a few Police Forces (inc The Met in London) have gone down this recruitment route. Anyhoo, since there's no word of this happening here, it's just idle speculation, but there's no doubt that a few bob would be saved this way.

I'm talking about those on the panel who have everything completed, the only extra cost will be to do physicals as we have been told by the minister a doctors letter will suffice in most cases. So there will be minimum costs involved here, less in fact than recruiting reserves who will have to undergo more rigorous background checks than those previously done, physicals and medicals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 P.O.S

When there is a new recruitment campaign,everyone that meets the requirements will be able to apply reserve or not.even if they only were to recruit from reserves in future there will be 1300 of them maybe next year...they wont even recruit near 1300 on top of the panel in the next 10-15 years!!!
    that's been realistic not negative..I like everyone here wishes that there will be a new campaign asap

just thinking about it there, i would think that if all/most of the reserves were to become full time would that not contradict the point of the reserves. the idea was to save money as they are not paid, but if money is spent to train them up then 1-5 years later they join full time and then have to be paid anyway. so that raises the question is it worth spending all the money to train them up if they only last a few years as a reserve, if majority leave and have to be replaced by training more reserves who could then do the same thing again. thats called a money pit folks.

ideally the idea was to save money by training them up and then getting years of free service from them witch pays in the long run, but if there not in it for the long run it dont pay. thats why recruiting reserves above everyone else is pointless and stupid, the last thing they want is everyone in the reserve to walk into full time. "come on in lads we spent millions on ye for a few years but ye were worth it" i dont think so.
    might as well train and pay full time gardai if thats the case

not a dig on any of the reserves but it has to be seen from this point of view too.

I'm talking about those on the panel who have everything completed, the only extra cost will be to do physicals as we have been told by the minister a doctors letter will suffice in most cases. So there will be minimum costs involved here, less in fact than recruiting reserves who will have to undergo more rigorous background checks than those previously done, physicals and medicals.

Ah yeah, CJ, that goes without saying...those already on the panel (who are already in line to go into T'more next) will only need (maybe) to re-do physicals / medicals. Since these folks were part of the last recruitment campaign costs, and the money has essentially been spent on getting them this far in the process, and they're next on the list.
    What I'm talking about, is an option to save money on the next new recruitment campaign (once more, what I'm saying is a purely hypothetical scenario, but just throwing it into the mix for discussion purposes!)
    As an aside by the way (not being picky...just a point of order) there are no such things as 'more rigorous background checks' for full timers as opposed to Reserves. The background checks completed are exactly the same (which in fairness makes sense...you can't have half, or 75% vetted people in uniform!)

thekopend wrote: »
    just thinking about it there, i would think that if all/most of the reserves were to become full time would that not contradict the point of the reserves. the idea was to save money as they are not paid, but if money is spent to train them up then 1-5 years later they join full time and then have to be paid anyway. so that raises the question is it worth spending all the money to train them up if they only last a few years as a reserve, if majority leave and have to be replaced by training more reserves who could then do the same thing again. thats called a money pit folks.

ideally the idea was to save money by training them up and then getting years of free service from them witch pays in the long run, but if there not in it for the long run it dont pay. thats why recruiting reserves above everyone else is pointless and stupid, the last thing they want is everyone in the reserve to walk into full time. "come on in lads we spent millions on ye for a few years but ye were worth it" i dont think so.
    might as well train and pay full time gardai if thats the case

not a dig on any of the reserves but it has to be seen from this point of view too.

Fair point thekopend, but in reality there will always be folk leaving the Reserves to join the full time, so there'll always be an ebb and flow of numbers leaving who are replaced by fresh Reserves...that's the transient nature of having a Reserve I guess. I don't see it as a money pit or anything, because the State still gets value for money on it's investment, and the amount of man hours returned by Reserves outweighs costs (almost free labour if you will!) From a cold hard business point of view, that certantly makes the Reserve concept worth it.
    Sometimes people seem to forget that a huge percentage of Reserves are waiting to become full-time Gardai, meet all the elegibility requirements and will be applying throughout future campaigns. They join the Reserves in order to gain an insight into the workings of AGS, to see if it suits them as a future career or for purely altruistic reasons (everyone would have their own combonation of reasons I guess.) When the Reserves eventually meet their 10% quota of 1300, it's not as if those 1300 will always remain Reserves because 'x' amount of money has been spent on them...some will remain Reserves, some will become full time Gardai and some will simply retire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

More rigourous background checks? Reserves are members of An Garda Siochana and must meet the same security requirements.

Anyone waiting to apply should apply for the Reserves first to see if the Gardai actually suits them or if it is what they expected imo. In the future, recruiting Reserves in an accelerated process would be a very good idea for the following reasons:

1. No need to re-do ASP, Tetra, Pepper Spray courses

2. Reserves are familiar with the job, something most applicants are not. Reserves will know themselves if the job is for them or not, whereas others may not like it after they realise it's not like what most people think. This would mean they would be less likely to drop out during training or after graduation, after the Govt having spent tens of thousands of euro on their training.

3. No need to issue new uniform as Reserves already have full issue; only change required is reg no. and shoulder no. when attested.

4. No need to do aptitude tests; a letter from his/her unit Sgt and Inspector would suffice, either recommending or not recommending them for the role of Garda. i.e. they have either shown or not shown the aptitude to do the job

The Met in London are going down the route of recruiting solely from their PCSO's and Special Constables. Their next campaign will be 50% in house recruited, 50% public. After that it is 100% internal. IMO this is the way it should be over here for next campaign; 500 places to be filled over 2-3 years filled by 250 former Reserves and 250 from the public. Reserve recruitment hasn't stopped so those who apply for role of Garda would be easily replaced.

But this is just my view, and is why I think anyone waiting to apply should join the Reserves first. Mandatory service as a GR would cut down the numbers of trainee Gardai who drop out during training or after Graduation.

• Advertisement

tweedledee wrote: »
    To join fulltime service there are educational requirements. To join the reserves the requirements are a lot lower, thats all I meant.

In fairness, this is the waiting to apply thread. There is already a thread for 'advantges/disadvantages of joining Reserve before Full Time AGS' so I'd be happy to answer if you post in there.

If not, Geri Boyle might be around with her spanking stick! (She doesn't need an excuse to use it;):D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

eroo wrote: »
    In fairness, this is the waiting to apply thread. There is already a thread for 'advantges/disadvantages of joining Reserve before Full Time AGS' so I'd be happy to answer if you post in there.

If not, Geri Boyle might be around with her spanking stick! (She doesn't need an excuse to use it;):D)

surprised it's gone on this long to be honest eroo. People could also take it to the actual Garda Reserve forum if they wanted to educate themselves, but why do that when they can take easy cheap swipes at the Garda Reserve process in here :rolleyes:

The next 4 weeks will be interesting with the Govt's 4 year plan announced and the Budget next month. We should get a clear picture of where the Govt stands with regard to recruitment.

They can't just wait for numbers to decrease gradually; after all they criticised the last crowd for doing just that i.e. no plan. I expect, and hope, Shatter will put some plan in place rather than continuing his practice of p1ssing in the wind.

Unfortunately Eroo, I dont think budget day will tell us much regarding recruitment.We'll know if cigarettes go up,social welfare decreases etc but it won't specify if money is allocated for garda recruitment imo.Each department will be allocated a budget,they already know what their budget is.
    In June shatter mentioned prospect/hope of class starting next year but no mention of a campaign.

Budget day will only tell us the entire garda budget for the year, however by comparing and contrasting with last years budget figures a picture should be easily established, however bear in mind the bills from the queen and obama! However, at the end of this month we'll have clarification of the figures to go before pension levy. And i don't know if anybody heard pat spillane on late late but he said he left it to the last minute to jump ship from his principals role so he could get every cent he could.

Well I think things will actually be clear by Budget time. If the budget for AGS is given a boost, and they don't have to foot the security bill, then things will look good for us as a recruitment campaign could be funded. Either way we will still be waiting to apply next year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 tubes46

since when did having a junior cert become part of selection process for the GR???

as i have said before recruitment is the last thing on their mind for budget day. all they are worried about is cutting gardai fast enough(why or how would recruitment of gardai be on their mind in this case) all they are producing is bad reasons on why they dont need to recruit gardai. anyone who thinks recruitment of gardai, or "where we stand" will be mentioned/clarified come budget day is completely delusional, mark my words!

under our rulers, eu/imf, gardai are to be cut to 1300. weather or not there is money to recruit before this its not going to happen. its not all about having money to recruit gardai its about paying them too (the reason it was agreed to cut them was to cut public expenditure) so unless there is big changes with imf deal nothing wil happen for a good while, this needs to be accepted. retirements is what we need to hope for, nothing else, that will get the ball rolling, budget day = blue prints on how to suck 3.8 billion euro from ireland , nothing else!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭Loopie

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/just-14-gardai-on-duty-during-night-of-attacks-2927107.html

More info regarding the issue of paying Gardai (in this case overtime)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

This is the Waiting to Apply room, please keep conversation relevant to the thread.

Looks like 200+ rural stations may be closing soon.

http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/government-planning-to-close-200-rural-garda-stations-527294.html

This can only be good news for our hopes that pressure will intensify on the Govt to maintain numbers. Local councils, policing commitee's and community groups nationwide will be crying out to have their station kept. Add to the closures the fact there are/will be less Gardai, people will soon start realise that scary times are ahead for rural victims of crime.

• Advertisement

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/just-14-gardai-on-duty-during-night-of-attacks-2927107.html

The above article is another example of what these cuts are doing to AGS. Sad thing is people don't realise most city stations around the country would rarely have more than that many members on duty anymore. Even less would be on patrol duties.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

The above article is another example of what these cuts are doing to AGS. Sad thing is people don't realise most city stations around the country would rarely have more than that many members on duty anymore. Even less would be on patrol duties.
    Jesus, when you read reports like that it makes you think really hard about maybe joining up in a jurisdiction where people who assault/attack emergency services are actually punished instead of getting a slap on the wrist by the judge. Ireland badly needs more prisons

P.O.S wrote: »

"Speaking to the Sunday Independent, Mr Shatter said: "I don't have the commissioner's report yet. But I think there is an inevitability that there's going to be some changes to ensure that we don't waste resources and that there's greater effectiveness." ...
    ""And I think that he is also looking at some of the very small rural stations where instead of having gardai pinned down to keep a two-person station open, they would be better in a patrol car without having to just man a station that gets very little footfall. So there are areas like this that are being looked at because I can't pretend to have resources." ...
    "Officially, the Garda Representative Association, with its 12,000 members of garda rank, is opposed to station closures, but GRA sources have indicated that now may well be the time to finally address the issue."

Does anyone know when that report is due back to the Minister?

End of this month I think. Shift pattern will be changing nationwide. The new template is much more 'user friendly'.

End of this month I think. Shift pattern will be changing nationwide. The new template is much more 'user friendly'.

yeah I've seen the new roster, not sure about it being 'user friendly' though, only the full-timers will know the answer to that one though :)

I don't know Kerry when report is due back to Minister but I suspect he already has a fair idea of its content.

I don't know Kerry when report is due back to Minister but I suspect he already has a fair idea of its content.

yeah I would say so P.O.S.

Thanks though.

Will all this market uncertainty,will the euro collapse etc I think its getting harder to even have an eduacted guess as to when recruitment will start for us again..others say we are completely funded till 2014....hard to know:mad:

2 males shot in Town Park area of Templemore last night.. Don't think the gougers would have been so confident of doing it 4 years ago when there was 400+ members in the Garda College down the road!

