Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Autobiography you ever read.

• 04-10-2011 11:18am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭

I haven't read many but Andre Agassi's would have to be my favourite. It was interesting to get his perspective on how tough the ATP circuit is for a professional tennis player and the painful childhood he had to endure from his Father pushing him to be a better player. Also the wig he wore was quite funny.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Chris Jericho's first book was awesome. As was Mick Foley's first two.

Being honest, I've not read an autobiogarphy one which wasnt about a wrestler though :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Nelson Mandela ' Long Walk to Freedom '

Wonderful book, the english is just wonderful , and a very inspirational story.

99% of autobiographies are ghost written c*ap , terrible english and full of chitter chatter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Alan Partridge's. Pure brilliance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Mein Kampf. :nazitrollface:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I actually really enjoyed Jackie Chan's autobiography and it's the only one i've read more than once

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭Hogey007

Paul Mc Grath's.

Gripping from start to finish, quite unbelievable some of the things that happened him. A great read even if you've no interest in football or sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Ricky Tomlinsons is a great read.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Not ready many yet

Richards Branson's is very interesting he's pulled off some crazy stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 drunknmunky_21

Lance Armstrongs it's not about the bike book is the best I've ever read. Very inspirational

• Registered Users Posts: 5 DANJOMULL

+1 on Paul McGrath's. Anthony Keidis' of the Red Hot Chilli Peppers is a serious contender as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 drunknmunky_21

Lance Armstrongs it's not about the bike book is the best I've ever read. Very inspirational

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭cosmicfart

the Bible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Dan Breen: My Fight for Irish Freedom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Warren Buffetts; The Snowball

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

cosmicfart wrote: »
    the Bible

Its great science fiction alright
    ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Katie Price's 3rd autobiography 'Pushed to the Limit' was brilliant.....a true wordsmith.

I'm hoping her 4th autobiography is as gripping as the other 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭Air_Bass

Mark Oliver Everett (from Eels) : Things The Grandchildren Should Know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Another vote for Paul McGrath's book. A phenominal read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

humanji wrote: »
    Alan Partridge's. Pure brilliance!
    Bouncing back, I just missed out before it went to pulp. Can I borrow yours?

Cabaal wrote: »
    ;)

how dare u, its actually a real life account of Felix the Yeti and his adventures through purgatory

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Cabaal wrote: »
    ;)

I trust you've read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Paul McGraths is great, a fantastic human story regardless of sport or interest in sport

I have to mention Roald Dahls Boy and Going Solo aswell

Agassi's is on the list, I've heard a couple of people say it's their favourite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

cosmicfart wrote: »
    how dare u, its actually a real life account of Felix the Yeti and his adventures through purgatory

I see you have a long and glorious career in comedy writing. I'd e-mail Ricky Gervais if I were you. He needs all the help he can get.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

Although I hate to admit it, Alex Ferguson's previous one has been an excellent read, Keegans aswell was very good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

+1 for Paul McGrath & Anthony Kiedis, Sharon Osbournes is an interesting read as well. For any Man Utd fans, Roy Keanes' and Alex Ferguson's are both great reads. Mr Nice - Howards Marks autobiography is also very entertaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Sheryl Cole, lots of pictures mmmm :D

Ooops Cheryl with a "C"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Muckie wrote: »
    Sheryl Cole, lots of pictures mmmm :D

If you had bothered to read it you would have noticed that it is Cheryl Cole :)

orourkeda wrote: »
    I see you have a long and glorious career in comedy writing. I'd e-mail Ricky Gervais if I were you. He needs all the help he can get.

just give him a copy of the Bible, plenty of hilarious material in there mate

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭herosa

I found one recently that I wasnt expecting to be any good. Do you know that tv program How clean is your house? With the two women Kim and Aggie? Well I was stuck at a train station recently searching for something to read on the train.The selection of books was really poor and as a last resort I bought the autobiography of the blonde one. Its called Unbeaten by Kim Woodburn and its excellent. She has had one hell of a life.I have never looked at her the same way since since reading it. Highly recommended even if you are not remotely interested in the tv program

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Aside from political ones Dirk Benedict's (The A Team and Battlestar Gallactica) "Confessions of a kamikaze cowboy" is a good read. It's about how he got prostate cancer when he was in his twenties and cured himself through a macrobiotic diet.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Yet another +1 for Paul McGraths autobiography. Its a very very good read and amazing what he went through in life and still managed to do what he did.
    I have very little interest in soccer but thats a great read.

I also ready Lance Armstrong's one. Again, a great read and amazing story about his recovery but if the allegations about his drug use turns out to be true, then my opinion of him will drop drastically and that book will be nothing more than fiction..

I recently read Alan Sugar's one, not inspirational as such but an entertaining read all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Frank Skinner's.... Jesus it's honest, often a bit too honest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭Hogey007

brummytom wrote: »
    Frank Skinner's.... Jesus it's honest, often a bit too honest!

Very good read, being a comic he made it very amusing too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

howard marks - mr nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Charles Montgomery Burns

Will There Ever Be a Rainbow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

Crashed and Byrned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Jim Moir AKA Vic Reeves: 'Me:Moir'

Ace book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

This is pretty auto-biographical but not technically an autobiography :

A Mad World, My Masters: Tales from a Traveller's Life, by John Simpson.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mad-World-My-Masters-Travellers/dp/0330355678

I think a lot of P.J.O'Rourke and Hunter S.Thompson's writings can be pretty autobiographical too.

I'd also include 'The Forgotten Soldier', 'Panzer Commander' (by Hans Von Luck), & 'Panzer General' (by Guderian).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Johnny Rotten: No Blacks, No Dogs, No Irish

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

"Cash" by Johnny Cash - fantastic book

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

John Joseph, the evolution of a cro-magnon.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭EggsAckley

David Nivan's The Moon's a balloon and Errol Flynn's My Wicked, wicked ways are fantastically entertaining reads. Probably mostly bollocks but brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

"The Dirt" - Motley Crue. The best rock book out there, brilliant written and put together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

all of Spike Milligan's autobiographies are excellent, the most fascinating life I've read about.

Peter Kay's are pretty damn funny too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

christeb wrote: »
    "The Dirt" - Motley Crue. The best rock book out there, brilliant written and put together.

Best thing I've ever read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Michael Caine

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Johnny Cash

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Dessie Farrell's is the only book I've read twice. Really great autobiography. Tony Adams' was good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

OJ Simpson If I DID IT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

As mentioned previously

Back from the Brink by Paul McGrath, such an honest book, rare to see someone own up to their own failings.
    Cash by Johnny Cash, I loved the way it was written, in the same way he spoke, reading it I coulkd almost hear him saying the words.
    Mr Nice by Howard Marks, God knows how much of it is true, but its a hell of a read.

but also Shooting History by Jon Snow of ITN and Channel 4, obligatory for anyoine with an interest in politicsa or surrent affairs and a great read for everyone else.

Inside Out by Nick Mason of Pink Floyd, good insight into Syd Barrets involvement in the band and his demise too.

Margrave of the Marshes by John Peel, especially poignant as he passed away suddenly while writing it, his family finished it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement