Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Drugs/Medicines online for Pets?

• 03-10-2011 11:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭

I've being buying Bexepril for a Dog now for a good few months, she has Heart trouble, it's costing around €25 a month for this.

Is there anywhere Online that I could get this without Customs Confiscating it???

Googling (?) it there and it looks like it's a prescription Drug for Humans aswell (Bugger), which definitely doesn't help.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I wouldn't consider €25 a month expensive for something like this. There are a few sites you can get prescription medicine from but they still require you to have a prescription first (and rightly so!). You will still have to get this from your vet and they will still charge you for this.

I'd imagine that a condition like this would require the vet to monitor how the dog is doing on the treatment and it's not something I'd want to take chances with.

There may be alternative treatments, but you should discuss this with the vet, or you could also try an alternative vet!

Personally, if the dog is doing well on this drug and the vet knows the history behind it etc, I'd be sticking with the current arrangement myself to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

The warnings about online drugs intended for humans apply equally to animal medications - you don't where it's been made ( possibly in a cement mixer in Pakistan ), you don't know if it is counterfeit , etc.

You have probably seen the ad on TV with the guy pulling a dead rat from his mouth after taking a drug ordered online , that could just as easily be from yout pets mouth.

Not worth the risk plus it is almost certainly illegal and what you order is liable to seizure.

Delancey wrote: »
    Not worth the risk plus it is almost certainly illegal and what you order is liable to seizure.

While it is true there are a lot of on-line cowboys out there, there are also a number of perfectly legitimate sites that sell some types of pet medication. As I've said though you still need a prescription for prescription meds and vets will be awkward about it because they want you to buy it from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

I wouldn't consider €25 a month expensive for something like this.
    Adding it up there, it's going to be over €300 for the year just on this drug.

She has me robbed!:rolleyes:

Adding it up there, it's going to be over €300 for the year just on this drug.

She has me robbed!:rolleyes:

What is the dosage your dog is on? I think you mean benazepril, maybe someone has an idea of how much it should be costing.

ETA - €25 is as good as you are going to get for a months supply of 5mg tablets - have just checked. I think your only other option is a change of treatment tbh, unless the dog is on a lower dosage than 5mg.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I wasn't aware there were legit sites - good to know that not all are selling counterfeit.
    That said , the OP may still have an issue getting stuff past customs - how would they know that he had a prescriptioon ?

What is the dosage your dog is on? I think you mean benazepril, maybe someone has an idea of how much it should be costing.
    Bexepril, Benazepril Hydrochloride (chemical name), Lotensin and Fortekor are the different names it comes under depending on Country or if it's generic.

5mg dosage

Using the Web Of Trust addon there seems to be a few Legit sellers, most are dodgy by the reviews though.

Delancey wrote: »
    I wasn't aware there were legit sites - good to know that not all are selling counterfeit.
    That said , the OP may still have an issue getting stuff past customs - how would they know that he had a prescriptioon ?

I imagine the company sends a copy with it, have never ordered on-line myself but they are fairly tight with complying with relevant legislation.

http://www.medicanimal.com/setSessionLocale/viewcontent?contentId=MA30022&newLocale=en_GB

Bexepril, Benazepril Hydrochloride (chemical name), Lotensin and Fortekor are the different names it comes under depending on Country or if it's generic.

5mg dosage

Best I can find from a site I know to be legit is £23 stg, so your vet is way cheaper I'm afraid.

• Advertisement

Best I can find from a site I know to be legit is £23 stg, so your vet is way cheaper I'm afraid.
    Thanks for looking:).

They work, She has a good quality of life on them, looks like She'll have me broke for another while so....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

[
    They work, She has a good quality of life on them, looks like She'll have me broke for another while so....[/Quote]

... Think of all the Iove you get : )
    ( and licks!!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

As another poster mentioned, legit sites will require a prescription from your vet and many vets will charge for a prescription (as doctors do) if you're not buying from them, so it would probably work out as cheap to simply buy from the vet.
    I would certainly never buy online from a site that's not regulated (and therefore wouldn't require a prescription) as I just wouldn't consider it safe. If I wouldn't take meds from a dodgy source, I certainly wouldn't inflict them on my pet.
    €25/month is fairly reasonable anyway. That's less than €1/day for unconditional doggy love :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

vetuk.co.uk is a website I'v used before for non prescription stuff, wormers, zylkene, feliway, toys etc. and I'v been happy with them so far, prices are usually pretty good and postage isin't too expensive. The require a prescription for prescription drugs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement