Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clearing trees from phone line

• 04-10-2011 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

I have been on Digiweb dsl broadband for years, never really had any problems, except for the last few months.

I am having constant disconnects, low speeds etc. It's pretty much unusable. The phone is usable but pretty scratchy/staticy. I have been on to digiweb multiple times, and they get the eircom engineers out. Eircom are now saying that the line is in a bad state, and have said that if I clear the trees and bushes from around the line, they will put a new line in.

The problem is that I live about 3/4 of a mile from the road, up a farm track. That's a lot of clearing to do. Am I really responsible for clearing the line, or are eircom trying to pass the buck?

And if I am responsible for the line, am I able to cancel the Digiweb contract because I don't have a usable service? I have no problem with digiweb, it's eircom who are responsible for the line, but I have no usable broadband.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

If it is a public road then eircom are responsible although you will probably need to poke Comreg a lot to remind them to remind eircom.

The ESB does a lot of tree clearing, they sweep my area every 3-4 years clearing branches that affect the network.

If the road is private it is more than likely your problem but you generally need to get preclearance from the dept of agriculture before you go hacking at trees....by law.

It may be best , and cheaper long term , to slit trench 3/4 mile of Hydrodare pipe and put a pullstring in it...then invite eircom to put their cable in it .

https://www.build4less.ie/index.php?cPath=31_246_262

3/4 mile is 1200m , and the 3/4 inch Hydrodare alone would cost €600. If they ever show up with fibre you are sorted of course. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 29 16bore

Thanks for that.

Unfortunately it is a private road, looks like I am responsible for it. Have a tree felling license already, but it's a lot of work. The digiweb person said " eircom just don't care", which I would agree with. The eircom engineers are sound enough, but they say there's no money to do anything. ESB were around this winter clearing lines, wish eircom would do that.

Just been talking to digiweb (again), we are going to see if I can get a Metro signal. I think there will be too many trees around, but we'll see. I'm out of contract anyway.

Failing that, I might just get the moleplough out. Lots of work as well, but at least it's a bit more permanent.

Advertisement