Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping it local

Options
  • 04-10-2011 3:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

I was doing a bit of home improvements over the last week and I discovered something about buying DIY materials. I got wallpaper, paint and furniture in local (Portarlington) retailers cheaper than in the hardware chains in Tullamore and Newbridge.
    A local hardware store had better value paint. Another chap selling wallpaper and furniture gave me a 20% discount without me asking, making him also better value than larger stores out of town. In both outlets the staff were helpful and friendly
    I am not trying to promote any individual business nor have I any connection with any local seller. I just think we sometimes assume that the bigger guy automatically will be cheaper than the local smaller sellers. This is not always the case.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Yeah, very true. I don't normally go to big retail stores, but herself insisted on looking in Homebase, Portlaoise for curtain tiebacks. Almost €20 a set, very similar set in another store €6. Shop around is the moral of the story.

Advertisement