Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharp EL-W531 - Approved Calculator?

Options
  • 04-10-2011 8:52am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This one:
    ELW531-1.jpg

I assumed it was fine as it is allowed for the Leaving Cert, but my Principles of Finance lecturer was talking about calculators that weren't allowed, and he said any calculators that hold memory when they are turned off are not allowed. This calculator does hold memory when it's turned off - e.g. if I store a value in A, turn it off, switch it on again, A still holds that value. Similarly, I can scroll back through previous calculations done even before I switched the calculator on.
    It doesn't draw graphs or solve cubic equations or anything, but it does have a STAT mode which can calculate correlation and regression coefficients, but I think that's fairly typical of a scientific calculator.

Does UCD have a list of forbidden calculators?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

I have that one, it's not a graphing calculator so I always thought it was grand.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Typically what makes a calculator banned is whether it's "user programmable". This means that you can enter a sequence or macro yourself and use it again. Having lots of fixed functions or subroutines is usually not a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Who's the lecturer?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

The lecturer is Jimmy O'Neill, and I think that's what he said!

Thanks for the answers! I figured it would be ok because it's quite a common type of calculator, and it would be worrying if it was banned as I used it for the Junior, Leaving, and 1st year final exams :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,011 ✭✭✭✭bnt

All the regulations say is "The use of programmable calculators is not permitted during examinations, unless their use is specified on the examination paper by the examiners." That Sharp should be no bother at all. Don't they actually sell it here in the SU shops?

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

991-ES Plus FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

The lecturer is Jimmy O'Neill, and I think that's what he said!

Thanks for the answers! I figured it would be ok because it's quite a common type of calculator, and it would be worrying if it was banned as I used it for the Junior, Leaving, and 1st year final exams :eek:

I'd say it'll be grand. I have that calculator too, and have been using it in exams for the past two years without issue.

Timbuk2, Speaking of Principles of Finance though, have you taken a look at the 1st assignment yet ( due on the 20th )

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Rothmans wrote: »
    Timbuk2, Speaking of Principles of Finance though, have you taken a look at the 1st assignment yet ( due on the 20th )

I've looked at it but I haven't got round to doing it yet, or even deciding on how to do it (I'm falling way behind in Principles of Finance). I'm pretty sure you have to use the discounted growth model in some shape or form!

And it's a maths question and he wrote type it up on an A4 sheet? I wonder did he actually mean type? I'm just going to hand it up written out by pen!

Have you bought the book? I got the book he was talking about 2nd hand (Watson and Head, 5th edition), as he said that was the one to buy and not Brealey/Myers/Higgs, but he keeps referring to the Brealey/Myers/Higgs book, it's very odd :p

Have you finished the assignment? Is it difficult?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

I've looked at it but I haven't got round to doing it yet, or even deciding on how to do it (I'm falling way behind in Principles of Finance). I'm pretty sure you have to use the discounted growth model in some shape or form!

And it's a maths question and he wrote type it up on an A4 sheet? I wonder did he actually mean type? I'm just going to hand it up written out by pen!

Have you bought the book? I got the book he was talking about 2nd hand (Watson and Head, 5th edition), as he said that was the one to buy and not Brealey/Myers/Higgs, but he keeps referring to the Brealey/Myers/Higgs book, it's very odd :p

Have you finished the assignment? Is it difficult?

Yeah, thats what I figured as we're given dividends, growth and capitalisation rate. But I can't for the life of me see where EPS comes into the equation.

Yeah, the typed thing threw me a bit too. I guess I'll do it in pen too.

I haven't bought a book yet for it. Don't think I will. I've been using the 1984 edition of Brealey and Myers from the library :P . They use the same examples in that book that they do in the later editions.

Its a bit of a pain that Jimmy uses half of the material from one book and half from the other as it makes it kinda awkward to work from the one book.

If you make any progress with regard to what we're meant to do in that assignment, throw us a pm, and I'll do likewise :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Ahhhh...Principles of Finance. How I miss thee. Never knowing what you would get thrown at you next....

My advice to everyone is follow the book and follow the tutorials. You could probably safely ignore the lectures.

Do you still have to submit the assignments under the door? :D

• Advertisement

misslt wrote: »
    Do you still have to submit the assignments under the door? :D

Yes, haha! :D

The lectures get surprisingly good attendance though (for now!) - Theatre A is always very close to full!

Advertisement