Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you lose a receipt....

Options
  • 04-10-2011 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭

How do you prove you made the purchase? I ask this question because my mother had this experience recently.

She had purchased a computer game for my nephew but it was rated 15's which my mother didn't realise until my sister pointed it out to her(my nephew is 12).

When she returned to the shop 3 days later(which shall remain nameless but has a 30 day money back guarantee)she explained her story and asked could she just exchange the game(which was still in its plastic wrap) for another.No problem....except the game she had purchased was reduced by 18 euro and she was credited with the reduced price towards the new game(if the item had increased in price,i'm pretty sure they wouldn't have given the bigger amount).She gave them,more or less,the exact day and time she made the purchase and even told them who served her but all to no avail.I know the company in question can check when stock is sold pretty quickly on their tills so it wouldn't have been a huge ordeal to check if she was telling the truth.

I know she had no receipt but is this common practice in retail outlets?If giving the info. above is not enough to prove when you made the purchase,how do you prove the purchase if you have no receipt and you have paid with cash?

Not looking to wrong the company-just something i would like an opinion on.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

GEM_13 wrote: »
    how do you prove the purchase if you have no receipt and you have paid with cash?

Basically, you don't. The onus is on the consumer to be able to prove they purchased the product at that particular retailer. There is no onus on the retailer to help the consumer to produce that proof.

Also, since there was nothing wrong with the product, no return was legally entitled, especially without a proof of purchase. Whatever is offered under these conditions would be up to the retailer. Since the price had reduced, then even with a receipt she probably wouldn't have gotten the full refund anyway. It would be down to the terms of the retailer's refund policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

they were generous to offer you an exchange without receipt, on what basis do you suspect if the game was a higher price they would offer you less value credit?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

They were generous to offer an exchange without a receipt. Even Penneys will not do this (anymore). Nobody though will allow the exchange to be for the older full-price if there's no proof that's what they paid. Think about it, otherwise every fecker around would be saying 'Oh no that's not right, I paid €40' etc. The 30 day money back guarantee is subject to t's and c's...namely, have your receipt. Nobody gives money back for something which technically could have been robbed as there's nothing to say otherwise. Sometimes there is an exception if the item is faulty, but this is not the case here. It is not the store's fault the customer did not see the age rating and lost her receipt.

Anybody can check the sale of stock, it's essential. Receipts, not so much. It can be done, but it's very laborious and there's no obligation for any store to trawl through online records for a customer. In the circumstances, that is the best the shop can offer and they could have told her they won't do anything and still have been within their rights, even WITH a receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭GEM_13

The 30 day money back guarantee is subject to t's and c's...namely, have your receipt.
    In the circumstances, that is the best the shop can offer and they could have told her they won't do anything and still have been within their rights, even WITH a receipt.
    So are you saying if you lose a receipt,you are fecked and if you have the receipt,you are fecked anyway.If that is company policy in most shops,then i fear for them i really do.

If a shop allows 30 days for the return of a product WITH a receipt and the product has been reduced in the meantime,what is the policy in that circumstance?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

So are you saying if you lose a receipt,you are fecked

If you lose your receipt, then how can you reasonably expect the shop to accept that you purchased the item? And most importantly, the price at which you purchased the item.
    GEM_13 wrote:
    and if you have the receipt,you are fecked anyway.

I don't get what you're saying here. Having a receipt puts you in the strongest position possible.

GEM_13 wrote:
    If a shop allows 30 days for the return of a product WITH a receipt and the product has been reduced in the meantime,what is the policy in that circumstance?

Shops will refund/exchange at the purchase price, once you have proof of purchase, even if that has been reduced in the meantime. If you don't have proof of purchase, then they will give you the lower value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

So are you saying if you lose a receipt,you are fecked and if you have the receipt,you are fecked anyway.If that is company policy in most shops,then i fear for them i really do.

Ironically the return policy is probably written on the back of the receipt.

Any shops return policies in this instance are down to good will.

I would assume if she had a receipt she would get fully refunded in the form of a credit note.

There is no point being mad at the shop because they have done nothing wrong, it was your mothers fault she bought an inappropriate game and her fault she lost the receipt, the shop has to protect itself.

She was actually lucky she got a partial refund.

18 euro is a small price to pay for the lesson learned.

Change of mind is not something you have a statutory right to do. When you buy something, you have no automatic right to return it, unless it was miss-sold, is damaged, or otherwise defective. Change of mind returns are solely at the discretion of the retailer, and subject to whatever rules they want to apply.

Completely up to the retailer in question, and what policy they want to apply. Sometimes the refund would be at the current selling price.

They were generous to offer an exchange without a receipt. Even Penneys will not do this (anymore). Nobody though will allow the exchange to be for the older full-price if there's no proof that's what they paid.
    bobmalooka wrote: »
    they were generous to offer you an exchange without receipt, on what basis do you suspect if the game was a higher price they would offer you less value credit?
    If something is reduced for a week and then goes back up in price,i'd imagine the shop will claim i bought it at the reduced price or tell me they can only refund at the lower price?
    As Corruptedmorals said above,without a receipt,nobody will exchange for the older full price.

