Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mines near Perth.

Options
  • 04-10-2011 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭

Hey there,

I'm heading to perth on the 2nd of November with a friend, I'm a qualified carpenter and my friend is a qualified electrician. I'm just wondering if all the work in the mines is mining or is there work there for trades. Somebody here told me that theyre building a town around the mine outside perth.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

What mine??

The nearest decent sized mine close to Perth is Boddington (90min) and the town is still small and the camp is already established. No plans to build a bigger town down there as mines don't last forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 marksparks08

as said theres a town around that one already. kallgoorie and goldfields are two more. yell have to get here trades recognized here to i.e get tested again

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

Been thinking that it could be Onslow. Some developments happening up there at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 DiaDhuit29

Hey I was wondering is there any work for unskilled labourers in the mines. I'm looking for work but don't have a skill and heard the mines have a lot of work going in Perth, if anyone knows of any work going and who or where to contact, I'd be most grateful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Caoimhin.

I hate to brutal, but there is almost 0% chance that you will get a mine job here with no skill or mining experience. For some reason, so many of the Irish landing here are under the impression that they will just be able to head off to the mines for some hard work and obscene pay rates. It's just not true. Yes, there is a lot of mining related work available in WA but without skills, contacts or experience the chances of landing a job are slim to none

• Advertisement

Alright thanks for the update. Are you living in Australia, if so what part and is there any general work of any sort going?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Caoimhin.

I'm in Perth on a WHV. There seems to be a good bit of casual work going. Hostel notice-boards are a good place to start. There are also a few agency type places in town advertising 'Jobs for Backpackers'. From speaking to others, it still seems to be easier to find work here than in Melbourne or Sydney. If you are not fussy about location, Darwin in NT have a recruitment drive at the moment so that may be worth looking at

Alright thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

cork2 wrote: »
    Hey there,

I'm heading to perth on the 2nd of November with a friend, I'm a qualified carpenter and my friend is a qualified electrician. I'm just wondering if all the work in the mines is mining or is there work there for trades. Somebody here told me that theyre building a town around the mine outside perth.

There is plenty of work in the mines for trades generally in the construction of mine sites. As mentioned above the closest mine to Perth is an hour and a half away. Most of the rest of the mines would be fly in fly out. There are around 270 mines in Western Australia with most of them being a plane ride north of Perth. It can be very difficult to get a start in the mines here so don't expect to get a job in the mines straight away. I currently work as an electrican in the mines but:
    1. I have an 'A' grade electrical licence and
    2. I'm not on a working holiday visa.

Do you know the name of the mine that somebody told you about? Onslow has been mentioned above probably because of the new Chevron project announce this week but it is 1400km "outside" Perth.
    Do yourself a favour and do your own research and don't listen to pub talk.

Alright sound. I've been looking into it and sent a e-mail or 2 to recruitment agencies so hope to hear back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement