Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bulldozer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Enderman wrote: »
    Prices are cropping up at 200-230 for the 8150. i5 2500k is cheaper, so AMD have priced themselves out of the market imo. Very bad times for AMD.

Wasn't that in dollars? Or is it usual bull**** to bend over eurozone 230eu=230dollars

Is they will be more expensive then 2500k, then they are ****ed. Totally agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Wasn't that in dollars? Or is it usual bull**** to bend over eurozone 230eu=230dollars

Is they will be more expensive then 2500k, then they are ****ed. Totally agree.
    Not cheap compared to the 2500k
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=701&catid=6&subid=1942

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

Pity they only releasing the FX-8150 today. Would be interesting to see the performance of the other CPU's in the line up with their big overclocks

FX-6100: Six cores, 3.3 GHz CPU base (3.6 GHz Turbo Core, 3.9 GHz Max Turbo), $165 suggested retail price (U.S.)

FX-4100: Four cores, 3.6 GHz CPU base (3.7 GHz Turbo Core, 3.8 GHz Max Turbo), $115 suggested retail price (U.S.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

The price will drop down in a few weeks. They'd really want the lower 8-core (FX-8120) below the 2500K, although there's a FX-8100 coming too.

The 6 and 4 cores don't look great, judging by low thread tests of the 8150. Barely a replacement of the Phenoms, worse performance per clock but better power consumption and overclocking. The 4100 might do someone who is trying to stretch a low budget and will overclock.

yup, 200 pounds for 8150. 2500k is 167 pounds... AMD is ****ed. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

well.... that was disappointing.

even though I already jumped ship to the 2500K, I was still looking forward to this and I do like AMD as a company.

the 8150 is €250 on HWVS. not in stock so hopefully its just a place holder.
    it also falls into the AM3 heading, which could confuse some people :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I'm hugely disappointed with these chips. I was hoping I could finaly justify getting an amd cpu again in my main rig as i've always liked the company :(. Looks like I will have to just stick with my i7's until next year and see if the new ivybridge and new bulldozer am4 are not disappointments like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Lowest EU launch prices so far

FX-8150 - 224 euros
    FX-6100 - 160 euros
    FX-4100 - 109 euros

Anyone into gaming is far better off getting an i5 2500k

Anyone into multithreaded can get better value with the x6 1100, which the BD fails to beat in quite a few benchmarks (pretty shocking really)

I was waiting for this one, but overall its a disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I'm curious now though from reading more would this be a good cpu for a home server that runs a vm esx server with 13 servers installed as the cores would help I think? If it is I could be tempted to pick one up to replace my x58 server with it and put 16gb ram in it?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

it is interesting that the 'modules ' on the 4 and 6 core are locked down 8150/20s. potentially unlockable cores might make these worthwhile afterall if you get a cheapish 4100 and do a full unlock.

no motherboard vendors support the idea yet and AMD said it won't work but that's what they said for the last 2 generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Avose

I have to say its a massive dissapointment.. I love AMD as a company in the past, but its not good this time. Higher price than a 2500k AND worse performance in games?? :/
    totally confused at how a completely new generation is so underwhelming, and im gonna have to give my cash to intel... Damn...

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Meirleach

Avose wrote: »
    I have to say its a massive dissapointment.. I love AMD as a company in the past, but its not good this time. Higher price than a 2500k AND worse performance in games?? :/
    totally confused at how a completely new generation is so underwhelming, and im gonna have to give my cash to intel... Damn...

Just a note, the gaming performance being worse seems to depend on the game

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1285/pg10/amd-fx-8150-black-edition-8-core-processor-vs-core-i7-2600k-review-deus-ex-human-revolution.html

Interesting both the hardwareheaven and HardOCP reviews where it did okay, were not testing it in a Crosshair V, most of the lower performing reviews were using that board.

If it does turn out that the Crosshair V is bottlenecking the chip I will be so pissed, it's the board I have :o

• Registered Users Posts: 83,309 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Are the performances being compared when its coupled with an HD 6800/6900 series card? Apparently it's supposed to do some Voltron ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭DermotOH

So basically.... Stick with the 2500k

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Avose

DermotOH wrote: »
    So basically.... Stick with the 2500k

Yup, i just ordered my 2500k build 20 minutes ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

When Bulldozer prices fall through the roof due to them not selling and, believe me this will happen quickly as the reviews have been so bad, at what price point would you consider buying one?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭kev_like

When Bulldozer prices fall through the roof due to them not selling and, believe me this will happen quickly as the reviews have been so bad, at what price point would you consider buying one?

All depends on how much that price drops to :P

that is the thing.

Since down of times we all knew:

INTEL - expensive, but powerfull
    AMD - cheap and best bang for your money.

AMD tryed to be INTEL, and now it will pay for it. They priced it as intel, but forgot to add performance... :rolleyes:

The only thing, that can save them - baldly undercut Intel and get back in to its " bang for the money " world.

Lets play a waiting game...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Meirleach

that is the thing.

Since down of times we all knew:

INTEL - expensive, but powerfull
    AMD - cheap and best bang for your money.
    That's actually wrong though, waay way back, the original fx and AMD64 chips were miles ahead of Intel....and priced to match!

Admittedly it has been far to long since then, which is a massive shame as more competition in the high end would be good for business, or at least consumers.

based on everything I have read I am better off sticking with my 965 rather than updating to Bulldozer at the moment.

So will be at least waiting for "Piledriver" before upgrading

Meirleach wrote: »
    That's actually wrong though, waay way back, the original fx and AMD64 chips were miles ahead of Intel....and priced to match!

Admittedly it has been far to long since then, which is a massive shame as more competition in the high end would be good for business, or at least consumers.

yup, true, but it was 5 millions years ago :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Meirleach wrote: »

It's not that far back, there's not need to make me feel old... although it is a long time in the technology world. At least when the FX-57 was nearly €1K, you could still buy an opteron for under €200 and overclock to the same speeds... actually, that's the same price as a 2500K. I'm worried that the K processors are just a step in the phasing of locking down CPUs entirely. At least when overclocked, Bulldozer beats a 2500, maybe a 2600 so Intel can't afford to lock down for another while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Bring back the days of pentium 3 vs. athlon thunderbird

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

When Bulldozer prices fall through the roof

Wait, what? Are you in topsy-turvy land?

Are our floors safe? :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Monotype wrote: »
    It's not that far back, there's not need to make me feel old... although it is a long time in the technology world. At least when the FX-57 was nearly €1K, you could still buy an opteron for under €200 and overclock to the same speeds... actually, that's the same price as a 2500K. I'm worried that the K processors are just a step in the phasing of locking down CPUs entirely. At least when overclocked, Bulldozer beats a 2500, maybe a 2600 so Intel can't afford to lock down for another while.

From what I was seeing a stock 2500k was better than a stock bulldozer for gaming? Do it really OC so much to be better than both the 2500k and 2600k, if they are OCed?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

From what I was seeing a stock 2500k was better than a stock bulldozer for gaming? Do it really OC so much to be better than both the 2500k and 2600k, if they are OCed?

AMD_FX-8150-202.jpg

Stick to the 2500k for gaming

Bulldozer is capable of reaching incredibly high overclocks, an enthusiast (using liquid nitrogen) got it to a smidge over 8 ghz recently.

Very power hungry though, in one review on a 4.6 overclock it was using 432 watts.

Jonny7 wrote: »
    Very power hungry though, in one review on a 4.6 overclock it was using 432 watts.

Yep - saw 500w on a 5ghz overclock

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Jonny7 wrote: »
    AMD_FX-8150-202.jpg

Stick to the 2500k for gaming

Bulldozer is capable of reaching incredibly high overclocks, an enthusiast (using liquid nitrogen) got it to a smidge over 8 ghz recently.

I love how the person who came up with the chart put superPI at the top of the list with the big huge -100%. That program was written exclusively for Intel CPUs and doesn't even really work on AMD ones. Sure Bulldozer still sucks, but its not THAT bad :P

Advertisement