Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need help with latin & handwriting please

• 04-10-2011 12:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭

SO excited to have the parish records now from irishgenealogy.ie! :D But some of the latin and the handwriting has me stumped and I'm hoping some genius here might be able to help.

Here's the link to my g-g-grandparent's marriage in Donnybrook in 1884, Thomas Donnelly and Josephine Millea (about halfway down the page). My first question is the hometown in Wexford of her family? It looks like Staplestown to me, does anyone else see that?

Secondly, what on earth does that last column mean and what is it written in it for Thomas and Josephine's entry? I presume it's special comments about the marriage.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

The address looks to me like it might be Staplestown, but Stephenstown also looks possible.

Quick and dirty translation of heading in final column: "Observations, if any: e.g. if one spouse has converted to the faith, or there was a previous marriage."

I can't easily read the remarks actually made. I see "mulier ... antea ... fuit": "woman ... previously ... was" (word order is different in Latin). I suspect that the message is that she was married before. Does this accord with what you already know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Yes, according to the civil record, she is a widow.

It's a little confusing here though. She is using Millea as her surname here and although it doesn't say specifically that her father's name is Thomas Millea, it certainly implies it. However, according to the civil record, she names her father as Thomas Murphy from Wexford. For the birth certs of her children that we have found, she has named herself Murphy.

So we're not 100% certain which is her maiden name and her name from her first marriage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

+ 1 for Staplestown. It's a letter short for Stephenstown.

Mulier iam antea nupta fuit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

CeannRua wrote: »
    Mulier iam antea nupta fuit.

God bless your eyesight!

Yes, I see it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

hope this isn't too confusing, i tried to cut and paste from ancestry.uk and it didnt work out so had to try fix it up.

and-Et
    birth,born-nati,natus
    burial-buriedsepulti,sepultus
    christening-christenedbaptismi,baptizatus
    daughter-Filia
    day-Die
    death, deceasedmortuus, defunctus
    father-Pater
    godparent-spatrini
    given name-Nomen
    husband-maritus,
    sponsus, conjux
    marriage-matrimonium, copulatio, copulati, conjuncti
    marriage banns-banni, proclamationes, denuntiationes
    month-Mense
    mother-Mater
    parents-Parentes
    son-Filius
    surname-Cognomen
    wife-uxor, marita, conjux, sponsa
    witnesses-Sponsores
    year-Ano

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Catsmeow

Many thanks for that R.Dub.Fusilier, that's most useful. It will really help when I'm trying to decipher those Latin inscriptions on all those parish registers.:) Catsmeow

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Dalcassian

Hi, Have a look at this web site for Latin translations. I found it very helpful. :)

http://freereg.rootsweb.com/howto/latinnames.htm

Cheers
    Joe

Advertisement