Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naul exchange

Options
  • 04-10-2011 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi Tony,

We live just outside Naul and are having difficulty getting broadband. The last time we checked with eircom the max speed on the line was 1.5 Mbps, (not really broadband) however, one of the companies we contacted said that the Naul exchange is in the process of been upgraded. Can you confirm whether this is true, is there a timeline and what speed can we expect to get.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Hi Tony,

We live just outside Naul and are having difficulty getting broadband. The last time we checked with eircom the max speed on the line was 1.5 Mbps, (not really broadband) however, one of the companies we contacted said that the Naul exchange is in the process of been upgraded. Can you confirm whether this is true, is there a timeline and what speed can we expect to get.

Thanks

Hi CASEsensitive
    Yes Naul is due to be upgraded to NGB this week, if you PM me your Tel number I can check if your line is on the Naul exchange and approx what speeds you should receive.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The naul exchange being upgraded will probably have no bearing on an existing line with speed restrictions unless the phone line to the exchange itself is being re-routed or replaced. NGB only benefits those people close enough to the exchange to get speeds over 2 or 3 mbps anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

The naul exchange being upgraded will probably have no bearing on an existing line with speed restrictions unless the phone line to the exchange itself is being re-routed or replaced. NGB only benefits those people close enough to the exchange to get speeds over 2 or 3 mbps anyway.

True To_be_confirmed
    it is unlikely to increase the bandwith. In some cases though I have noticed that work done within / around the exchange to facilitate NGN has improved some line quality....
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

That *can* happen though it wouldn't lead to significant improvements unless there were filters or jumper wires that were faulty to begin with. But you're right.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭CASEsensitive

Sorry for my ignorance, but if the exchange has been upgraded to NGB, why would the line be capped at 1.5 Mbps. Is this just something that the customer service people say based on your distance from the exchange? I did ask eircom if they could give me the line stats or check when the last time the line was checked before I committed to a one year contract but the person on the phone didn't know what I was talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Sorry for my ignorance, but if the exchange has been upgraded to NGB, why would the line be capped at 1.5 Mbps. Is this just something that the customer service people say based on your distance from the exchange? I did ask eircom if they could give me the line stats or check when the last time the line was checked before I committed to a one year contract but the person on the phone didn't know what I was talking about.

Hi CASEsensitive,

If you private message mw with your telephone number I can re-test the line and check the broadband test history.

Thanks, Mark

Advertisement