Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best route to Australia for older people?

Options
  • 04-10-2011 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

I live in Brisbane and my parents (both in their late sixties) are thinking of coming out here for a visit - prob for around 4/5 weeks. I am little nervous about the length of the flight, the longest they have ever travelled is probably a trip to the Canaries!

Has anyone have any opinions on the best route to get here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭The Rook

Well, back in 2001 my Mum & Dad (who was in his 60s and had just recovered from Cancer) travelled with us from Dublin to Perth and we all stopped off in Singapore (stayed in a hotel called the Marina Mandarin) for 5 days before making the second leg of the journey to Perth.

They both loved Singapore and it broke the journey up really well, and there was no jet lag effects at all when we reached Perth.

That's just our experiences but I'd recommend it to anyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

+1 for Singapore, a lovely, safe place for them to spend a day or two. I'd recomend Singapore air too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

Another +1 for a few days stop-over in Singapore to break up the journey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Irish Slaves for Europe

its still a hell of a journey from dublin to singapore, they may be better staying overnight somewhere thats mid way between dublin and brisbane, like dubai

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

its still a hell of a journey from dublin to singapore, they may be better staying overnight somewhere thats mid way between dublin and brisbane, like dubai

dubai is seven hours out of 21 to australia , singapore is in or around twelve , singapore is the obvious half way point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

Dubai is a great stopover to WA. Both Singapore and Dubai are can be expensive stop over. My favourite is KL but not for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Irish Slaves for Europe

irishh_bob wrote: »
    dubai is seven hours out of 21 to australia , singapore is in or around twelve , singapore is the obvious half way point

those flight times are way off, no way is singapore 12 hours, it would be about 16 hours, plus I don't think there is any direct flight to singapore which means you'll need to stop in frankfurt or london which will add a few more hours on top of that

those flight times are way off, no way is singapore 12 hours, it would be about 16 hours, plus I don't think there is any direct flight to singapore which means you'll need to stop in frankfurt or london which will add a few more hours on top of that

i meant from london , wasnt including the 90 min dublin to london leg

i flew from london to sydney via bangkok a number of years ago , london to bangkok was 11 hours exactly and bangkok to sydney was 9 hours straight , singapore isnt anymore than two hours from bangkok if its even that , i dont count hanging around airports , in the air alone

ellaq wrote: »
    Dubai is a great stopover to WA. Both Singapore and Dubai are can be expensive stop over. My favourite is KL but not for everyone.

is thart kuala lumpur ?

its reasonably priced ?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

KL is so much cheaper than Singapore and Air Asia has really cheap flights (talking less than $10 per flight one-way) onward from KL to different parts of Malaysia. I find Singapore expensive but I have 3 kids.

• Advertisement

ellaq wrote: »
    KL is so much cheaper than Singapore and Air Asia has really cheap flights (talking less than $10 per flight one-way) onward from KL to different parts of Malaysia. I find Singapore expensive but I have 3 kids.

whats the city like in terms of sight seeing , is it up there with bangkok ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Huge vote for Singapore here too; and Singapore airlines. They usually/ often have deals you can get for really good hotels if you fly with them ; I got great deals on a week in a 5 star resort in Singapore and on a stay in Vietnam because I'd flown with SA. They also do freebies like city tours, transfers, vouchers for discounts to Singapore zoo ( amazing) & lids of touristy things in the city. Would highly recommend checking them out.
    S is a great city too for a stopover holiday; you can easily fill in 4 or 5 days, and I found it extremely good value/ dare I say it inexpensive! It's been 2 years since I've been there . Hope thathelps.

BTW; I hear that Air Asia legroom is built for Aisans!!! This came from someone who is a petite size10 and about 5 ft 6. So ifyou don't want your folk crammed like sardines on a long haul flight this might be something to check up on!!!! Some airlines give seat space measurements. Best of luck!

Advertisement