Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Up with the barricades..

Options
  • 04-10-2011 11:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭

...What is actually meant by that sentence?

For example Tommy Owens say in Shadow of a gunman,

Why isn’t every man in Ireland out with the IRA?
    Up with the barricades,
    Up with the barricades,

What is he talking about?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

It's a call to arms. A barricade is basically an improvised wall made of whatever you've got handy, to either stop people getting from one side to the other. See Wikipedia for more info.

In the context of the quote you posted, it's an exhortation to take up arms and forcefully resist occupation. A more aggressive version of "batten down the hatches", if you like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Exactly. 'Over the top' was a world war one reference to men jumping over 'the top' of the trenches and out into no mans land (Where most inevitably perished) Barricades were an urban thing, I always think of the revolutionary scenes at the end of 'Les Miserables' when I hear of barricades. It seems to sum up a hopeless cause against dramatically superior forces. To me, at least.

Advertisement