Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OZ spouse visa

Options
  • 04-10-2011 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Hi folks,

A quick question to anybody that may be in the know.

Myself and my girlfriend have been together for over 2 years, living together and joint account etc.

She has a great job based in Dublin and has been offered to head over to OZ with her company for a few years if she accepts. I have been working in the same company in Ireland for the last 3 years and all was going well until recently we were told redundancies may be on the cards.

Would anybody know if I could piggy back on her visa to get over to OZ? I have already used a working holiday visa so that is not going to be a runner. I have trawled through a load of websites but I just cant find the info! Also my occupation is not on the skilled migrant list.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Hi folks,

A quick question to anybody that may be in the know.

Myself and my girlfriend have been together for over 2 years, living together and joint account etc.

She has a great job based in Dublin and has been offered to head over to OZ with her company for a few years if she accepts. I have been working in the same company in Ireland for the last 3 years and all was going well until recently we were told redundancies may be on the cards.

Would anybody know if I could piggy back on her visa to get over to OZ? I have already used a working holiday visa so that is not going to be a runner. I have trawled through a load of websites but I just cant find the info! Also my occupation is not on the skilled migrant list.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Cheers

Mod Yes, you are well capable of being a defacto. Please check out http://www.immi.gov.au/ (do a search for 'de facto') for the criteria
    e.g. http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/35relationship.htm
    457 is more relaxed than PR (sponsored migration) but either way you are eligible

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭john kinsella

hussey wrote: »
    Mod Yes, you are well capable of being a defacto. Please check out http://www.immi.gov.au/ (do a search for 'de facto') for the criteria
    e.g. http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/35relationship.htm
    457 is more relaxed than PR (sponsored migration) but either way you are eligible

Thanks very much Hussey,

I just looked at that and they say
    Sponsorship

You must be sponsored by an eligible sponsor. An eligible sponsor is an Australian citizen or permanent resident, or an eligible New Zealand citizen, who undertakes sponsorship obligations. Generally, the sponsor is the partner of the applicant.

Would my girlfriend when she gets sponsored be classed as a permanent resident?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

Your girlfriend will receive sponsorship from the sponsor.

You can get added to your girlfriends sponsorship as her defacto.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Would my girlfriend when she gets sponsored be classed as a permanent resident?

Doubt it.

I would look at http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/sbs/eligibility-family.htm

as that's the usual for 457 that's what you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭john kinsella

Thanks all! Looks like the 457 could be the runner so.

Really appreciate your help. Huge weight off my shoulders!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Sponsorship doesnt give your girlfriend permanent residency. If her employer decides to terminate the contract your girlfriend has 28 days to find a new employer in the same job line (I think worth checking this bit yourself) and get the sponsorship transferred to the new company. Otherwise you both will be deported back home.

However, after two years of being on the 457 visa your girlfriend can apply for residency.

I know that much, but in regards de facto others would know a ton more.
    Question
    Do I have to work in Australia for 2 years on a Subclass 457 visa before I can apply for a permanent visa?

Answer
    The answer is generally “NO” providing you have formal qualifications to support your occupation such as a trade qualification or degree and you have enough points to qualify for either a skilled independent visa or a skilled family sponsored visa application. If this is the case you can apply at any time for a permanent visa application. If you are 10 or less points short on the required number of points needed for a permanent visa application you will get 10 points as soon as you have worked for one (1) year in Australia. However, if you do not have a formal qualification you can only apply for permanent residency under the current Australian Immigration Law if you have worked for two (2) years in an occupation in Australia. After the first two years on the Subclass 457 visa the applicant will require a further three (3) year sponsorship from an Australian employer to apply for a permanent residency visa.

http://www.sabona.com.au/articles_detail.ews?articles_detail.ewdid=254

I left out some details but that quote and website explains it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If she has been offer to head over for a few years, then it is a 457 Standard business sponsorship, which is a temporary residency visa, not a permanant residency visa (unlike Employer nominated sponsorship migration visa)

you can go defacto on this and your qualifications aren't relevant. Basically, you could be a house husband whose had everythign handed to him and it would still be fine.
    Best of luck with the application

Advertisement