Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TodayFM text line

• 04-10-2011 10:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

I haven't seen this anywhere so I have a question...

TodayFM changed their text line to 53102 with E-mobile which means I now have to pay for each text I send them instead of it being included in my text bundle...anyway, my problem is that the text line is rubbish. The number of times I text and I get "sending message failed" on my phone. I have no problem texting anyone else incl newstalk who are a similar 53 number...does anyone else have this problem?
    drives me a little mad as I used to be an avid texter but now just cant be bothered.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

I haven't seen this anywhere so I have a question...

TodayFM changed their text line to 53102 with E-mobile which means I now have to pay for each text I send them instead of it being included in my text bundle...anyway, my problem is that the text line is rubbish. The number of times I text and I get "sending message failed" on my phone. I have no problem texting anyone else incl newstalk who are a similar 53 number...does anyone else have this problem?
    drives me a little mad as I used to be an avid texter but now just cant be bothered.

maybe they blocked you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

They wouldn't be able to block a number being sent.

Do you have enough credit on your phone? Are you texting Today FM from the same location as Newstalk? Sounds like an odd question but you could listen to one station at home and the other at work - different locations and potentially different mobile coverage.

When are you texting - for comments or to enter competitions?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

BrianD wrote: »
    They wouldn't be able to block a number being sent.

Do you have enough credit on your phone? Are you texting Today FM from the same location as Newstalk? Sounds like an odd question but you could listen to one station at home and the other at work - different locations and potentially different mobile coverage.

When are you texting - for comments or to enter competitions?

Some stations have a function where they can block numbers (used for pests and abusive texters). They'd have to block the sender because you couldn't just have the sender texting and being charged 30 cent a pop and not knowing that their message wasn't been received.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

Fran1985 wrote: »
    Some stations have a function where they can block numbers (used for pests and abusive texters). They'd have to block the sender because you couldn't just have the sender texting and being charged 30 cent a pop and not knowing that their message wasn't been received.

As far as I'm aware the only block is a filter on the recieving end...meaning it simply won't show up on the system...not that it won't send. Sounds like a network error to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

thanks for all those replies.

no I am not blocked, I'm one of the listeners who gets read out on air and asked to talk on the radio so unlikely...i'm not abusive anyway, i think that much is obvious no? Only yesterday Ray D'Arcy read out one of my texts that got through.

it has been happening ever since they switched to e-mobile and it can be either a competition or just a comment for the reason that i am texting in. And it's not all the time that it fails either...I'm with meteor by the way.

no it's fairly random where and when i text either station. tbh i text todayfm a lot more as i cant really get newstalk at home so in dublin would be when i text both stations and i've had the message fail when i'm in good signal. so yes i agree it's a network error but it seems no one else is experiencing this so? it's just bizarre. i thought it was just because sometimes i might send a long message it fails but it happens with short ones too....i dunno!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

I don't have sending issues but usually only text to enter last word competitions. Stoopid short code numbers get charged extra on my mobile package too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

I am the same - usually only text The Last Word competition but recently the texts won't send, I am on Meteor Bill Pay. It is annoying!

maybe it's a meteor thing so...

catch--22 wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware the only block is a filter on the recieving end...meaning it simply won't show up on the system...not that it won't send. Sounds like a network error to me.

Correct! Most stations access their SMS messages through a web interface similar to an e-mail client. Abusive texters can be flagged and sent to a folder and thus unseen by the presenter/production unless they look for it.

Some sophisticated versions will allow names to be attached to numbers, flag if they are a winner, regular texter etc.

Also, all shortcodes require a "bind" into each mobile operator. Some operators only initiate new "binds" on certain dates in the month. In theory, it is possible that a shortcode might not be accessible by all mobile customers. It is unlikely that anyone would launch a new shortcode with all the major operators on board. Similar an operator could have a tech issue with their bind into the shortcode. There's a lot of connections between your mobile and a radio studio!

BrianD wrote: »
    In theory, it is possible that a shortcode might not be accessible by all mobile customers. It is unlikely that anyone would launch a new shortcode with all the major operators on board. Similar an operator could have a tech issue with their bind into the shortcode. There's a lot of connections between your mobile and a radio studio!

Having said all that, why does it work sometimes and not other times?? Surely if there was a tech issue then it would occur all the time yet yesterday I had a text deliver fine...

• Advertisement

Perhaps drop them a line and tell them the issues that you are having ... maybe an e-mail rather than a text! :D

Advertisement