Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment- The Waiting to Apply Room

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭bluetop

If that is the amount there may be a recrutment around the corner :)

If they are looking to decrease the numbers why would they take more on, that would make no sense at all.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭footprints

It doesnt matter what the overall figure is,only 650 gardai max are going another 850 have to go before 13,000 is reached and thats only the maximum.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 limboninja

footprints wrote: »
    It doesnt matter what the overall figure is,only 650 gardai max are going another 850 have to go before 13,000 is reached and thats only the maximum.

I know for a fact there are more than 650 going mate!

limboninja wrote: »

First of all im not your mate and secondly I'm only going on what Shatter has said in reply to dail question

limboninja wrote: »

Mr Shatter has said this in his reply to dail question's, and has gone on record, and to print.

where is your proof on this, no point posting that information if you cant back it up. :rolleyes:

Here is Mr Shatters take on the amount going to retire from the force.

Members of the Garda Síochána who have reached 50 years of age and have at least 30 years service are eligible to retire on full pension. There are some 900 members of the force currently in this category. It is estimated that the total number of departures from the force in 2011 will be approximately 500 but we do not yet know how many Garda members will retire before 29 February next year. So far, approximately 40 members have indicated to the Commissioner that they intend to retire between the beginning of January and the end of February next but members have until the end of November to give the required three months notice of an intention to retire by then.
    These figures must be seen in the context of plans agreed by the previous Government as part of its compliance with the terms of the EU-IMF agreement to reduce Garda numbers to 13,500 by the end of this year and to 13,000 by 2014. However, what will ultimately determine the sustainable level of Garda numbers is the level of budgetary provision that can be made for the force and the House will be conscious that difficult decisions will have to be made right across the public sector in order to bring our public finances back into balance.

Friend of mine waiting since 2008 or that has been called for next stage of prison officer recruitment..somehow I cant see Dept of Justice doing same for AGS this year..:mad:

Friend of mine waiting since 2008 or that has been called for next stage of prison officer recruitment..somehow I cant see Dept of Justice doing same for AGS this year..:mad:

Well if this info is true god knows when any recruitment will come, or what will happen any panel.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056528050

bluetop wrote: »
    Well if this info is true god knows when any recruitment will come, or what will happen any panel.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056528050

If it is true it has no relevance to garda recruitment or this thread.On panel or not there'll be little or no recruitment for the next ten years.Most if not all of us here on boards will never see inside of garda college for full time training,there simply wont be the recruitment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Munsterlad2012

Not looking good for us folks is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Lenn Brennan

Apparently not everyone will have left by the end of Feb. This came from a family member who is in the ombudsman's office and deals with social welfare and civil service retirement issues.

Written into the deal, which he has seen with his own eyes is that they still have till the end of Feb to register their interest in retiring. Once interest is registered they can set their dates for leaving.

There may be a lot more going then everyone thinks, then again maybe not. We'll just have to see!

• Advertisement

Apparently not everyone will have left by the end of Feb. This came from a family member who is in the ombudsman's office and deals with social welfare and civil service retirement issues.

Written into the deal, which he has seen with his own eyes is that they still have till the end of Feb to register their interest in retiring. Once interest is registered they can set their dates for leaving.

There may be a lot more going then everyone thinks, then again maybe not. We'll just have to see!
    Wouldn't be holding my breath.

Its not,not one bit.It's impossible to be positive about any form of recruitment never mind garda recruitment.Everyone here is waiting for next campaign where you can nearly guarantee they'll be looking for very few and campaigns wont come around too often.I mean,they could be looking for 200 with hundreds of thousands applying.In our next budgets the reduction in public expenditure will account for a greater part of the cutbacks and increase every year.As I have said in another thread,Shatter told a person I spoke to last June that when it does start again it'll be very small intakes.Obviously,thats not a surprise.
    There'll be alot of retirements but thats what they are looking for.The age profile of AGS after Feb will be very young.
    Even if the country wasnt bankrupt a period of accelerated recruitment will always be followed by a period of significantly reduced recruitment,the fact country is bankrupt makes it worse.

Its not,not one bit.It's impossible to be positive about any form of recruitment never mind garda recruitment.Everyone here is waiting for next campaign where you can nearly guarantee they'll be looking for very few and campaigns wont come around too often.I mean,they could be looking for 200 with hundreds of thousands applying.In our next budgets the reduction in public expenditure will account for a greater part of the cutbacks and increase every year.As I have said in another thread,Shatter told a person I spoke to last June that when it does start again it'll be very small intakes.Obviously,thats not a surprise.
    There'll be alot of retirements but thats what they are looking for.The age profile of AGS after Feb will be very young.
    Even if the country wasnt bankrupt a period of accelerated recruitment will always be followed by a period of significantly reduced recruitment,the fact country is bankrupt makes it worse.
    They should really change the policy on recruiting directly from reserves. They do it in the uk and it cuts cost and works perfectly. At least they know how interested and dedicated you are that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭P.C.Plod

Not going to happen.
    http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2012-01-17.1381.0&s=garda+recruitment

Alan Shatter (Minister, Department of Justice, Equality and Defence; Dublin South, Fine Gael)
    2057The moratorium on Public Service Recruitment continues to apply to An Garda Síochána and no date has been fixed for future intakes into the Garda College. A decision on when recruitment will re-commence will take into account the rate of retirements in the Garda Síochána and Government targets, set in the context of the agreement with the EU and the IMF, to reduce the numbers of public servants.
    The regulations governing recruitment to the Garda Síochána would not permit recruitment to be limited to members of the Garda Reserve but the regulations specifically allow the Public Appointments Service to give due recognition to any satisfactory service by a person as a reserve member of the Garda Síochána.

Hopefully that will put an end to people posting about Reserves only being recruited.
    I applied in 2008 and am waiting ever since, does this mean im not interested.
    Most people on here calling for reserve only recruitment never applied for full time, then recession hits and now they are the only ones interested......I wonder why?

Well they did pay out 1.25 billion today to unsecured loans, what does that say, they did not have to pay this as unsecured to me means you are taking a risk, money can go up and down not to mention lose it, that is the agreement the bond holders made, and still this government still paid it out, and not to people in Ireland, all outside interests.

Then we have another big pay out in another few months again, is it any wonder the country is in such a mess, with masses of people leaving Ireland week in week out, recruitment in Ireland is a thing of the past, regardless of what sector its in.

The government of this country is exporting the best of the best of people, they dont realize this, it will only be years down the line that all this will unfold, and they have to pay for expertise from outside Ireland possibly from the Irish folks that emigrated from the very country that is looking for the help.

P.C.Plod wrote: »
    Not going to happen.
    http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2012-01-17.1381.0&s=garda+recruitment

Alan Shatter (Minister, Department of Justice, Equality and Defence; Dublin South, Fine Gael)
    2057The moratorium on Public Service Recruitment continues to apply to An Garda Síochána and no date has been fixed for future intakes into the Garda College. A decision on when recruitment will re-commence will take into account the rate of retirements in the Garda Síochána and Government targets, set in the context of the agreement with the EU and the IMF, to reduce the numbers of public servants.
    The regulations governing recruitment to the Garda Síochána would not permit recruitment to be limited to members of the Garda Reserve but the regulations specifically allow the Public Appointments Service to give due recognition to any satisfactory service by a person as a reserve member of the Garda Síochána.

Hopefully that will put an end to people posting about Reserves only being recruited.
    I applied in 2008 and am waiting ever since, does this mean im not interested.
    Most people on here calling for reserve only recruitment never applied for full time, then recession hits and now they are the only ones interested......I wonder why?

As i have said you go round and round in circles on this one, :rolleyes: neither me you, or anyone else can see into the future,:confused: if we could we would be very rich, so if you can see into the future can you post next weeks lotto numbers, that would be a start. :D

Then me and everyone else would know what you say is 100% true, things change all the time, the government themselves dont know what the right hand is doing with the left hand on a day to day basis, so its going to be an even longer wait to find out what is going to happen with any recruitment regardless of the sector.

If they recruit from the reserves before the panel I will eat my own face

If they recruit from the reserves before the panel I will eat my own face

And so the circle continues, round and round we go where it stops nobody knows, :rolleyes: this is the same for the recruitment nobody can say 100% what is going to happen, so if your not eating your face, you are defo eating yourself up inside worrying about it, "lets wait and see what happens" then we can all start agian on the roundabout. :pac:

I'm not worried about anything, it's just my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭P.C.Plod

you poor dillusional soul. You think being a patronising **** makes your own beliefs more true.
    At least what we're saying is coming straight from the horses mouth. Shatter said it himself, recruitmentent cannot come from a reserve pool. Unless everyone on the panel joins the reserves. Your in dreamland to think any different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

P.C.Plod wrote: »
    you poor dillusional soul. You think being a patronising **** makes your own beliefs more true.
    At least what we're saying is coming straight from the horses mouth. Shatter said it himself, recruitmentent cannot come from a reserve pool. Unless everyone on the panel joins the reserves. Your in dreamland to think any different.

Infracted and banned for 1 week for this post.
    No further comment on this please.
    Back on topic.

C-J wrote: »
    Your attitude is absolutely not helpful towards the purpose of this entire forum which is to advise, help and support those waiting to join an garda siochana, something which I'm guessing you aren't planning on doing. Everybody is free to give their opinions be they bad or good but don't sit there acting all surprised when people start to get a little irritated when you're like a broken record that keeps playing the worst song on the album on repeat over and over. Your opinions are never supported by any solid facts. This isn't after hours.

you consistently speak of when you'll enter gates of templemore...Shatter said your panel is on a time limit.it could well be scrapped!Your belief that you'll enter college is not based on fact!
    My last post garda recruitment thread,bye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

you consistently speak of when you'll enter gates of templemore...Shatter said your panel is on a time limit.it could well be scrapped!Your belief that you'll enter college is not based on fact!
    My last post garda recruitment thread,bye.

Infracted and banned for 2 weeks for trolling.
    Can I remind everyone that this is the Waiting To Apply Room. Can we get back on topic please.
    No further comment on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

http://www.kildarestreet.com/debates/?id=2012-01-24.4.0&s=garda+recruitment#g11.5

297 members of AGS have indicated they are retiring to date. Not great for the 13,000 figure, but on the flipside Howlin says that 3,000 could be recruited into the public service to meet demands.

Chin up.

eroo wrote: »
    http://www.kildarestreet.com/debates/?id=2012-01-24.4.0&s=garda+recruitment#g11.5

297 members of AGS have indicated they are retiring to date. Not great for the 13,000 figure, but on the flipside Howlin says that 3,000 could be recruited into the public service to meet demands.

Chin up.
    Egan did he say that pal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

it is only advised that gardai give 3 months notice, contract states that they only have to give 1 months notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭tod1577

Is that 297 just from jan or when is it from.They have said no number sense recruitment stoped in 2008.Be nice to know how mny have gone in the past three years.Well over 297 I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

tod1577 wrote: »
    Is that 297 just from jan or when is it from.They have said no number sense recruitment stoped in 2008.Be nice to know how mny have gone in the past three years.Well over 297 I would think.

id say its from jan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Saw the 2012 AGS Policing Plan.. basically the plan is to minimise spending and utilise manpower i.e. the new proposed roster

• Advertisement

eroo wrote: »
    Saw the 2012 AGS Policing Plan.. basically the plan is to minimise spending and utilise manpower i.e. the new proposed roster
    Where can that be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 daedalus177

Hi, i found this on the GRA web site. Not sure if its been posted already. but it makes an interesting read.

http://www.gra.cc/stop_cop_cuts_23_1_12.shtml

Hi, i found this on the GRA web site. Not sure if its been posted already. but it makes an interesting read.

http://www.gra.cc/stop_cop_cuts_23_1_12.shtml
    That was on the Sunday world last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 daedalus177

That was on the Sunday world last week.

Apologies. I missed that. Still its nice to read that in some sectors of the media, they are noticing what the reality of the situation is.

its a pity they dont do the same for the state of the country, no funds for anything its cut cut cut, and its all our fault as well says Mr Kenny !

its a pity they dont do the same for the state of the country, no funds for anything its cut cut cut, and its all our fault as well says Mr Kenny !
    Ah sure he's another man that will be arrested for fraud in a few years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

mr kenny said it wasnt our fault (it was the bankers, developers and previous government)

mr kenny stated later that the irish people went mad borrowing (which they did. the banks and government fascilitated it, but we the irish ppl bit off more than we could chew)

he tells the truth in both cases

whats the problem!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

WilcoOut wrote: »
    mr kenny said it wasnt our fault (it was the bankers, developers and previous government)

mr kenny stated later that the irish people went mad borrowing (which they did. the banks and government fascilitated it, but we the irish ppl bit off more than we could chew)

he tells the truth in both cases

whats the problem!?
    Don't forget that he also blames 'previous governments.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 blue light

reserves..... waste of money recruiting them... you can train 3 reserves for the price of one Garda, and fact is the full time member will work more hours.

and then u have to mind them and they show up and go home when they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

C-J wrote: »
    However whenever I graduate I will refuse point blank to shake hands with any minister for justice regardless of party and especially not shatter.

Do that and you'll have a very short career in AGS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Galway Elvis

blue light wrote: »
    reserves..... waste of money recruiting them... you can train 3 reserves for the price of one Garda, and fact is the full time member will work more hours.

It will be interesting to see the response the above gets........... and said response will tell a lot........

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yogi Bear

I hope you’re not a member with that attitude.

Three Reserves costs €3,000 a year while one Garda costs over €30,000.
    I should hope the full time member works more hours than a reserve!!.

It is a voluntary job, so turning up when we want is a perk we enjoy.

Yogi Bear wrote: »

I hope you’re not a member with that attitude.

I should hope the full time member works more hours than a reserve!!.

It is a voluntary job, so turning up when we want is a perk we enjoy.
    I agree. Also that person that made the comment forgot it was a reserve member in cork took a pensioner from her burning house. Another reserve in Dublin saved a man from the Liffey.

Deadline day. For retirements not football transfers ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 blue light

Yogi Bear wrote: »

I was on about Training costs here... u can train one Garda for the price of 3 reserves and one Garda will still do more hours a week than 3 reserves combinded.

Gardai work 7 days straight in one shift of 8 hours each and that would be 56 hours a week..... while one reserve will work 4 hours a week and that would mean 3 reserves would work 16hours!!!!!

scrap the reserves and put the money in the full timers where it matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭tod1577

You obviously havnt a clue about the reserves blue light do you,let me guess you are one of the famous bunch on this panel.Some reserves work a lot more than 16 hours a week so you should really do some research before you make these comments.At least these people have got off their backside to help and gain experience unlike some people think they have a devine right to bitch about the reserves when they havent a clue whats goes on,are it may cost the same to train one full time as three reserves but who is going to pay the wages.Everyone wants the same thing to be full time but it doesnt give people the right to shoot down the reserve force.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Dan1994 wrote: »
    In fairness if their were no reserve force in existence recruitment still wouldn't be happening at the minute.

I disagree.
    A lack of an alternative would force the government to take action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 hobby bobby

Please don't entertain that idiot with replies he is obviously just looking for a reaction. No member or reserve member would post comments like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 u s e

Dan1994 wrote: »
    In fairness if their were no reserve force in existence recruitment still wouldn't be happening at the minute.

Reserve force I feel will reduce need for full time recruitment,1300 extra people at its peak added to full timers of course it will.Its extra help so reduces need for full timers.My three siblings are serving rank and file gardai-they have all heard that force may be brought back to somewhere between 12,000 to 12,500-its only rumour and nothing more but all three heard the same in different districts.It could well be true with an increasing number of reserves,greater civilisation,new rota.Anyone watching frontline last night?Not very garda recruitment friendly but hopefully more applied for retirement today,fingers crossed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 hobby bobby

Look, the reserve garda was never set up to fill holes in the AGS it is a seperate support to the AGS and should be viewed accordingly. The reserve Garda is not holding up recruitment - the government wants numbers down in public service end of. They will not be recruiting until the public wage bill is reduced. We as a country are broke. The total no of Garda members is approx 14,000 that figure needs to be reduced (unfortunately) and as that number is reduced that also slows up recruitment for garda reserves also. There are Garda reserves in many areas who can't do their duty due to lack of full time members. The point being the minister for justice isn't going to flood the stations with reserve members in order to keep numbers up. The reserve member needs to carry out duties with a regular member. Less regular members means more difficulty for reserve members to complete their hours under correct supervision.

Advertisement