Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100+ Jobs to go at Rigney

• 04-10-2011 10:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭

On front of N&S paper, about 120 jobs to go at Rigney Dolphin....another blow for Waterford. Anyone notice a lot of the jobs announced recently were in Cork, Galway, Kerry and Dublin. I realise these jobs are in the pipeline for months and these companies often have bases already in that area but it just highlights the situation the South-East is in.

Lack of investment & little political power = lack of stable government jobs and FDI.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

Its bad all right ,somebody just told me shaws are on protective notice,and awear might be pulling out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That's been quite well flagged hasn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Seems to be very little light at the end of the tunnel jobwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Max Powers wrote: »
    On front of N&S paper, about 120 jobs to go at Rigney Dolphin....another blow for Waterford. Anyone notice a lot of the jobs announced recently were in Cork, Galway, Kerry and Dublin. I realise these jobs are in the pipeline for months and these companies often have bases already in that area but it just highlights the situation the South-East is in.

Lack of investment & little political power = lack of stable government jobs and FDI.
    Even Tralee are getting jobs ahead of the South East

No offence to Tralee but surely whatever infrastructure they have Waterford would have much more to offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

No offence to Tralee but surely whatever infrastructure they have Waterford would have much more to offer.

They have great roads down there, easy access to Cork airport, Shannon, M8 and better funded local airport. More to the point, they have political clout.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

They have great roads down there, easy access to Cork airport, Shannon, M8 and better funded local airport. More to the point, they have political clout.

Didn't we have a senior minister at the Cabinet table for 7-8 years and that was during the bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

Partizan wrote: »
    Didn't we have a senior minister at the Cabinet table for 7-8 years and that was during the bubble.

Well the senior minister must have been playing with his yarbles under the table cause he didn't do fck all for the area!

Is this true or just a pisstake?

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/article.php?id=102

167.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Definitely true. Sure you can see the shadows from the people in the picture...:pac:

Definitely true. Sure you can see the shadows from the people in the picture...:pac:

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Wasnt there discussion only recently like last week about job opportunities there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Unfortunately it's true Partizan, friend of mine went to sign on last week, ended up queueing for 7 hours. Numerous charities were there handing out food to those queuing because they were there so long!

So what are their elected TDs doing that ours aren't?
    Please bear in mind that none of the Healy-Rae gombeens are in the government anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

Dan133269 wrote: »
    Unfortunately it's true Partizan, friend of mine went to sign on last week, ended up queueing for 7 hours. Numerous charities were there handing out food to those queuing because they were there so long!

So what are their elected TDs doing that ours aren't?
    Please bear in mind that none of the Healy-Rae gombeens are in the government anymore.

I'm sure they are opening their mouths and fighting for their communities and not standing beside their leaders trying to get their picture taken...:mad:

Yes Boss wrote: »
    I'm sure they are opening their mouths and fighting for their communities and not standing beside their leaders trying to get their picture taken...:mad:

Ciara Conway with a huge smile on her face outside TalkTalk was a bit sickening alright, I won't vote for her again after that.

But how does opening their mouths and fighting for their communities bring foreign investment to a particular town? What is the link between Kerry's representatives being in the Dail and that company setting up in Tralee?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VVst3QrqzO8

Interesting to see ex WP and now Ind TD John Halligan at 0.51 in the video canvassing with FG for the Yes vote. Where are those jobs now John? Bit shallow of you to be on the national media bleating on about the job losses at Talk Talk when you pushed the 'Yes to Lisbon Yes to Jobs' disingenious line.

Anyway a friend from Waterford text me to say that Shaws are going into receivership and Debenhams in City Square are also like A-wear rumoured to be upping sticks and leaving.

When will this end?

What did the Lisbon Treaty have to do with job losses in Waterford?

What did the Lisbon Treaty have to do with job losses in Waterford?

The pro-Lisbon parties aided by business groups pushed the disingenious Vote Yes for Jobs line and that if we voted No second time, the sky would fall in. The Yes campaigners were telling auld wans outside of Church that if they voted No, their grandchildren would lose their jobs. As a No campaigner, I got this first hand myself from a number of people.

"lead to thousands of new jobs by restoring confidence in Irelands battered economy" -Quote from Enda Kenny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭julyjane

Yes but Kerry had an "independent" TD who was in bed with FF for years and got the sun, moon and stars for Kerry in exchange for votes on certain issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

Ciara Conway with a huge smile on her face outside TalkTalk was a bit sickening alright, I won't vote for her again after that.

But how does opening their mouths and fighting for their communities bring foreign investment to a particular town? What is the link between Kerry's representatives being in the Dail and that company setting up in Tralee?

The point is - is that they are terrified of stepping out of line or they may be cast aside like Deasy. However, i would like to see them fighting for a fair slice of the cake than cozying up in the party to protect their own future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

Great roads? Tralee to Castleisland , Tralee to Killarney , and the Castleisland bypass other then that the roads are crap. You'd get to Cork airport faster from here then you would from Tralee. The M8 is a good distance away from Tralee also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

your actually forgetting that a major irish yes irish multinational company with a turnover of 5 billion euro is based in tralee kerry group

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 cataclysm

so can this go back to rigney dolphin losing 150 jobs??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

This is the nub of the issue and our impotent politicians are "welcoming" a few bob for a cycle track in Dungarvan. Jesus wept!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Marchandire

I was reading the thread on unions here, and was wondering: are the Rigney Dolphin workers unionised? I worked there about ten years ago and the staff conditions were terrible - the bare minimum required by law and no more.

Do the staff have anyone to represent them in severance/rendundancy talks, or is each staff member on their own?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭uppishhauk

Rigneydolphin lost one of it contracts (Meteor/E-Mobile) to an Indian company who will be based in Cork, of the employees with rigney its either keep your job and move to Cork or become unemployed

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭whats_happenin

I was reading the thread on unions here, and was wondering: are the Rigney Dolphin workers unionised? I worked there about ten years ago and the staff conditions were terrible - the bare minimum required by law and no more.

Do the staff have anyone to represent them in severance/rendundancy talks, or is each staff member on their own?

No they are not unionised. But there is a group of staff that are classed as the employee reps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

No they are not unionised. But there is a group of staff that are classed as the employee reps.

'Employees reps' have the same relevance as students councils in secondary schools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

This sort of comment drives me nuts. Waterford is undergoing a serious jobs crisis and all you can do is score political points against a retired politician of a party all but consigned to oblivion. Who cares what happened 5 years ago, we need solutions now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement