Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on living in Longford Town - advice required

Options
  • 04-10-2011 1:05am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

Hi Longfordites , Longfordese
    Longfordians! :)

I am taking up a position soon in Longford town, have been there
    a few times over the years passing through on business and so on.

Basically I'm just looking for some local opinions, in terms of amenities, standard of living, general safety, what it has to offer etc how does Longford rate?

I don't know much about the area, or what the people are like so thought here might be a good place to start.

I will probably be looking to rent somewhere, are apartments/flats expensive rent wise?

Oh and I will be commuting to work by car so I don't mind living a bit away from the town if traffic isn't too bad getting in and out
    and if it makes a difference rent wise etc.

Would be greatful for any opinions, cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Welcome! lucky you getting a job in the town. Well I'm a blow-in and I think its a grand town, (well if you excuse the fact that longford CoCo voted for Dana :(). You should be able to get a good deal on a house or apt around the town or if you prefer to live out in the country, as there would be alot of empty houses. Not sure how busy traffic gets, as I don't work in the town. The N5 bypass is currently been constructed, so that might cause some traffic delays, but it's in the early stages at the moment. Only thing its lacking, is jobs, but sure thats everywhere outside of dublin.
    Its generally safe, no more than any other medium size town. You could pick up the local paper, longford leader to get any idea.
    Afew nice pubs and a nightclub in the town. Theres longford football club and theres a swimming pool and gym with astro turf. Also, have afew big supermarkets and the Cinema.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭andyjo

Its a fine town. As someone else said its got a few nice pubs and a nightclub in the town. Central location in Ireland. Got good roads ( N4 ) going east to Dublin if you want big city shops / Concerts / exhibitions etc - an easy day trip ( say an hour and a half each way ) - or if you want to go the other direction ( surfing, beaches ) Sligo / Strandhill is only an hour away. Got the Shannon as well not a million miles away. A car / van is essential though.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

Its a complete dump, do not live within the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭silver campaign

I live close to stonepark, Its nice and quiet out there, about 4 miles from town. Only problem is you need a car to get in and out of town. Also a taxi journey home from the pub. If you are looking to rent, I'd recommend the pearse park side of town. Lots of nice estates around there with easy access to N4, Sports facilities shops and walking distance from town. Abbeycartron, White linen woods, Bo dearg, Clonbalt woods, some place behind the garda station I don't know the name of. They all seem like decent places to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

fat__tony wrote: »
    Its a complete dump, do not live within the town.

Sure it has it's problems, like many other irish towns and is not as "glamorous" as some but complete dump is a little harsh. Always found Longford people very welcoming and the shopkeepers always appreciate your business..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

Might not want to be around town at closing time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭davehey79

Plopsu wrote: »
    Might not want to be around town at closing time!

in all fairness you could use that general statement in almost any town in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

davehey79 wrote: »
    in all fairness you could use that general statement in almost any town in Ireland

Too true, I never had a bother there in the small hours, if you look for trouble you will get it. Tarmonbarry is a nice spot to live I have a house there.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭bovis

My preference is out towards the Shannon in places like tarmonbarry or clondra. Only a short hope into town, nice restaurants/bar, plenty of nice rural walks and the place has a nice "feel-good" factor in the spring/summer with all the boating activity. But then again all depends on what you're looking for.

Advertisement