Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 upgrade not booting

Options
  • 04-10-2011 8:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hello all,

Hope this is the right place to be posting this.

Basically I have a problem with the girlfriends laptop. She has an Acer Travelmate and it was running Vista on 1G of Ram. At the weekend I upgraded to 2.5G by replacing one of the 512's with a 2G. Then I proceeded to clean up the laptop, removed lots of ridiculously useless files, old pictures(20Gb) and then after doing this left it with her to see if she was happy with the speed. It was much sharper and there was no waiting 10 mins to load a program or watching as a program slowly made its way down the screen after closing.

So after awhile she said she would like Windows 7, I have the disk so I said I would do it. Put in the disk and boot from disk, click install now and select language. I select the Recommended option because she wants to keep her remaining files. A prompt comes up after awhile saying to restart and load vista as normal to continue the installation sequence. I install 7 after Vista has loaded. It finished the installation and then asks for a restart to complete the updates. I click ok and restart, it installs 3 updates and then restarts - this is where the problem comes in. Once it restarts it gets as far as the windows 7 loading page and freezes up or gives a black screen.

I cant use safe mode to boot either, tried doing a repair with the cd and also tried without and using advanced diagnostic. Tried restoring to another date - same issue. I did a memory diagnostic and all is fine.

After awhile I said fcuk it and did a custom install, so ran from disk and all goes well, it restarts and then gets stuck on the "configuring system updates screen" HD seems to stop working at this stage and it stays on this screen for hours without anything.

I have googled the balls out of this and I said I would try here for some help before tossing it out the window.

Cheers,
    De Long Lad
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

I was always under the impession that RAM upgrades must be done in pairs. I reckoj if you take the 512MB stick out and put the 2GB one in the primary slot it will work. Maybe I am wrong, but I was alwasy under this impression.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭delonglad

I was always under the impession that RAM upgrades must be done in pairs. I reckoj if you take the 512MB stick out and put the 2GB one in the primary slot it will work. Maybe I am wrong, but I was alwasy under this impression.

Never heard that before but will give it a try. I will try anything at this stage.

Cheers

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

It shouldn't be an issue but some motherboards may not like it, It sounds like your issues are related to faulty memory or a memory problem, take out the 512 module and while the 2gig one is in situe run MemTest86 for a while to verify the new memory isn't faulty!

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭delonglad

yoyo wrote: »
    It shouldn't be an issue but some motherboards may not like it, It sounds like your issues are related to faulty memory or a memory problem, take out the 512 module and while the 2gig one is in situe run MemTest86 for a while to verify the new memory isn't faulty!

Nick

Got her to remove the 2gig and she put the 512 back in and reinstalled vista and it works no problem with the two 512s. Gonna test the 2gig myself on a test system I have.

Thanks for the help.

Advertisement