Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Registering vintage cars

• 04-10-2011 5:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Since the NCT centres took over the vrt of cars in Ireland things have apparently got a bit stricter, You have to have an invoice of sale, the car has to be running, it has to be done within 30 days of bringing it into the state ect.

What happens though if someone wants to register a car that's been in the state for a long time on foreign plates? Or if someone had an imported car on ringer Irish plates and wanted to register it to get everything above board? Or if someone imported a vintage car that wasn't running and wanted to register it how would they do that? Say if you imported a basket case for restoration, would it have to be restored before you could register it and would that have to be done within 30 days?

I'm just wondering has anybody any experience with this kind of thing, or does anybody know anything about it.

I'm not thinking of getting anything ragistered by the way I'm just asking out of interest.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

This was my experience earlier this year doing similar, but with a tractor, so not sure if its different with a car.What a bloody pain in the..................:mad:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056238772

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭acmatman

be creative with a printer

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kelpie

I took a72 mustang to the nct to get it cleared on the back of a breakdown truck,as it clearly wasn't roadworthy,and no bother, the girl asked me to read out the vin number for her,rather than her climb up on the truck. That was all there was to it. I had brought the car into the country two years earlier

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

acmatman wrote: »
    be creative with a printer

See this post: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75023016&postcount=12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭555guy

kelpie wrote: »
    I took a72 mustang to the nct to get it cleared on the back of a breakdown truck,as it clearly wasn't roadworthy,and no bother, the girl asked me to read out the vin number for her,rather than her climb up on the truck. That was all there was to it. I had brought the car into the country two years earlier

What paperwork did you have to provide ??

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kelpie

the paperwork requirements are a pain in the butt, they want a bill of sale, a ferry ticket, log book...but, there is different criteria for certain circumstances. i owned the car in uk for afew years prior to bringing it to Ireland, and was getting it vrt free, got four cleared free! if you are bringing in a car just bought, then they want your loot, the paperwork dont matter so much. The nct visit is just to confirm that the vehicle is what the logbook says it, a vic check, not a test, they send the details to the revenue, who then set the vrt amount, send that back to nct, who then contact you with the grim news, if you disagree with the amount they want, you can appeal, but! you must pay the initial amount first. I had this with a freelander commercial I brought in last year, I refused to pay the amount they wanted, and declined to pay and then appeal. I took it home and it sits outside since. Anybody interested in a smart freelander commercial?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

kelpie wrote: »
    the paperwork requirements are a pain in the butt, they want a bill of sale, a ferry ticket, log book...but, there is different criteria for certain circumstances. i owned the car in uk for afew years prior to bringing it to Ireland, and was getting it vrt free, got four cleared free! if you are bringing in a car just bought, then they want your loot, the paperwork dont matter so much. The nct visit is just to confirm that the vehicle is what the logbook says it, a vic check, not a test, they send the details to the revenue, who then set the vrt amount, send that back to nct, who then contact you with the grim news, if you disagree with the amount they want, you can appeal, but! you must pay the initial amount first. I had this with a freelander commercial I brought in last year, I refused to pay the amount they wanted, and declined to pay and then appeal. I took it home and it sits outside since. Anybody interested in a smart freelander commercial?

Paperwork does matter
    They can charge you .1 percent of the vrt tariff for every day you are over the 30 day cut off time to clear your car after importing it.
    Does not amount to much of a penalty on a vintage car but on a modern car it adds up and fast.

Advertisement