The original question was 'How do you prove purchase if you have no receipt?'

It's impossible barring going back to the shop telling date,time and person who served you.If there is no point going back without a receipt,then companies should state this on the receipt.The reason i say this is because the company in question states on their website
    "If you don't have your receipt,as long as you have proof of purchase,we'll exchange the item or give you a refund with vouchers"

I feel this is a misleading statement for people who pay in cash as they cannot,without receipt,prove the purchase.

The reason i say this is because the company in question states on their website
    "If you don't have your receipt,as long as you have proof of purchase,we'll exchange the item or give you a refund with vouchers"

I feel this is a misleading statement for people who pay in cash as they cannot,without receipt,prove the purchase.

A proof or purchase could be a cheque stub, or credit/debit card receipt/statement too. You asked how to prove purchase when you paid cash, and the answer is you can't. The policy as stated is not misleading, you just have no proof whatsoever, which is not their problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Proof of purchase could be in the form of a bank statement.

• Advertisement

jor el wrote: »
    Change of mind is not something you have a statutory right to do. Change of mind returns are solely at the discretion of the retailer, and subject to whatever rules they want to apply.

It's the retailer in questions policy to allow for change of mind,within 30 days,once the item is returened in its original packaging,in a saleable condition.

[/QUOTE]Completely up to the retailer in question, and what policy they want to apply. Sometimes the refund would be at the current selling price.[/QUOTE]

IF i buy at any retailer,not just the one in question,they can apply the rule that suits them even if i have a receipt?So it's a case of we have what you paid originally in the till and only want to return half it so feck you.I can understand not wanting to lose the sale from the shop in case i go elsewhere so why not just give vouchers to the original value and the money is still it the books?

A proof or purchase could be a cheque stub, or credit/debit card receipt/statement too. You asked how to prove purchase when you paid cash, and the answer is you can't. The policy as stated is not misleading, you just have no proof whatsoever, which is not their problem.
    That is the answer to my question-thank you.Nobody in their right mind so should pay for something in cash nowadays.Better off paying by laser/credit card to avoid all the hassle just in case a receipt is lost.

IF i buy at any retailer,not just the one in question,they can apply the rule that suits them even if i have a receipt?So it's a case of we have what you paid originally in the till and only want to return half it so feck you.I can understand not wanting to lose the sale from the shop in case i go elsewhere so why not just give vouchers to the original value and the money is still it the books?

You're not entitled to ANY money back, at all, when you change your mind. If a retailer has a refund policy in place it is completely up to them to decide how it works, what will be refunded, and what conditions to apply.

If you return something that was bought at one price, but is now on sale at a lower price, then the shop will not be able to make the money they originally got for it if they give you a full refund. They will only be able to sell the returned item at the new, lower price. If they want to give you all your money back, then they can. If not, then they don't have to. If they don't want to give you any money back at all, then they can do that too.

If the policy says that it is a full money back guarantee, then that would imply that even if the price has reduced that you get all your money back. But without a proof of purchase, you can't prove what was paid, and you can't even prove that you bought it there. Paying cash and losing the receipt means you have no proof, and the policy doesn't even apply to you any more. The return was accepted purely out of good will.

You're not entitled to ANY money back, at all, when you change your mind. If a retailer has a refund policy in place it is completely up to them to decide how it works, what will be refunded, and what conditions to apply.

If you return something that was bought at one price, but is now on sale at a lower price, then the shop will not be able to make the money they originally got for it if they give you a full refund. They will only be able to sell the returned item at the new, lower price. If they want to give you all your money back, then they can. If not, then they don't have to. If they don't want to give you any money back at all, then they can do that too.

If the policy says that it is a full money back guarantee, then that would imply that even if the price has reduced that you get all your money back. But without a proof of purchase, you can't prove what was paid, and you can't even prove that you bought it there. Paying cash and losing the receipt means you have no proof, and the policy doesn't even apply to you any more. The return was accepted purely out of good will.

I think we are going round in circles now.When you quoted me on my last post,i was posing the question if i had a receipt,what would happen.I understand when a person has no receipt,it's up to the individual shop to decide.

You have also said above that if they don't want to give you any money back at all,then they don't have to.I know this would apply in certain shops on sale items but if a company has a money-back guarantee in place,am i wrong to assume they have to give a refund based on having a receipt and their policy?

Last question on this i promise:D-I know you have other things to keep an eye on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

If there is no point going back without a receipt,then companies should state this on the receipt

How do you know they didn't??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

I think we are going round in circles now.When you quoted me on my last post,i was posing the question if i had a receipt,what would happen.I understand when a person has no receipt,it's up to the individual shop to decide.

You have also said above that if they don't want to give you any money back at all,then they don't have to.I know this would apply in certain shops on sale items but if a company has a money-back guarantee in place,am i wrong to assume they have to give a refund based on having a receipt and their policy?

Last question on this i promise:D-I know you have other things to keep an eye on.

if you have the receipt then they can offer a credit note to that value - but they do not have to because the product is of merchantable quality.

if a company has a money-back guarantee you can be certain there are terms and conditions involved - any money back guarantee would more than likely be if a product is faulty - which is covered under the law anyway.

dudara wrote: »
    I don't get what you're saying here. Having a receipt puts you in the strongest position possible.

Shops will refund/exchange at the purchase price, once you have proof of purchase, even if that has been reduced in the meantime. If you don't have proof of purchase, then they will give you the lower value.
    they could have told her they won't do anything and still have been within their rights, even WITH a receipt.

Hi Dudara.
    I was referring to Corruptedmorals quote above.Appreciate you clearing it up regarding having a receipt and getting purchase price back with a receipt even if the item has been reduced.

I don't think everyone on here agrees with you in that case.Some seem to think ,even with a receipt,stores are entitled to refund sale price even if you have paid full price.

FruitLover wrote: »
    How do you know they didn't??
    Because,believe it or not,it's not the first time anyone i know has purchased something from this store:P

Corkbah wrote: »
    if you have the receipt then they can offer a credit note to that value - but they do not have to because the product is of merchantable quality.

if a company has a money-back guarantee you can be certain there are terms and conditions involved - any money back guarantee would more than likely be if a product is faulty - which is covered under the law anyway.
    On their site,there are 2 different sections regarding bringing something back to any of their stores within the 30 days and returning a faulty product.

This suggests to me that they deal with both outcomes individually.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭28064212

They do have to. The issue becomes what you mean by money-back guarantee, and what the store defines as a money-back guarantee. Your definition might be as simple as receipt + item = money-back. The store's definition will have a long list of terms and conditions attached to it, and their definition is what counts

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement

28064212 wrote: »
    They do have to. The issue becomes what you mean by money-back guarantee, and what the store defines as a money-back guarantee. Your definition might be as simple as receipt + item = money-back. The store's definition will have a long list of terms and conditions attached to it, and their definition is what counts
    That is true regarding their conditions.

The policy says that,if for any reason you are not happy with your purchase,return it unused,in original packaging,in a saleable condition and they will exchange or refund.That is their guarantee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Cameron Poe

On their site,there are 2 different sections regarding bringing something back to any of their stores within the 30 days and returning a faulty product.

This suggests to me that they deal with both outcomes individually.

If an item is faulty they have to refund for the full amount paid with proof of purchase.

Everything else is goodwill on the retailers behalf. Your mother has done well to get what she got with no proof of purchase. I worked in a games shop where people would buy games cheaper online and try get exchanges in our store for the amount we were selling them for. We accepted nothing back without proof of purchase.

If an item is faulty they have to refund for the full amount paid with proof of purchase.
    Not true, they can offer the 3 'R's: Repair, Refund or Replace

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Cameron Poe

28064212 wrote: »
    Not true, they can offer the 3 'R's: Repair, Refund or Replace

I was under the impression that a refund was mandatory if the customer would not accept a replacement or for the item to be repaired?

edit: http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/FAQs/Faulty-goods/

You learn something new every day. The retailer I worked for operated a no quibbles policy with faulty goods it seems.

I was under the impression that a refund was mandatory if the customer would not accept a replacement or for the item to be repaired?

edit: http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/FAQs/Faulty-goods/

You learn something new every day. The retailer I worked for operated a no quibbles policy with faulty goods it seems.
    Yeah, it's not specified in law who decides what form of redress is used. It's rare that it would come up, generally buyer and seller would come to an agreement, but I would imagine the buyer could take it to court if they refused what the seller was offering. In those cases it would most likely come down to the individual circumstances

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

That is true regarding their conditions.

The policy says that,if for any reason you are not happy with your purchase,return it unused,in original packaging,in a saleable condition and they will exchange or refund.That is their guarantee.

you answered your own question there
    if you did have a receipt you would have the option of exchanging or getting a refund under their policy.
    because you don't have a receipt you can't prove that you bought it there or what you paid, so they are offering you a reasonable remedy, and relistically it's as much as they can offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

My last statement there about them not being obliged to do anything even with a receipt stems from consumer law- so many many people think a goodwill refund is enshrined in law, when the reality is, the shop can send you on your way without doing anything (except if faulty, unfit for purpose etc.).

Obviously though almost all shops that are not one-off boutiques WILL do goodwill refunds, with proof of purchase.

I haven't heard of a place that won't offer back the purchase price when you're getting a refund with a receipt on an item which has since been reduced. The store I work in calls a manager to change the price, as obviously when the person scans the game to do the refund, the sales price will automatically show up. They would be within their rights to only give back the sales price as they are making a loss otherwise but that be very unusual and wouldn't encourage repeat custom.

Some places will accept debit/credit card statements as proof of purchase with no receipt, but you more than likely will be refused with this especially if you bought more than what you're returning. It is entirely up to them. Obviously with cash you have no fallback except if you get them to trawl through and find your receipt. I'm not even sure if all stores have the capability of doing this, or perhaps only have the receipts stores on computers for a certain period of time, like 1 day or 3 days. I know Dunnes can do this, but only use it if there's a query about a credit card authorisation code or something.

Advertisement