Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying and re-selling Primark clothing

Options
  • 04-10-2011 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

Hi Guys

just a quick question to ye, if I buy primark clothes can i re-sell them on at an increased price in a shop not online but in an actual outlet or is there a trade mark right that only primark can sell their own brand, not worried about the profit v cost at the moment just the legal side of things

regards

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭maygitchell

Santan wrote: »
    Hi Guys

just a quick question to ye, if I buy primark clothes can i re-sell them on at an increased price in a shop not online but in an actual outlet or is there a trade mark right that only primark can sell their own brand, not worried about the profit v cost at the moment just the legal side of things

regards

Why wouldnt people just buy in Primark? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

You want to buy Primark's clothes and then sell them at a higher price somewhere else? First of all nobody would buy them for MORE than they cost in the actual shop!! And no, you can't do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Santan

where i am does not have a primark and lots of irish here that are calling for one but it wont be opening any time soon thats why people will pay a little more for it

Acoshla wrote: »
    You want to buy Primark's clothes and then sell them at a higher price somewhere else? First of all nobody would buy them for MORE than they cost in the actual shop!! And no, you can't do that.

care to share why

where i am does not have a primark and lots of irish here that are calling for one but it wont be opening any time soon thats why people will pay a little more for it

Dude save your cash and forget this idea

• Advertisement

yeah its a long one alright but its the legal side of things that was just lokking to get an answer for if anyone had one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

I don't see why not!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Ammsy500

I used to work in a shop where we used to always have sales just before it closed down. Loads of African women used to come in and buy everything and I mean everything. One day I asked them out of curiosity what were they going to do with all these clothes and shoes. 'Sell them' Not sure if they were selling them here or bringing them back to Africa but thought it was a pretty good idea. They bought stuff for a €5 that could easily have been sold for €30 upwards.

But doubt you could legally do this(selling in a shop) or I suppose everybody would be doing this. You could always just remove the tags and theyll be none the wiser :D

Where are you planning on opening up the shop OP?

Ammsy500 wrote: »
    I used to work in a shop where we used to always have sales just before it closed down. Loads of African women used to come in and buy everything and I mean everything. One day I asked them out of curiosity what were they going to do with all these clothes and shoes. 'Sell them' Not sure if they were selling them here or bringing them back to Africa but thought it was a pretty good idea. They bought stuff for a €5 that could easily have been sold for €30 upwards.

But doubt you could legally do this(selling in a shop) or I suppose everybody would be doing this. You could always just remove the tags and theyll be none the wiser :D

Where are you planning on opening up the shop OP?

Any Irish women? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

See it all the time in the airport. Nigerian nationals with suitcases crammed with Penneys clothes. :)

• Advertisement

yeah its still going to be in the EU so its still close enough to home for primark to maybe have issues but it wont be any big shop about the same floor space as an O'Brians

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Ammsy500

Any Irish women? :rolleyes:

My comment was in no way racist so please dont imply it was. As I said these women used to buy massive amounts of clothes and I mean about 50 pairs of shoes each and 10 of the same top/trousers in different colours etc. Fair play to them for it. Irish women and other nationalities did as much shopping but didnt buy in bulk as im guessing they were planning on wearing these clothes and not selling them :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

Acoshla wrote: »

Theres absolutely nothing to stop the OP reselling them.

They are selling a product thats all. Primark dont sell their clothing on condition that its not resold.

Some high end electronics are sold on that condition, but usually online and moreso in the States than here.

The OP didnt look for advice on the viability of the idea, just the legitimacy. Its absolutely ok to resell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 Eureka_Bg

Hi Guys

regards

As I understand it, there is no legal reason why you cannot re-sell the products.

When you purchase them from Primark, they are legally your goods, to do with as you wish. I can see no legal reason how anyone can prevent you from selling your own property.

The only problem you might encounter is if Primark find out and take offence in some silly way. They could refuse to continue to supply you in the future if they wanted to. However, I see no reason why they would do that unless you were misrepresenting yourself as their agent or an official outlet of Primark or something similar.

They may even be pleased with the extra sales they are making to you.

Perhaps you could get a friend (in order not to alert them) to ask would they object to continue supplying someone who was reselling their goods?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭AstonMartin

Good luck. Legally no problem. What markup are you thinking of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

TylerIE wrote: »
    Theres absolutely nothing to stop the OP reselling them.

They are selling a product thats all. Primark dont sell their clothing on condition that its not resold.

Some high end electronics are sold on that condition, but usually online and moreso in the States than here.

The OP didnt look for advice on the viability of the idea, just the legitimacy. Its absolutely ok to resell.

Yeah you are right, it just seems like a shady idea tbh. When I said you can't do that I assumed OP was talking about selling them in an area that had Primark too, didn't consider it might be where Primark isn't.

it would be in mainland spain where the nearest primark is in the uk, so there is a lot of women here who are constantly looking for primark clothing, so it was just an idea after having a few beers in the local that we started to ask the question of how legal it would be and dont really have access to the type of solicitor that will give you a straight answer in one day more like 2 - 3 months time.

Have set up a way to have them transported at a very low cost so would be looking to make a mark up of between 62% - 68% on average less for any more expensive items

thanks for the help guys

Santan.

I really see no legal reason whatsoever to prevent you from reselling your own legally purchased property. Other than the obvious, (Medicines, alcohol, tobacco etc. which require a licence) it is the same as anything else that you own and want to sell. You bought it, you own it, and now you want to sell it.

As I said, perhaps Primark may take umbrage for some unknown reason and refuse to continue to supply you in the future. However I doubt that as they should welcome the extra sales. Anyway, even in the ulikely event that they wanted to try to ban you from buying anymore stock from them, it would be difficult for them to stop you from getting friends to make purchases on your behalf (they could of course easily spot someone buying 50 t-shirts, age 3-4).

Good Luck with your project. It sounds like a good idea, if the demand is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

Dont import the good directly to spain from primark. Just cut out the middleman (primark) and find their manufacturer. Start the same conversation your having now and you will be surprised what they would sell out the back door with a different label..

River island.. do a little digging on this company to see who manufacturers their clothes lines.. lol

Dont import the good directly to spain from primark. Just cut out the middleman (primark) and find their manufacturer. Start the same conversation your having now and you will be surprised what they would sell out the back door with a different label..

River island.. do a little digging on this company to see who manufacturers their clothes lines.. lol

I wholeheartedly agree with "The Apprentice" as a long term objective. In the meantime stay on course with your plans, and if it is the success that you are hoping for, then take his excellent advice and go to the original source for the big bulk orders.

• Advertisement

yeah the plan would be to be able set up a shop and to get a rep for having clothes from primark that every one is familiar with but that down the line to be able to get much better deals from the manufacturers of different lable clothes

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭John368

As most people have said, this is basically a business-to-business matter. Basically it is up to Primark whether they want to sell you their clothes knowing that you are reselling them in the way that you are doing.

Since plenty of Primark staff go on holidays to Spain it is only a matter of time before they get wind of it so, I would have a Plan B just in case they decide that it is a case of thanks but no thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭revell

the factory price of Primark 6 euro jeans should be about 2 euro from China but of course you have to buy bulk and use a different label (not the big brand ones).

usually big brands do not like anyone resells their products in large quantity without agreement or permission. One reason is that you may distort the price in a regional market, but this seems not your case here. the second reason is about aftersale services and brand reputation. if you cannot provide the same kind of services as Primark itself can do, your action may damage Primark's reputation in Spain in the long run. This is a practical reason.

Advertisement