Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bulldozer

Options
  • 04-10-2011 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭

Anyone waiting for it?

I think most hopes that it was going to kill Sandy Bridge are out the window, but from all the jumble of leaked info, dodgy or not, it looks like the 8 core model could trade blows with the 2600k.

Should be out in around 10 days unless they delay it again.

If the high clocks actually help it with gaming and its close to the 2600k I think I'll grab one.. but the gaming scores will really clinch it for me.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Will be interested to see if there will be a price war :P

AMD are known to price aggressively so we could see processor prices fall quickly, at which point THEN I'm interested

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I'd say it would beat the 2600K in multithreaded applications. Doubtful we'll see it keep up in games. That's a lot down to games not making the best use of multiple cores.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

Monotype wrote: »
    I'd say it would beat the 2600K in multithreaded applications. Doubtful we'll see it keep up in games. That's a lot down to games not making the best use of multiple cores.

The gaming performance will be interesting. And the talk on price looks promising as well. If it can offer a decent gaming alternative to the sandybridge then all the delay will have been worth it. Its gas, back in April I was trying to decide if I would buy a Phenom II chip or wait for Bulldozer. Im glad now I didnt have the patience :)

I know E-Bridge is going to be hot on its heals before xmas but I dont think the percentage performance increase intel will offer will match their price and this will allow AMD win back some of the ground its lost in the last 6 months.

Piledriver is due then mid next year - i guess after the full catelogue of bulldozer chips have been released - and this should build on the architecture further.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

The leaked benchmarks of the top end cpu puts it beating the 2600k and intels top end 990 in most things including games so if they are to be believed should be worth a purchase.
    I've decided to pick up a bulldozer upgrade if these benchmarks are accurate and then when the proper bulldozer and ivybridge and both e boards come out next year I will decide on my main rig upgrade then. Also the video of the fx8150 being overclocked to 8.49ghz makes it even more tempting :)
    Bulldozer next year when its am4 socket rather than am3+ which is the ones this month and completely new architecture should be the one to watch as will make amd able to compete fully with intel again.

Seem to have their hands on the 8120 in Ukraine!

http://forum.overclockers.ua/viewtopic.php?uid=2&f=2&t=42451

Dont ask me what they are on about but take a look at cpu-z

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

From what I can gather a lot of the tech sites have had samples for a while but theres an NDA until the 12th when the official release is. While there's nothing official yet, the genereal leaked consensus is that it performs somewhere between the 2500k and 2600k in threaded tasks, and slightly worse than the 2500k in games at stock. It remains to be seen how it overclocks and what the exact pricing on it will be.

deconduo wrote: »
    From what I can gather a lot of the tech sites have had samples for a while but theres an NDA until the 12th when the official release is. While there's nothing official yet, the genereal leaked consensus is that it performs somewhere between the 2500k and 2600k in threaded tasks, and slightly worse than the 2500k in games at stock. It remains to be seen how it overclocks and what the exact pricing on it will be.

Your not going to start putting together AMD builds for people just yet so :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

deejer wrote: »
    Your not going to start putting together AMD builds for people just yet so :D

Well its supposedly aggressively priced under the 2500k so it could be an ideal candidate for budget builders. It remains to be seen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Is it the 8120 that is better than the 2500k and the 8150 is the better than both the 2500k and 2600k or am I wrong with that? The 8150 is the one that overclocked to 8.49ghz for the world record o/c

deceit wrote: »
    Is it the 8120 that is better than the 2500k and the 8150 is the better than both the 2500k and 2600k or am I wrong with that? The 8150 is the one that overclocked to 8.49ghz for the world record o/c

They are meant be at stock speeds of 3.1ghz and 3.4ghz. They seem to be very overclockable. They are able to push out the power anyway so hopefully the frames will follow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Avose

I was about to buy myself an i5 2500k, before this reminded me of these chips, and i was happily surprised at how soon they are released.

Which would you guys expect to perform better for games based on the info we know so far? i5 2500k or the FX-8150? Im also going to be over-clocking no matter which one i buy too, so hopefully the AMD ones have a high ceiling ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

The leaks so far (Ukraine, NL, etc) show a chip that is between the 2600k and 2500k generally, but also with some very strange poor results (slower than a 6 core deneb chip)

The real-world results will be out in a few days

These chips may be great overclockers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Avose

Jonny7 wrote: »
    The leaks so far (Ukraine, NL, etc) show a chip that is between the 2600k and 2500k generally, but also with some very strange poor results (slower than a 6 core deneb chip)

The real-world results will be out in a few days

These chips may be great overclockers though.

I'm really really hoping for better price/performance with the 8150 compared to the 2500k with nice frame rates in games.

Sorta off topic, but would games be able to use all those cores? If a game is programmed with say 4 cores to be expected as standard, what does it do with any more? Does it just dish out the workload evenly?
    Just curious if games must be programmed with 8 cores in mind, or do they go to waste?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Avose wrote: »
    I'm really really hoping for better price/performance with the 8150 compared to the 2500k with nice frame rates in games.

Sorta off topic, but would games be able to use all those cores? If a game is programmed with say 4 cores to be expected as standard, what does it do with any more? Does it just dish out the workload evenly?
    Just curious if games must be programmed with 8 cores in mind, or do they go to waste?
    games only use as many cores as it was programmed to do. that's why everyone had a chuckle when they did a demo of bulldozer recently ... by running Dirt3.... which only uses 3 cores.

AMD has apparently got an interesting thing about it though that completely shuts down cores as fast as Intel's Turbo etc as in milliseconds. should save massive amounts of power and TDP hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So guys. Will it make cheaper builds then 2500k builds?

I know its too early, but amd was always good at showing intel a finger.

I understand that reviews will be public after 12th?

Well I think its supposed to be released on Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

We'll know in two days, that's when the NDA is up.

It isn't looking good, but I'm hoping for the best

So big day tomorrow?

We should see us it a big fail or big woot!

I'm expecting reviews to say, "It's an improvement but still behind Intel. AMD are promising huge leaps in performance with Piledriver/Steamroller". :rolleyes:

Incidentally, AMD's 32nm Opterons for release in 2013 are codenamed "Dublin".

Monotype wrote: »
    I'm expecting reviews to say, "It's an improvement but still behind Intel. AMD are promising huge leaps in performance with Piledriver/Steamroller". :rolleyes:

Incidentally, AMD's 32nm Opterons for release in 2013 are codenamed "Dublin".

Very negative attitude...

If it's on level with 2500k, but twice cheaper and mobo twice cheaper, then bring it on!

In the end of the day I would not be a badge snob. If it's good, I will add it in to my biuld, if not, then 2500k on the list again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Meirleach

So, several reviews out now. Benchmarks seem pretty poor to be honest, which is very very disappointing.

HardOCP did a gaming performance review on a few more modern games and the results look somewhat promising.
    http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/10/11/amd_bulldozer_fx8150_gameplay_performance_review/1

Really not sure if I'll bother upgrade right now, maybe with some Windows and/or Bios updates the performance(or at least the benchmarking performance) will increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Ouch, the reviews are basically saying it sucks. Looks like an i5 for me.

Im a little disappointed to be honest

Based on the reviews and If you are looking for a gaming PC you still have to choose the 2500k. No avoiding the fact!

AMD seem to emphasis the fact that this architecture is for future generations of software that will utilise its additional cores - Which I am sure that it will. But if you are an enthusiast who regulary upgrades your system you want performace now! And it just isnt cutting it with the current generation.

It does seem to be very overclockable but with a big power draw.

Interested in seeing how the below works:
    Without spending a small fortune, users can combine an AMD FX CPU with an AMD 9-series chipset motherboard and AMD Radeon HD 6000 series graphics cards to create the AMD “Scorpius” platform

It seems to do fine in battlefield 3 at least deejer, now if only I could find some ro2 benchmarks for it. :D

Meirleach wrote: »
    So, several reviews out now. Benchmarks seem pretty poor to be honest, which is very very disappointing.

HardOCP did a gaming performance review on a few more modern games and the results look somewhat promising.
    http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/10/11/amd_bulldozer_fx8150_gameplay_performance_review/1

Really not sure if I'll bother upgrade right now, maybe with some Windows and/or Bios updates the performance(or at least the benchmarking performance) will increase.
    How is this disappointing?

In my opinion amd did quite a good job. Dp we really need some new generation processor which will cost 5 million and it won't be used out by games and programs for few years, because developers are not arsed.

What I see here: it brings similar performance of 2500k 2600k ( which is best for gaming at this moment) for way less. Plus it will need cheaper mono too.

This is what pc gaming needs. To make it more affordable for Joe. So for example system that would cost 800eu will go down to 600 eu with this processor ( just example)

This is early stage, so drivers are not ironed out too.

I might be wrong and boards.ie guru will prove me wrong, but I am kind of happy with what it is...

In my opinion amd did quite a good job. Dp we really need some new generation processor which will cost 5 million and it won't be used out by games and programs for few years, because developers are not arsed.

Actually part of AMDs current excuse for the poor benchmarking is that their processor is so next gen that nothing is taking advantage of it properly, and it's a damn good excuse too. Mostly because of the interesting FPU design, there's only 4 of them but they can each handle either a 256bit thread or two 128bit threads. It's just a damn pity nothing really takes advantage of that right now.

I'll probably still end up getting one, and I do hope with bios tweaks, software and OS updates that the overall performance will improve, but I'll probably hold off on upgrading right away(Don't quote me on that though, I am fickle and like shiny things) :o

General consensus is that its pretty good for the encoding, gaming is definitely average but overclocked its slightly faster than overclocked Sandybridge, EXTREMELY slightly. :rolleyes:

I'm surprised at how badly it performs in single threaded processes.
    Idle power consumption is way down, just a little above Sandy bridge but load is ridiculous.
    Good to see that they overclock well.

I think I'd get one over a 2400 and below but I'd have to go with the 2500K in a new system with a permitting budget (unless the extra cores are really needed).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Shocking.

• Advertisement

Prices are cropping up at 200-230 for the 8150. i5 2500k is cheaper, so AMD have priced themselves out of the market imo. Very bad times for AMD.

Advertisement