Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Announce the 910XT

• 04-10-2011 12:53pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/2011/10/the-ultimate-multisport-training-experience-garmin-forerunner-910xt.html

How long before the swimming stuff is actually accurate? New features on garmins are usually a bit crap until they release a few updates...
    Whether you wear a wetsuit while participating in amateur triathlons, a life-vest while kayaking down river, or have a leash strapped between you and your paddle-board, we have the perfect device for you! Today we announced the Forerunner 910XT – the only all-in-one GPS-enabled device that provides detailed swim metrics and tracks distance, speed/pace, elevation and heart rate for running and cycling. The 910XT sports a sleek profile allowing users to easily slide wetsuits on and off, and has an on-board barometric altimeter for improved elevation data, all without sacrificing the size of its easy-to-read display. The Forerunner 910XT was announced in preparation for the Triathlon World Championship in Kona, HI, October 8, 2011, where it will be prominently displayed.

“Having one solution that provides athletes with all the metrics they are after is what the Forerunner 910XT is all about,” said Dan Bartel, Garmin’s vice president of worldwide sales. “Seeing swimming metrics such as stroke count, stroke rate and stroke identification, and seeing running and cycling metrics such as pace, distance, heart rate and power, place the Forerunner 910XT in a class of its own.”

With Forerunner 910XT, swimming will never be the same again. Designed for both open water and pool swimming, Forerunner 910XT is water resistant to 50 meters and is Garmin’s first multisport watch to offer extensive swim metrics, including swim distance, stroke identification, stroke count and pool lengths. It also computes a user’s swolf score – the sum of the time for one length plus the number of strokes for that length. For example, 30 seconds plus 15 strokes equals a swolf score of 45. Swolf is a measurement of swimming efficiency and, like golf, lower is better. The 910XT’s robust design and easy operation make it suited for other water sports, including paddle boarding, kayaking and windsurfing to name a few. To see Forerunner 910XT in action, go to www.garmin.com/multi .

When an athlete is ready to jump out of the water and onto the bike, Forerunner 910XT moves easily from wrist to handlebar with the optional quick release and bike mounts. Forerunner 910XT categorizes multisport activities in one workout and can also log transition time in the process, so triathletes can analyze their performance from start to finish. And with up to 20 hours of battery life, even hardcore endurance athletes can push themselves further than ever.
    Forerunner 910XT uses a vibration motor for alerts such as heart rate, pace/speed and distance when audible tones cannot be heard (heart monitor included in some bundles or available separately). With the heart rate monitor, Forerunner 910XT also allows athletes to track their training intensity via the Training Effect feature. By inputting key information into the watch, a user can measure the impact of an exercise regimen on their aerobic fitness.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭slayer91

DC Rainmaker has got his hands on the new Garmin 910XT. The replacement for the 310XT

Here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Izoard

http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/2011/10/the-ultimate-multisport-training-experience-garmin-forerunner-910xt.html

How long before the swimming stuff is actually accurate? New features on garmins are usually a bit crap until they release a few updates...

You are worrying about functionality? :)

Looks a lot better than the orange and grey laptop that is on my wrist at the moment...I'm in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

slayer91 wrote: »
    DC Rainmaker has got his hands on the new Garmin 910XT. The replacement for the 310XT

Here

Mod: I have merged your thread with an already existing one just in case there is some confusion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

New shiny object....

I NEED it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I have a Garmin 310xt which I use for run pace
    I have a SwimSense which I use in the pool for swim pace and stroke identification.

I love the SwimSense but hate the way it is wired for data transfer. Combining both is excellent - I want one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Izoard wrote: »
    You are worrying about functionality? :)

Looks a lot better than the orange and grey laptop that is on my wrist at the moment...I'm in!

Just wondering it the swim readings, especially indoors, will be accurate. Not that it should really matter that much, they'd be more accurate than the other readings I would have for most of those things. :)

The only thing it seems to add that the 310 doesn't have is the swim functions?Granted, I haven't made full use of the 310's functions so I'm probably wrong with that.

I like the 310. It's pretty. :(

I'm a like my stats though, so I will probably buy this...

Just wondering it the swim readings, especially indoors, will be accurate. Not that it should really matter that much, they'd be more accurate than the other readings I would have for most of those things. :)

The only thing it seems to add that the 310 doesn't have is the swim functions?Granted, I haven't made full use of the 310's functions so I'm probably wrong with that.

I like the 310. It's pretty. :(

I'm a like my stats though, so I will probably buy this...

Assuming it works the same as the SwimSense it works off knowing how long the pool is and it then dictates the turns. Also distinguishes frontcrawl from backstroke and so on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

How much, and when?

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=142&pID=90671

Just in time for the new year...

Around the 400 mark probably? Check out the ebay auctions after christmas for unwanted gifts. I got my 310 for €250, boxed and brand new from ebay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=142&pID=90671

Just in time for the new year...

Around the 400 mark probably? Check out the ebay auctions after christmas for unwanted gifts. I got my 310 for €250, boxed and brand new from ebay.

I reckon I'd be shot. I got a very much wanted b-day gift of a 310XT last Friday. Replace it in 3 months = a dead BTH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Nice! Can't read DC's site though, blocked. Does he do a 310 vs 910?

Nice! Can't read DC's site though, blocked. Does he do a 310 vs 910?

In short.

Smaller, lighter, black instead of manky orange.

Main difference being the SwimSense functionality integrated.

Emailing you the page as a pdf (gmail, can do other if you want)

Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

tunney wrote: »
    In short.

Smaller, lighter, black instead of manky orange.

Main difference being the SwimSense functionality integrated.

Emailing you the page as a pdf (gmail, can do other if you want)

Dave

Cool, can you email it to the other thanks, lap top on the blink at the mo' so I'm out of gmail land for a while. Cheers Tunney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Hmmmmm

God damn it a new gadget!
    I want too... However have just one reservation.

I too use a 310 and a Swimovate Poolmate for my pool swims.

The poolmate has a scratched screen due to Rubbing lane ropes etc.
    Now Garmin is a bit more durable but still a possibility.
    Having damaged 1 x 310 already from the smallest of drops, I now look after the replacement like a piece of glass. Shame the screen isn't more durable on 910 but does mention a slight recess.

I'll prob buy this too... Especially if poolmate packs in or I break the 310 etc.

In terms of functions, the 910 ticks all the boxes at last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I like it a lot although not a chance i am asking the missus for it. I have spent enough already this year on gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Impressive piece of kit.

I usually wait a year or so after a gadget comes out but this is tempting given that I have no bike computer etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Have just gone through DC Rainmaker's review. I want one too. Finally a watch that warrants an upgrade from my 405. Advantages over a 405 (for a runner):
    1 second recording
    No stupid bezel
    20 Hour battery Life
    Barometric Altimeter (just for more accurate elevation data)
    Bread-crumb trails/courses
    Hard buttons
    Vibration alerts
    Four data fields (per screen)

That run/walk thing sounds a bit crap though! Also it looks a bit Casio/retro. :)
    Wonder if the GPS chipset is any more accurate/quicker to aquire? DC Rainmaker didn't seem to mention/cover the topic.

That run/walk thing sounds a bit crap though!

The 910XT is a multisports watch not a runners watch. Amongst multisports athletes its been accepted that an organised run/walk strategy is faster than a run for IM marathons (its also true for straight marathons but it will take a few years before ye lot come to accept that too (think to 2:30 or so and after that the research says it no longer is faster). Many 310xt users have lamented the inability to get splits AND have a run walk reminder.

For me it was confidence building in that they have obviously taken someone on who knows multisports.

The 910XT is a multisports watch not a runners watch.
    Damn. Does that mean I can't buy it?
    its been accepted that an organised run/walk strategy is faster than a run for IM marathons (its also true for straight marathons but it will take a few years before ye lot come to accept that too (think to 2:30 or so and after that the research says it no longer is faster). Many 310xt users have lamented the inability to get splits AND have a run walk reminder.
    I definitely don't buy that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Amongst multisports athletes its been accepted that an organised run/walk strategy is faster than a run for IM marathons (its also true for straight marathons but it will take a few years before ye lot come to accept that too (think to 2:30 or so and after that the research says it no longer is faster).

Gonna open new thread in main forum as its way OT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭opus

Nice looking piece of kit, I'd like the accurate elevation data cause I use it for hillwalking as well as running but not so much that I just justify ditching the 310xt for it, well at least not yet anyway :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Has anyone bought or used a 910 yet? Interested in feedback and where's the most competitively proced place to buy one.

pgibbo wrote: »
    Has anyone bought or used a 910 yet? Interested in feedback and where's the most competitively proced place to buy one.

Always watch ebay, especially after Christmas for unwanted gifts. Got my 310, brand new, dirt cheap in an ebay auction.

pgibbo wrote: »

Hope to get mine mid dec from the states. Loathe to pay irish prices!

Hope to get mine mid dec from the states. Loathe to pay irish prices!
    I'm heading over there mid-December, but don't reckon that if I ordered one now, it wouldn't be available on time. Have you ordered one yet Tunney? Amazon.com?

I'm heading over there mid-December, but don't reckon that if I ordered one now, it wouldn't be available on time. Have you ordered one yet Tunney? Amazon.com?

Nope, not yet, today. Bloke lives in NYC and comes home reguarly so if not there mid dec no biggie :)

Now not shipping until February 2012 - quality issues

Pity

• Registered Users Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

Pity

Pity

Damn pity is right. Mine was being order in the US for me as well. amphkingwest has been so good enough to lend me his 305 for the last 2 months. Another mate is going to lend me his 305 once I give this one back to amphking.

It will prob be May when I get one...but I am holding out for one as I like the sounds of it :) (so long as quality issues are sorted)

DCRainmaker compares swim function with the swimsense

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/12/in-depth-swimming-comparison-between.html

• Advertisement

DCRainmaker compares swim function with the swimsense

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/12/in-depth-swimming-comparison-between.html

Given I have a SwimSense and 310xt I won't now be changing. SwimSense edges it based on the "not having to hit a button to pause". Just now need to write a converted for the SwimSense data so that it can be uploaded to Garmin Connect.

Advertisement