• Advertisement

In preparation for the December budget, the Cabinet yesterday devoted a special meeting to discuss Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform Brendan Howlin’s wide-ranging proposals for reform in the public service.

It is understood that discussion during the seven-hour meeting focused on proposals to reduce the number of State agencies and quangos. Early plans suggested some 102 bodies should be axed or merged, but the number has since been reduced to under 50.

Mr Howlin is also expected to outline his proposals for reduction in public sector numbers on Thursday. One measure is expected to set new levels of annual leave for all existing staff across the public service, ranging from a minimum of 22 days and a maximum of 32.

Mr Howlin is also expected to outline his proposals for reduction in public sector numbers on Thursday. The Government’s target of reducing numbers to 302,000 for 2011 will be easily surpassed, a Government source said yesterday. A year-by-year timeline of reducing numbers by as many as 25,000 by 2015 will also be disclosed, as will details of the strategy for reforming shared services, e-Government; procurement and expenditure reform.

The new measures on holidays being proposed by Mr Howlin’s department will see some staff gain additional days off, many more could lose out. Sources suggested that staff who lose leave arrangements under the plan may be offered a one-off compensation arrangement. This could possibly be 1½ times the level of leave lost.

In preparation for the December budget, the Cabinet yesterday devoted a special meeting to discuss Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform Brendan Howlin’s wide-ranging proposals for reform in the public service.

It is understood that discussion during the seven-hour meeting focused on proposals to reduce the number of State agencies and quangos. Early plans suggested some 102 bodies should be axed or merged, but the number has since been reduced to under 50.

Mr Howlin is also expected to outline his proposals for reduction in public sector numbers on Thursday. One measure is expected to set new levels of annual leave for all existing staff across the public service, ranging from a minimum of 22 days and a maximum of 32.

Mr Howlin is also expected to outline his proposals for reduction in public sector numbers on Thursday. The Government’s target of reducing numbers to 302,000 for 2011 will be easily surpassed, a Government source said yesterday. A year-by-year timeline of reducing numbers by as many as 25,000 by 2015 will also be disclosed, as will details of the strategy for reforming shared services, e-Government; procurement and expenditure reform.

The new measures on holidays being proposed by Mr Howlin’s department will see some staff gain additional days off, many more could lose out. Sources suggested that staff who lose leave arrangements under the plan may be offered a one-off compensation arrangement. This could possibly be 1½ times the level of leave lost.

I am guessing you should be aware of this already, and I am surprised you have left it out, but where is your link outlining this info?

kerry4sam wrote: »
    I am guessing you should be aware of this already, and I am surprised you have left it out, but where is your link outlining this info?

Irish Times website
    Its nothing new though reduction of 25,000 in Programme for Govt ,dont think we'll know anymore Thursday re garda recruitment.

Irish Times website
    Its nothing new though reduction of 25,000 in Programme for Govt ,dont think we'll know anymore Thursday re garda recruitment.

nice editing. Cheers for stating your source for that piece though. People normally include their source with their original quote though.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭shanehillview

Judging on the below stories being reported in Waterford, I wouldn't hold out much hope of recruitment. The Chief Super of the Waterford division has to cut his spending by roughly 10% for the next 3 years, is losing 6 officers including a Super and all this roughly about a week after he announced he suspected the recent upturn in armed petrol station robberies is heroin related.

Hopefully not seeing a return to the recession hit 80's, but I'm sure this is a situation that is being repeated in divisions across the state.

Garda management in Waterford recommend no barracks be closed in the county.

Garda management in Waterford have recommended that no barracks be closed in the county.Garda Chief Superintendent Pat Murphy briefed Waterford County Council yesterday following growing concerns at what impact cuts will have on policing in the county.He confirmed that they will have to make cuts of about ten percent for the next three years. He also said that a Superintendent, a Sergeant and six other personnel will retire from the Dungarvan and Tramore areas early next year.However Chief Superintendent Murphy says he doesn't want any stations to close

http://www.wlrfm.com/news-and-sport/waterford-news/134903-garda-management-in-waterford-recommend-no-barracks-be-closed-in-the-county.html

Waterford Gardai suspect heroin is behind the increase in numbers of robberies in the city this year.

Provisional figures for 2011 show that most drug seizures in Waterford continue to be for cannabis but heroin represents about 10% of the total for the year so far.Robberies represent a different crime from burglaries in that there must also be a threat to the person.Chief Superintendent Pat Murphy believes many robberies are related to heroinand says particular businesses are being targetted

http://www.wlrfm.com/news-and-sport/waterford-news/134582-waterford-gardai-suspect-heroin-is-behind-the-increase-in-numbers-of-robberies-in-the-city-this-year.html

I'm confused and don't see your point in your duplicate post, it has absolutely nothing in it that holds out no hope for recruitment? Losing officers through natural retirement wastage, an increase in crime and calls for no station to be closed, i fail to see your point. Enlighten me!

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

Can anyone suggest any foreign forces excl PSNI that may be recruiting? Unfortunately the UK (mainland) are cutting numbers also.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭shanehillview

I'm confused and don't see your point in your duplicate post, it has absolutely nothing in it that holds out no hope for recruitment? Losing officers through natural retirement wastage, an increase in crime and calls for no station to be closed, i fail to see your point. Enlighten me!

Hi C-J

My point is that, despite the increase in crime, budgets are being cut, and officers are departing. If budgets are being cut, where is the money to replace them. Officer leaves, budget is cut, where is the money to pay for new officers???

The Government has today confirmed that it plans to reduce the number of workers in the public service by a further 23,500 between now and 2015.

If that goal is achieved, the public-sector pay bill will have been reduced by 15% since 2008.

A major review of quangos is also underway, with 48 facing rationalisation this year, and a further 46 being reviewed next year.

The decentralisation programme announced in 2003 has officially been cancelled, although 32 projects already in place will be left untouched.

Unions have been sent proposals on the standardisation of annual leave, and historical local arrangements like festivals and race days are to be abolished.

Read more: http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/government-confirms-plans-for-public-sector-cuts-528679.html#ixzz1dybZ2Z00

If the Govt break this 23,500 down to see what areas will be cut by 2015, we might get a better idea where we stand. The Govt may, and should, pull back on reducing Garda numbers and instead reduce administration numbers. This could happen seeing as the Govt will be lucky to get AGS down to 13,000 by 2014. However, it probably wont happen with this Govt!

• Advertisement

143 ministerial drivers and advisers have been appointed since March, all well paid. Yet they are still cutting Garda numbers while essentially increasing Govt staff. Not surprised!!

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/public-service-staff-to-be-cut-by-18000-over-the-next-four-years-2937541.html

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Dan1994

143 ministerial drivers and advisers have been appointed since March, all well paid. Yet they are still cutting Garda numbers while essentially increasing Govt staff. Not surprised!!

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/public-service-staff-to-be-cut-by-18000-over-the-next-four-years-2937541.html

jobs for the boys comes to mind, i thought they were meant to be reducing the number of ministerial drivers

So it appears the Govt have no plan as to where the numbers of public service personnel will be cut from. If we look at AGS, it could be 2013 before the numbers are down to 13,000. That assumes 500 go next year and year after, which would actually be ahead of their schedule for the Govt.

Just to let ye know Pat Kenny is broadcasting from Templemore next Wednesday. The show will be dedicated to the Garda College and lack of recruitment afaik. I am eagerly awaiting it tbh. It will be interesting to see if anyone from Govt/DoJ turns up.

what show?

So it appears the Govt have no plan as to where the numbers of public service personnel will be cut from. If we look at AGS, it could be 2013 before the numbers are down to 13,000. That assumes 500 go next year and year after, which would actually be ahead of their schedule for the Govt.

Just to let ye know Pat Kenny is broadcasting from Templemore next Wednesday. The show will be dedicated to the Garda College and lack of recruitment afaik. I am eagerly awaiting it tbh. It will be interesting to see if anyone from Govt/DoJ turns up.

Numbers should be around 14,000 by end of year and come end of February will be less,how much less no-one knows.After Feb when gardai become eligible to retire alot of them may not retire because the pension cut is already in place.
    Shatter has said before 13,000 figure will be hard to achieve...but still 'hopes' to bring a class in next year so perhaps recruitment is not entirely dependent on numbers,get things moving anyway because moratorium will be lifted then.
    I think at best there'll be one campaign between now and 2015.

thekopend wrote: »
    what show?

Pat Kenny Show on Radio 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Dan1994

hi , where did ya hear about this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Cork Boy wrote: »
    Can anyone suggest any foreign forces excl PSNI that may be recruiting? Unfortunately the UK (mainland) are cutting numbers also.

Realistically the answer has to be No - American , Australian , New Zealand , Canadian forces , etc , all either require Citizenship or Permanent Residency which pretty much rules out applicants from Ireland.

Dunno about Police recruitment on the continent but you can be pretty sure fluency in the language would be a pre-requisite and there may well be residency requirements to fulfil also.

Like you said , UK recruitment is drastically curtailed with even The Met on a freeze , sorry to say I can't see any opportunities overseas popping up anytime soon. It should be noted that all UK forces ( bar the PSNI ) require applicants to have been UK resident for the 3 years immediately prior to applying.

http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2011-11-17.923.0&s=garda+recruitment

if shatter cant guarantee panel's future what chances have us waiting for a campaign..he spoke of bringing class in next year rest of panel would then be called 2013...maybe no recruitment whatsoever in next two years but there could well be as panel is still in place and they could yet be brought in.
    if they aren't then us waiting to apply haven't much hope either

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭gardapa

Is that response not different than the ones he has given before!!

Below is taken from the Metropolitan Police Service website. They now recruit internally. I've heard from several Gardai that AGS management is seriously considering going down this same route. So who knows what the next campaign will look like?
    The MPS has changed the way that it recruits police constables. The majority of police officer recruits will now come from serving MPS special constables and PCSOs. Currently the only route for external applicants to become a police officer is by joining the MPS as a Special Constable. MPS special constables are able to apply for the role of police officer when internal vacancies arise if they have attained Independent Patrol Status (IPS) and have a current satisfactory appraisal. Independent Patrol Status is the term given when a special constable has reached a satisfactory standard of competence to enable them to patrol independently.

Special constables will be required to complete an internal application form (when internal vacancies arise) and undertake the Police National Recruitment Standard (NRS) assessment process, which is often called Day 1 (assessment centre) and Day 2 (medical and fitness). All special constable candidates, who achieve the MPS standard at Day 1 NRS, will undertake training which recognises their previous learning and operational experience before being appointed as a police constable. In future when external recruitment reopens, it is likely to be for a very limited number of vacancies.

The MPS has just launched it first internal selection campaign based on the new approach to police constable selection and training. The internal selection campaign is aimed at selecting from currently serving MPS special constables and PCSOs. To find out more and to apply to become a special constable, please visit www.metpolicecareers.co.uk/specials

Included in the new process for the recruitment is the proposal of a "third pathway" for external applicants. That would include applicants precluded from being special constables by virtue of their profession or personal circumstances (including graduates). At this stage this external route is not currently developed and will not be activated for 2011-12 recruitment. Plans in respect of 2012-13 MPS police recruitment are also currently not developed. Any new information or development will be posted to our careers website.

• Advertisement
Advertisement