Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bulldozer

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

I havent been following this for all too long, only a couple of years (I was a late convert to the pc enthusiast community), but I take it that the 2500k-2600k were a huge leap forward in terms of anything that has been offered previously in terms of price and performance. The result is that for todays main stream gaming rigs this is the CPU of choice and the one all others are compared to.

I guess AMD realised that they would not be able to compete with this CPU head on and so are trying to shift their focus by offering more from their CPU. I appreciate that this card struggles to compete with Intels current generation of chips and may also struggle against ivy-bridge but all the hype aside it can be a good platform to build from in terms of what future generations of this architecture can offer.

I was one of those people who bought into the hype (AMD really did a bad job here I think) that we were going to see a chip that knocked that cocky 2500k of its perch and so was disappointed when I saw the results on Wednesday. But maybe we shouldnt focus too much on this chip and rather on the future of the architecture and what it can offer. The only problem is that it maybe a year behind where it should be.

My two cent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

AMD responds http://blogs.amd.com/play/2011/10/13/our-take-on-amd-fx/
    How will the market take all this in? http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericsavitz/2011/10/13/amd-now-verging-on-irrelvancy-analyst-says/
    AMD need's to survive this train wreck to keep prices down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I've seen a few reviews saying the 8150 beats 2600k standard and overclocked in battlefield. This might temp me to get one as this is the only pc game i will play for the next few months and it gives a sign that the cpu might be better for future games?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

deceit wrote: »
    I've seen a few reviews saying the 8150 beats 2600k standard and overclocked in battlefield. This might temp me to get one as this is the only pc game i will play for the next few months and it gives a sign that the cpu might be better for future games?

Unless you're interested in bragging rights just because its so-called 'octacore' and you want an extra bit on your electricity bills, be my guest.

Enderman wrote: »
    Unless you're interested in bragging rights just because its so-called 'octacore' and you want an extra bit on your electricity bills, be my guest.

Are they really that bad? Havent had much time to read reviews with college and work, only what i've heard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

From what I was seeing a stock 2500k was better than a stock bulldozer for gaming? Do it really OC so much to be better than both the 2500k and 2600k, if they are OCed?

No,... don't worry about your 2500K.

My point was that if there were no overclockable Intel CPUs - ie., only 2500 and 2600 and no 2500K or 2600K then AMD would be at an advantage. It's clear that Intel are heading for a completely locked series where you pay for every bit of power you get. They can not do this presently as AMD's series would be much more appealing, so Bulldozer still helps Intel customers (but not as much as if they crushed the opposition).

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Meirleach

It does perform quite well in bf3, but BF3 is a GPU limited game Deceit. So yes it'll play that fine, and the power issues don't really exist if you're not over clocking.

Ideally you'd want to see benchmarks for BF3 With a trifire or SLI setup, the only ones I've found with the 8150 have been single card solutions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Gah :o I wanted Intel and AMD to have a price war :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Monotype wrote: »
    No,... don't worry about your 2500K.

My point was that if there were no overclockable Intel CPUs - ie., only 2500 and 2600 and no 2500K or 2600K then AMD would be at an advantage. It's clear that Intel are heading for a completely locked series where you pay for every bit of power you get. They can not do this presently as AMD's series would be much more appealing, so Bulldozer still helps Intel customers (but not as much as if they crushed the opposition).
    my 2500k is safe :D
    Then we are quite lucky that they have a competitor at all, with no viable alternative we would get screwed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Yeah I read this last night. Very interesting. There's some other results cropping up with the same thing. Puts AMD in a better alright but the wattage in OC is still beyond a joke.

Yeah I read this last night. Very interesting. There's some other results cropping up with the same thing. Puts AMD in a better alright but the wattage in OC is still beyond a joke.

The power issues could be solved in this new revision there talking about though??
    If they do it becomes more appealing than both the k intel cpus then.

In that case they should have delayed the release again until the issues were sorted, instead of this half-arsed release that was hyped up

In that case they should have delayed the release again until the issues were sorted, instead of this half-arsed release that was hyped up

Well in fairness if it beats the 2500k in most things and 2600k in some other things I wouldnt call it half arsed (If the asus issue is true). They had to bring the cpu's out as they where under alot of pressure to get them out and thats probably why the mistake with the asus and power issue was allowed to happen. As soon as the new revision comes out I will pick one of the cpu's up and i'm going to order a gigabyte 990fxa ud5 and get everything ready for the build for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

From the same thread with a review with a Gigabyte board and ATI graphics

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/amd-fx-8150.html

Weird, in this one it doesn't top the 2500k in any test. This is turning out to be one very erratic processor.

Totally erratic displays everywhere. Also lol at 1 Sandybridge core + HT beats 2 Bulldozer cores in tests

t4.png

Jonny7 wrote: »
    From the same thread with a review with a Gigabyte board and ATI graphics

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/amd-fx-8150.html

Weird, in this one it doesn't top the 2500k in any test. This is turning out to be one very erratic processor.

Never noticed this one. If all reviews are too be believed then would have no idea what is going on with the cpu's. I think I'm going to have to play the waiting game and use my i7 until find out whats happening with these before I make my decision to go 2500k or fx8150. I might as well just get an ssd for that machine watercool it again :)

If you're currently on an i7 of either generation, I don't see why you would bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

A few people now are saying that there might be a L1 cache bug on the processor

http://www.overclock.net/amd-cpus/1140235-rma-my-am3-mobo-go-1155-a-2.html

If you're currently on an i7 of either generation, I don't see why you would bother.

I plan on dedicating this machine to be a workstation and take out my gpu and put a cheap quadro in it and use it for things such as programming, photoshop, vm workstation for when I need more vm's than my i7 esx server can handle on its own etc.
    Then I would build a much higher spec machine in my little devil case basing it on either a 2500k, fx8150 or sandybridge-e cpu (but there unlocked cpu prices are crazys). Its lying empty at the moment and would want to watercool everything in it for a high spec gaming rig as it has space for 3 480mm rads.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Advertisement